Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Re: Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Beyond the Seas World

No it's not just silly fun. It's boring. I can enjoy "popcorn entertainment" as much as the next guy but the POTC sequels (and the TF movies I might as well add as an example) are BORING. BORING BORING BORING. That's the exact opposite of what I want in a popcorn movie. I want 90 minutes of lighthearted escapist fare. The POTC sequels had me checking my watch. I would literally, no ****, rather do yard work than sit down to that dull ass crap.

I am not against ham sandwiches. I enjoy cinematic junkfood. But that doesn't mean I'll just put whatever is in front of me in my mouth. I'll take a ham sandwich, but damned if I'll choke on a **** one.

So Robocop is brilliant, Robocop 2 is a lot of fun but not as good, and Robocop 3 is unwatchable crap. You could do the same with Terminator, or Predator, Die Hard, or a million other popular franchises, and to act like being critical of lesser installments is being snobby seems...weird. YOU CAN HAVE GOOD, WELL-MADE POPCORN ENTERTAINMENT. Look at Die Hard and then watch Die Hard 4 immediately after and tell me they're even in the same ballpark. Or city. Or solar system.

Quoted in full, for extremely satisfying truthiness. :thumbsup

Actually, you know, the more I think about it, the more I think cayman is hitting on the very nucleus of my issue with modern Hollywood. I kvetch about movies on here....not infrequently...and it's because of EXACTLY what he describes. I'm frequently met with the underlying sentiment of "Geez, it doesn't all have to be Shakespeare. Can't you just enjoy a popcorn movie?" And the answer, of course, is yes. Yes, I can. I love a GOOD popcorn movie. Not every movie I watch needs to be the height of drama. But there's a BIG difference between a WELL CRAFTED popcorn movie and a highly polished turd. And sure, that turd looks shiny, but it's still just a piece of s**t in the end, isn't it?

To continue with food analogies, sometimes when I go to the movies, I want haute cuisine. Other times I just want a burger. But when I get a burger, I'd like it if there was a place where I knew I could go to get a really well made, lovingly crafted, exquisitely flavored burger, instead of just another friggin' fast food joint. My chief complaint over the last few years has been that it seems like my only options are ever McDonalds or....more McDonalds. And sometimes I even enjoy McDonalds, but not for every damn meal. Sadly, it seems that's my only option, most of the time.

There seems to be a plethora of haute cuisine out there. But there's this vast wasteland between that and nothing but fast food joints as far as the eye can see. Where's the middle ground? There isn't one.

Actually, you got the title wrong, its:

Pirates of the Caribbean 5, Beyond Sea World, The Quest for Shamu.

The Pirates franchise (for me) went EXACTLY the same route as the Batman one did. I loved Batman (89) and Returns. While I could watch Batman Forever and B&R if they were on the boob tube (and nothing else was on), it terms of my personal DVD library they don't exist and there's no urge to buy them to be some kind of 'completist'.

I loved the first and second Pirates, but the 3rd and 4th leave me cold, and lack the playful high seas adventure of the first 2. I've unfortunately lost any faith that a 5th could recapture what made me enjoy the first 2 so much.

The Pirates movies make the prequels look like masterpieces.

QFT! I didn't even see the last craptastic Pirates movie.

Can't they just let this franchise die? It is one of the worst letdown franchises since Terminator.

^The last one was not as good as Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull :p

Anyway, @Shylaah: That "plot" you posted, it's a fake right? And the Depp&Paradis split for real...:cry??

Cheers

"Geez, it doesn't all have to be Shakespeare. Can't you just enjoy a popcorn movie?" And the answer, of course, is yes. Yes, I can. I love a GOOD popcorn movie.

For me, they kindof ARE Shakespeare. (And I actually, you know, read, see and perform it.) People just don't let themselves see something like Pirates that way. They have certainly reaped equal interpretative rewards for me. I understand that my experience is not typical, however.

Actually, you know, the more I think about it, the more I think cayman is hitting on the very nucleus of my issue with modern Hollywood. I kvetch about movies on here....not infrequently...and it's because of EXACTLY what he describes. I'm frequently met with the underlying sentiment of "Geez, it doesn't all have to be Shakespeare. Can't you just enjoy a popcorn movie?" And the answer, of course, is yes. Yes, I can. I love a GOOD popcorn movie. Not every movie I watch needs to be the height of drama. But there's a BIG difference between a WELL CRAFTED popcorn movie and a highly polished turd. And sure, that turd looks shiny, but it's still just a piece of s**t in the end, isn't it?

Exactly. Expecting QUALITY isn't being some ivory tower snob. I LOVE a good popcorn movie.

I like Aliens but think Resurrection is meh. Am I a snob?
I like Terminator but think T3 is a stinker. Am I a snob?
I like Robocop but wouldn't watch Robocop 3 with a gun to my head.
I like POTC but couldn't finish the third one.
I like Die Hard but can't tell you why anyone would sit through the fourth one.
I like Star Trek II but not Star Trek V.
I like Blade but not Blade Trinity.
I like Spiderman 2 but not 3.
I like X-men: First Class but not Origins: Wolverine.
I like Mad Max but think Thunderdome is weak.
I like Pitch Black but think Riddick is bloated.

None of the movies I'm listing as things I like are high art, or Oscar bait, or "Shakespeare." (Of course, some Oscar bait is reaaaaaallllly bad by many measures, but that's a different talk). But they are well made popcorn films. (Which MAKES THEM BETTER THAN POORLY MADE "ART" MOVIES, incidentally. Well made is well made. But again, that's a different talk.)

What I don't get is the attitude some people have that they will uncritically watch ANYTHING. If I think, say, Green Lantern sucks, it's not becuase I was comparing it to Hamlet. It's because I was comparing it to X-men 2, or Iron Man, or The Dark Knight, or any number of well made movies IN THE SAME GENRE. I'm not holding it up to some abstract, outside ideal of "art." I'm holding it up against its kind, and find it lacking.

I hold the POTC sequels up against their kind (and the original) and they lack. Hard.

How can some people just uncritically view...whatever? As if they don't have...preferences? I don't get that. It's like not being able to tell if it's cold out, or if milk is sour.

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with some of the staff at POTC 5 online? I REALLY want to make concept art for them (just a little bit) because I will not graduate before the possible sixth movie will be completed. I am a huge fan of the series, and if I could try to draw some concept art just a TINY part, it would be the best thing I have ever done. I live in Europe, so I will have to send art over email then... this is my dream.

Does anyone know how I can get in contact with some of the staff at POTC 5 online? I REALLY want to make concept art for them (just a little bit) because I will not graduate before the possible sixth movie will be completed. I am a huge fan of the series, and if I could try to draw some concept art just a TINY part, it would be the best thing I have ever done. I live in Europe, so I will have to send art over email then... this is my dream.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but that's extremely unlikely to happen. Even if you could somehow contact the producers, they don't usually accept unsolicited submissions for legal reasons.

Go run a Google search on Anderson v. Stallone. That's why they want nothing to do with you and will return unsolicited submissions unopened.

I liked the first three. Especially Black pearl. To me it had a unique essence to it. Like everyone tried to make a wicked effort in making the film. Kinda like the first Matrix film. After that they sortoff became a weaker carbon copy of the first but lost that essence. I feel the same way about Crank 1 vs. Crank 2 HV. Gore was definitely a better director than the guy that did the 4th. As for a fifth I think they need to rethink and rework the whole franchise and introduce strong characters and get back to something more Pirate like and not so Indiana Jonesish.

How can some people just uncritically view...whatever? As if they don't have...preferences? I don't get that. It's like not being able to tell if it's cold out, or if milk is sour.

That's it, yup. Some folks don't have a critical bone in their bodies. Just the way it is. I can't grok it either, but then guys like you and me tend more to the opposite extreme. :)

The title for this movie will help Sea World rake in more profits.

Eh, it's ungrammatical nonsensical fanfic. Ignore it, it will not see the light of day.

That's it, yup. Some folks don't have a critical bone in their bodies. Just the way it is. I can't grok it either, but then guys like you and me tend more to the opposite extreme. :)

I knew there was a reason I liked you two.

Back atcha, Dan.

I, um, try to be all tolerant and it-takes-all-kinds and such, but the truth is I'm internally screaming WHAT THE FRAK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!? How can you NOT BE ABLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A FINE WINE AND A BOTTLE OF RUBBING ALCOHOL!?!???! at the top of my mental lungs.

AUUGGGHHH!!

:lol

Oh, by the way - my wife and I differ significantly on the ambient temperature, and she can't tell when milk is sour. She really can't!

She can spot a ****ty film a mile off, though. :)

Heh, yeah, I tend to be the same way. On the one hand, it both baffles and occasionally infuriates me that some folks will just accept any old dreck. The frustration comes from the fact that, but for people doing this, I have a hunch Hollywood might actually, you know, try now and then.

But at the same time, I recognize that I'm drastically outnumbered and that my attitude is simply not that of the vast majority of folks who are perfectly happy to watch Michael Bay's latest.

Ah well.

As for smelling sour milk, as long as ONE person in the house can do it, you're fine. :)

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back