Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Salazar better be a damn good pirate for him to have his name on the title.

Also, while this is the first time I've read of it, has that been title since last year? :confused

Ah, okay then. I guess that makes sense. Maybe Dead Men Tell no Tales doesn't work that well over seas then....
That's what I was thinking. Some sayings and/or phrases in English don't translate well into other languages, or make no sense to other cultures, and vice versa.

Getting tired of all this super-natural bull ****...

Can't we just get on with some honest-to-goodness old fashioned pirating?
At this point, probably not. They painted themselves into a corner by including the supernatural elements in Curse of the Black Pearl, and now they're stuck with it because audiences expect it.

At this point, probably not. They painted themselves into a corner by including the supernatural elements in Curse of the Black Pearl, and now they're stuck with it because audiences expect it.

Hate to say, but I agree...

And - at a glance - follows the ride. BUT, upon closer inspection there is not much super natural going on in the ride.

I wouldn't mind one supernatural element, but having several is overkill and just adds to the 'gimickiness' that the franchise became full of.

Every pirate fight is kinda the same. Parry, jump, parry, run around, activate some lever to be pulled to higher ground, parry on planks, jump off, run around, parry, parry, repeat. e__e

I agree. The first one was pirates with a supernatural element but it felt more piraty to me. The second and third one I felt tried to do a lot of world building and added a lot more magic stuff. The fourth one.... eh. I liked the first one a lot and it was obviously supposed to be a stand alone film.

Salazar in the teaser trailer just smacks of Davy Jones to me. Supernatural captain with a supernatural crew seeking to kill Jack Sparrow.

I'll still see it but as a pirate fanatic... I'll stick with Black Sails as my go to Pirate show at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

vlcsnap-2017-02-05-17h28m43s712.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't wanna spoil anything for myself by watching trailers.....but are Ragetti and Pintel back? I kind of didn't like how Barbossa didn't have his two loyal henchmen in the 4th one.

I don't wanna spoil anything for myself by watching trailers.....but are Ragetti and Pintel back? I kind of didn't like how Barbossa didn't have his two loyal henchmen in the 4th one.

Not from the IMDB. They are bringing Scrum from the 4th one and Marty from the original trilogy as well as of course Gibbs and Will Turner.

Also someone listed as
Young Captain Teague (Jack's father) so it seems there might be some type of flashback or turn of events that Jack's father was involved in way back in the day and affect the current events.

I'm surprised I haven't heard more about the OTHER rumored Cameo that's whispered to be coming at the end of it. I probably don't need to say much more about it. I still have doubts, but the source I read it in wasn't The Onion, either..

possible trailer spoiler

The girl running from the ocean..was that the mermaid from the 4th film?

I could be wrong but looking at the cast list the only character from the 4th movie to continue is Scrum. Yay.... wait.... no, not excited.

It's not the same actress so I doubt it. The characters name is listed as Carina Smith

This was listed in the character's bio on IMDB, not sure how accurate it is:

Though women had no right to study at university in her time, Carina Smyth fought against that rule. She eventually came in possession of a diary with clues that would lead to the mystical trident of Poseidon. Along the way, she encountered the infamous pirate Jack Sparrow.

Interesting to see Barbossa back in his privateering uniform considering how 4 ended...

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back