Interactive R2-D2 - worth it?

mykindofscum

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey, had thoughts about getting one of those interactive R2-D2s (approximately 18 inches high) in the back of my mind for a long time, and the kids are getting old enough now that they might enjoy it. I sure wouldn't mind him bringing me a drink when I'm sitting at the dining room table working on costumes lol.

Prices are all over the map, $100 plus or minus for a used one, $200-$350 for a new one.

Anyone have experience with one, thoughts to share? Thanks in advance

I kick myself to this day for buying one at Kmart when they first came out for $50 new, and then took it back thinking "I don't need to be buying a toy like this". When I decided I really DID want one, the prices had skyrocketed. :cry I should have kept it.

We used one as our ring-bearer at our wedding. He sat at the front with the ring box in his claw. Afterward we let him dance around. Pretty cool little thing - my nephew likes to visit with him too. It kind of makes me wish I had the resources to build a full-size one though.

They are great fun, especially if kids can control it. I have several of these left over I bought for R2 builders. PM me as they are much more affordable than those prices and I'd be happy to have them gone.

They are great fun, especially if kids can control it. I have several of these left over I bought for R2 builders. PM me as they are much more affordable than those prices and I'd be happy to have them gone.

Reason 200123 who I love this place. Yup they are cool. Not only are they a cheap replica, they are interactive and very accurate.

I was given one for a Christmas present a few years ago. I played with it for one day. It still sits beside my entertainment center but I haven't turned it on in a couple of years.

I got mine back when they first went on sale. Looks great on the shelf even better chasing my dog around. My niece and nephew love playing with it too. I still play with it from time to time but usually save the batteries so when the kids come over so it's more special. Usually when they tire of it is when I take the Falcon and figures down. His AI is pretty fun too.

If I remember correctly, the went on sale for some time and then it was discontinued. After that, prices began soaring on Ebay ($200+). A bit later (maybe a couple years?) they began selling them again and I bought mine at Costco for $60. Definitely worth it if you have kids (and even if you don't).

Thank you everyone who provided comments, they were helpful and I really appreciate them. I have given each of you reputation points here on RPF, just a small way to say thanks.

Very Special Thank You to Philip Wise / RebelScum for making it happen. Here are the results:

interactive_R2D2_2012_zpsdec94fc6.jpg

Thanks again,
- Tom

Last edited:
We used one as our ring-bearer at our wedding. He sat at the front with the ring box in his claw. Afterward we let him dance around. Pretty cool little thing - my nephew likes to visit with him too. It kind of makes me wish I had the resources to build a full-size one though.

one of the neatest things? If you can build a full size one, you can transplant the electronics from the small one and make the big one do exactly the same thing ;o). youtube it :)

That's a great pic of the kids and Artoo in front of the fireplace. :thumbsup That's a good shot for a Christmas card.

I still want to get one of these myself if I can find a good price.

Artoo is with us another year. Like anyone else who ages, he needs some surgery on one of his leg joints, but that will be a good winter project.

Thank you again, Rebelscum! Merry Christmas to all, and best wishes for a Happy, Healthy, and Successful New Year 2016!

image_zps5vricfzr.jpeg

image.jpeg
My granddaughter LOOOOVES R-2. However, she thinks he's sentient. One time R-2 was randomly patrolling the room while Mia was playing with something. R-2 rolled up next to her and stopped. She reached out without taking her eyes off of her toys and patted R-2's dome. Like a puppy had come up to her and she greeted it.
She'll talk to it, and when it beeps she assumes it's talking back. We gave her one of those smaller Disney store R-2's, that one she doesn't think is sentient, that's her toy.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back