Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Frankly, I'm surprised they're still making this series at all. I remember hardly anything from any of the sequels except one or two set-piece battles or duels or whatever, and I'm not even 100% sure I watched the 4th one. If I did, I remember literally nothing about it.

What I liked about the first one was that, even though he was a slurring, prancing fool, he was still a badass at heart. POTC 2 & 3 went waaay overboard (pun intended) with the buffoonery rendering Captain Jack Sparrow a feeble nincompoop.
Agreed.

Frankly, I'm surprised they're still making this series at all. I remember hardly anything from any of the sequels except one or two set-piece battles or duels or whatever, and I'm not even 100% sure I watched the 4th one. If I did, I remember literally nothing about it.
The 4th one was the worst so far. I wish I couldn't remember it.

I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I've now seen two different trailers for Dead Men Tell No Tales, and almost everything in them looks like they're re-treading ground they covered in the first four movies; different actors playing characters with different names, but still more of the same. On Stranger Tides was disappointing, and if they have nothing new to bring to the franchise they should just call it quits.

Hoping most of the dialogue isn't during a 20min Boring Sword fight like in "On Stanger Tides". I liked the previous 3, and have faith in the new film.

Just saw a sneak preview on Tuesday and all I can say this one is the best of them all!!! PiratesLife!!

PiratesLife.jpg

Everyone is saying it's as good as the previous one - the new "Disney-fied" version. Jack will always be Jack and I'll see em as long as Johnny makes em.

Dead Man's Chest is the best one

Just saw it. It was far better than On Stranger Tides. I didn't love everything about it and there were a few needless things thrown in that just left unanswered questions but I thought it was a solid film.

I don't listen to media reviews..they aren't fans and get more views for negative reviews anyway. From all i've seen the average theater goer likes it.

my own, spoiler free review :

Just got back from watching, not as good as the first one, but certainly more on par with 3 and not nearly as rough as 4. There was a bit of continuity issues that I hope are explained more fully. But it was a enjoyable experience and I'm glad to have seen it and want to see a 6th one.

Last edited by a moderator:
While I enjoyed it more than on stranger tides, I can't wrap my head around continuity issues. Some of these I have read elsewhere, others are my own. Warning: SPOILERS

SPOILERS

1. Carina Smith (Barbosa's daughter) was left on an orphanage doorstep when she was a baby. Barbosa mentions that her mother Margaret had died. Now, I can't figure out when Barbosa could have conceived her in the recent past, as: she appears very young, about Henry Tueners age, and Barbosa was either a cursed undead pirate for years ( 1st movie), or dead (end of first movie), or only recently resurrected (2 and 3rd movies). At the end of the 3rd film, Henry is conceived, and then flash forward 10 years when he gets to see his dad in the after credits scene. When did Barbosa have time to settle down and have a child? Right before On Stranger Tides? But that means Carina would barely be a teenager in this film.
2. How old IS Jack Sparrow in this film? He would have to be mid to late 50s, right? Given that Henry Turner is 19 or 20, which puts this film about 20 years after At Worlds End. Barbosa says that he got Blackbeards sword 5 winters ago, so we know this film occurs 5 years since On Stranger Tides.
3. Why would Davy Jones be resurrected?
4. You can basically only see the first 3 films and follow what is going on. The only reference to On Stranger Tides is the one above with Blackbeards sword.
5. How did the constable on St. Martin not know that Jack had a drydocked ship on the edge of town?
6. Apparently Salazar gave Jack the nickname Sparrow, when recollecting how they first met. Jack was just a boy at the time, and Salazar had never met him before. Says he saw Jack up in the crows nest, like a little bird, a sparrow. But he never had time to call Jack that, as he was chasing him in the Devils triangle. How did Jack get the name sparrow, if no one ever heard Salazar call him that?
7. How did Salazar know anything about the magic compass? We saw Jack inherit the compass from his dead captain. But Salazar was on another ship, heading the other way. It was only when Jack teased him that Salazar chased him into the Devils triangle. Salazar was never on the ship with Jack, he didn't know about the compass ahead of time , and he definitely did not know that Jack had the compass. Salazar's ship crashed and they all died and became undead at that point. Again, how would Salazar have ever even know or seen the magic compass? It's what he's chasing the entire film.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to see this, but I'm curious what exactly people don't like about POTC4, as it seems to be brought up a lot when discussing this new one. I just rewatched it and honestly I think I like it easily as much as 3, maybe more. Nothing touches the first, but I still like the series as a whole.

I actually liked the 4th film pretty well. I thought the subplot with The Spanish was pointless but I enjoyed it. I just didn't enjoy it as much as the first three. This newest one feels more like the first three.

Saw it opening night, and while it was entertaining in the moment, the more I thought about it afterwords, the worse it felt.

Feels like the writers tried to conjure up new, totally unheard-of BS rules ("don't betray the compass" being the real standout) and then didn't define the rules clearly enough.

- Why does lifting the Dutchman's curse mean Davy Jones is alive... and even if he is, why on earth would he still be in cursed form??
- Doesn't the Dutchman serve a necessary purpose? If there's no more Dutchman, what does that mean for the souls that need to be ferried?

And then, in classic flashback origin-story cliche, the entire mystery behind Jack's legendary status is gone. While I liked the explanation of the name "Sparrow," I absolutely *hate* how he got his title, captainship, and about half of his effects ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I thought it had been generally accepted that he acquired various pieces of his outfit throughout his adventures, not just conveniently given to him. On that note:

- He now receives the zombie finger piece of eight here, even if in the fourth one he explains how he made it himself.
- He receives the compass, even though Tia Dalma explicitly stated he bartered it from her.

Add the whole Carina/Barbossa subplot, and it's like the writers never even saw the other movies, and didn't know how badly they made it irreconcilable with the other movies.

And just to be clear, I also showed up in full Jack regalia, and probably the best part of the evening was the everyone lining up to take photos before and after the movie. Coming from a real fan, I became rather depressed.

Jack never says he made the finger bone dangle. Just got done watching On Stranger Tides and there is nothing in the film that states he made it. I know it was in the script and all but since in never made it into the film, it doesn't actually affect the scene in Dead Men at all. Jack just went back to using an older charm.

Regarding the compass, who knows? All I can guess is that somewhere between that flashback and Curse of the Black Pearl, Jack lost the compass and Tia Dalma came into possession of it and he was forced to barter for it's return.

Davy Jones and the Dutchman is still a mystery. Maybe since a goddess placed the curse as a punishment, it cannot simply be broken. Maybe it can only be transferred and since Wil's curse was broken (and since it was never a punishment for him) it reverted to Jones and resurrected him. We have seen people return from the dead multiple times in this series. As you said, the dutchman serves an important purpose and needs a captain.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Barbossa and Carina thing but I have no problem accepting that it's possible that he tried to settle down a bit after At World's End. We know that at least 19 years have passed since the battle with Beckett, so, that's plenty of time for everything to fit into place.

Saw it opening night, and while it was entertaining in the moment, the more I thought about it afterwords, the worse it felt.

Feels like the writers tried to conjure up new, totally unheard-of BS rules ("don't betray the compass" being the real standout) and then didn't define the rules clearly enough.

- Why does lifting the Dutchman's curse mean Davy Jones is alive... and even if he is, why on earth would he still be in cursed form??
- Doesn't the Dutchman serve a necessary purpose? If there's no more Dutchman, what does that mean for the souls that need to be ferried?

And then, in classic flashback origin-story cliche, the entire mystery behind Jack's legendary status is gone. While I liked the explanation of the name "Sparrow," I absolutely *hate* how he got his title, captainship, and about half of his effects ALL AT THE SAME TIME. I thought it had been generally accepted that he acquired various pieces of his outfit throughout his adventures, not just conveniently given to him. On that note:

- He now receives the zombie finger piece of eight here, even if in the fourth one he explains how he made it himself.
- He receives the compass, even though Tia Dalma explicitly stated he bartered it from her.

Add the whole Carina/Barbossa subplot, and it's like the writers never even saw the other movies, and didn't know how badly they made it irreconcilable with the other movies.

And just to be clear, I also showed up in full Jack regalia, and probably the best part of the evening was the everyone lining up to take photos before and after the movie. Coming from a real fan, I became rather depressed.

This is what happens when the idiots behind the scenes don't watch the films that came before.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back