Christmas Vacation Blackhawks Griswold Jersey

PHArchivist

Master Member
Been wanting one of these for some time now...

Last year, I did a bit of homework on it, but never pulled the trigger. Looks like I wasn't the only one:

http://www.therpf.com/f9/griswold-blackhawks-jersey-xmas-vacation-133860/

The info in that thread (cboath's post in particular) is very good. I'd like to add to it...

I got my jersey yesterday...

As suggested, there are many places on line you can get these. They all appear the same and are all $150 - $200.

In my endeavour, I discovered that a company called CCM used to produce the jerseys, and now they are made by Reebok. Quality is about the same.

But rather than order one on-line (not even sure what size I'd wear with a hockey jersey), I found a local retailer in Anaheim that had a generic Blackhawks shirt in stock. And in the right size (which I confirmed when I got to the store).

I also learned that when it comes to customizing (adding names and numbers to the jerseys), there are two routes you can take:
--Heat transfers (glossy, flush with fabric)
--Sewn on appliques

My store could do the sewn-on version. But it would take 14 days and cost $95 (which I learned is standard fare).

Or they could do the heat transfer for $5-$20 range, and do it in-store, same day.

So I plugged in the Blu-ray for the clearest reference I could get. Per the image on my 1080p 60" TV, I couldn't tell if the screen-used garment had the sewn-on appliques, or heat transfer. But even in hi-def, I could not seen any indication that they were sewn-on (no physical releif to the name or numbers).

I invite you all to make (and share) your own assessment...

So I went with the heat transfer.

I walked out with my jersey in hand, and spent all of $80. The shirt alone was $99.00 with a 25% discount, and the guy was cool enough not to charge for the heat transfers.

More in a bit...

Last edited:
OK so before anyone gets their hopes up for dead-on screen accuracy (this is the RPF after all!), you all are going to have to settle for "close enough".

The jerseys today are about 95% the same as they were 20 years ago (unlike pro soccer shirts which change each season!). The Blackhawks road shirt is largely unchanged. But its not exactly the same as it was then. More later...

And my own shirt...?

Well, the font and placement of the "00"s is not quite right, and I'm still not sure if the original had heat transfers or sewn-on appliques. But oh well - I got a great price and didn't have to wait for shipping. So that, along with the built-in differences, result in a shirt that's about 90% accurate.

Enough blathering on... As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Give me a minute or two to add some images.

Last edited:
OK, here is the photo essay:

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-005.jpg-128850d1353899698

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-006.jpg-128851d1353899698

Here you can see the differences in the numbers on mine.
Keep in mind that the "pre-done" ones you can get on-line appear
to have the correct font and placement.
Also note the "W" is different.

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-014.jpg-128859d1353899698

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-007.jpg-128852d1353899698

This is the same patch that the "pre-done" ones will have.
You can tell even from the standard-def screen cap that the
original was true embroidery, where as this one is not.

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-013.jpg-128858d1353899698

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-008.jpg-128853d1353899698

Also, Reebok seemingly loves to splash their name all over their products;
these "Reebok" badges are now unavoidable, and were clearly not on the original.

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-010.jpg-128855d1353899698

Last edited:
Couple more shots, and observations...

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-017.jpg-128866d1353900862

You can clearly see that the collar is a bit different on the modern shirts;
not a huge difference, but noticeable.

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-015.jpg-128863d1353900704

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-011.jpg-128864d1353900704

The Indian Head is pretty close to the original.

christmas-vacation-blackhawks-griswold-jersey-cv-016.jpg-128865d1353900704

Last edited:
Outstanding!!! Great job! Love that movie!

It's almost time to get out my Marty Moose mugs and set up the 1/6th Clark W. Griswold display!

Wow this thread sort of died...

The CCM shirt I purchased a couple years ago is far closer to the original. I got it from CT Jerseys in Canada. All patches are embroidered; the shoulder patch too. Just like the original. It fits looser and the material is not as soft as the Reebok, but its a more accurate shirt.

I also found a place that sold just patches.

I was able to order all the "00"s plus nameplates for both GRISWOLD and my own last name. I think I'll be sewing my own name over the "GRISWOLD" heat transfers on the Reebok sweater. That way, I can have both a screen-accurate shirt, and a "fictionallty accurate" shirt (Clark had a Blackhawks shirt with HIS name; I will mahve one with MY name)...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back