Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

We need to start a NON-SPOILER thread. Mostly all the stuff people are hiding in "spoilers" has already been distributed by Disney in the summary of the movie.

I could be wrong but looking at the cast list the only character from the 4th movie to continue is Scrum. Yay.... wait.... no, not excited.

It's not the same actress so I doubt it. The characters name is listed as Carina Smith

This was listed in the character's bio on IMDB, not sure how accurate it is:

Though women had no right to study at university in her time, Carina Smyth fought against that rule. She eventually came in possession of a diary with clues that would lead to the mystical trident of Poseidon. Along the way, she encountered the infamous pirate Jack Sparrow.

Interesting to see Barbossa back in his privateering uniform considering how 4 ended...

Ah ok , I just thought it was her from the bit of trailer screen time. Made sense she was fleeing from the water to me.

I think it was rumored she was going to be Barbossa's daughter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok , I just thought it was her from the bit of trailer screen time. Made sense she was fleeing from the water to me.

I think it was rumored she was going to be Barbossa's daughter?

I noticed she was a bit more buxom than the mermaid from POTC 4 so figured it couldn't be her. Also, the mermaid didn't develop legs until after she was out of the water and this girl is running while in the water. Not sure how well the rules apply.

Could be his daughter, why not.... Seems all this continues to just be a sordid confusing family affair. Will was Bootstraps kid, Jack is Teagues kid, Henry is Will's kid, Angelica was Blackbeards kid..... maybe she's Jack's kid who will marry Will's kid? hahaha

I noticed she was a bit more buxom than the mermaid from POTC 4 so figured it couldn't be her. Also, the mermaid didn't develop legs until after she was out of the water and this girl is running while in the water. Not sure how well the rules apply.

Could be his daughter, why not.... Seems all this continues to just be a sordid confusing family affair. Will was Bootstraps kid, Jack is Teagues kid, Henry is Will's kid, Angelica was Blackbeards kid..... maybe she's Jack's kid who will marry Will's kid? hahaha

You may not be far off...there was some sort of romantic relationship she gets involved in with the " new Will" which is Will's son. Maybe something with his kid is what makes Will go " off mission" and become all Davy-like.

Feels like a lot of setup for POTC 6 ....of course they seem to be mostly ignoring POTC 4 at this point.

They seem to be using the CGI "hair under water" effect which was so distracting in "Arrival". Why can't someone in the production just say no! It doesn't look good. Otherwise the trailer is amazing, I'm looking forward to this one.

It seems to have a lot of the same elements as the first POTC movie which is not surprising.

I can't help but disagree. Besides that weird curse-like effect Salazar&co have, and a hanging, from what the trailer revealed, everything else is more along the lines of what we saw in the third and fourth movies.

I couldn't keep away from the trailer and the movie just looks like more of the same crap, imo. Salazar seems more interesting than Blackbeard who sucked so bad. This movie may be better than the fourth one though, but only because the fourth set the bar so low. You know, I used to hope we'd get a POTC prequel about Jack's early pirate life. I just dislike that this Salazar character is tied to it now.

I loved the first Pirates movie, but 2-4 are bloated, incoherent messes. This new trailer was great and gives me hope that the movie will be more like the original and not like the awful sequels.

I loved the first Pirates movie, but 2-4 are bloated, incoherent messes. This new trailer was great and gives me hope that the movie will be more like the original and not like the awful sequels.
That's funny, 'cause I watched the trailer and thought, "Oh good, another bloated, incoherent mess of a movie." :lol

I can't help but disagree. Besides that weird curse-like effect Salazar&co have, and a hanging, from what the trailer revealed, everything else is more along the lines of what we saw in the third and fourth movies..
Jack in a cell with a young brown haired proper young man trying to free him so he can help him do something (maybe save the girl?).... a strong willed woman that has an obvious attraction to the more docile young man while they have a back and forth sparring relationship. Jack having a long history with a "cursed" magical villain and a cursed magical ship/crew.

Nothing like the first one, you're right.....

I entirely agree with you that it's more of the same crap (see above ;-) ) but isn't that the thing in the POTC movies? Barbossa, Davy Jones, blackbeard, Salazar... all magical unkillable villains with a history with Jack (aside from Blackbeard but his daughter took that on). Jack trying to save his hide while in the end he does the right thing?

I'd love a prequel but I can't see anyone playing a young Sparrow in the right way. And is he really tied to the point of ruining a prequel properly? Salazar from the trailer just seems to be a moment in Jack's career whereas Cutler Beckett seemed to have much more established history with Sparrow.

That's funny, 'cause I watched the trailer and thought, "Oh good, another bloated, incoherent mess of a movie." :lol

I do agree..... sadly... though for me it seems like it's trying to channel the first POTC it still seems like another bloated incoherent CGI mess of a movie. You'd think Disney would've have taken a page from how they revamped Star Wars with real effects and sets, etc.

Oh, I won't be surprised if it turns out like that, but I'm trying to remain optimistic and hope that maybe they can go out on a high note rather than repeating the mistakes of the sequels.

Jack in a cell with a young brown haired proper young man trying to free him so he can help him do something (maybe save the girl?).... a strong willed woman that has an obvious attraction to the more docile young man while they have a back and forth sparring relationship. Jack having a long history with a "cursed" magical villain and a cursed magical ship/crew.

Nothing like the first one, you're right.....

I entirely agree with you that it's more of the same crap (see above ;-) ) but isn't that the thing in the POTC movies? Barbossa, Davy Jones, blackbeard, Salazar... all magical unkillable villains with a history with Jack (aside from Blackbeard but his daughter took that on). Jack trying to save his hide while in the end he does the right thing?

I'd love a prequel but I can't see anyone playing a young Sparrow in the right way. And is he really tied to the point of ruining a prequel properly? Salazar from the trailer just seems to be a moment in Jack's career whereas Cutler Beckett seemed to have much more established history with Sparrow.
I had forgotten about that, but yes. It seems like they're trying certain things we've seen in CBP again, to perhaps give it that feel, that same sense of adventure. There was something nostalgic about it.

And it is the thing with POTC movies and I'm just not a fan of it. I dislike that the franchise went in that direction. CotBP had a magical curse affecting the BPs crew and that was it. The 'crap' was out of proportion by the third movie. DMC had a bit more than what was in CotBP but still nowhere near what the third movie had, however, the other gimmicky crap I don't like about the franchise actually started in DMC. And that is the often absurd sword fights in the movies. Repetitive; not immersive.

Also, I meant Salazar being tied to Sparrow's early life, not the prequel I wish we'd get. But perhaps you're right. Maybe Salazar is inconsequential to Jack's life. That's probably it since Jack seems to not know who he is and he's probably just yet another guy out to get him.

I had forgotten about that, but yes. It seems like they're trying certain things we've seen in CBP again, to perhaps give it that feel, that same sense of adventure. There was something nostalgic about it.

And it is the thing with POTC movies and I'm just not a fan of it. I dislike that the franchise went in that direction. CotBP had a magical curse affecting the BPs crew and that was it. The 'crap' was out of proportion by the third movie. DMC had a bit more than what was in CotBP but still nowhere near what the third movie had, however, the other gimmicky crap I don't like about the franchise actually started in DMC. And that is the often absurd sword fights in the movies. Repetitive; not immersive.

Also, I meant Salazar being tied to Sparrow's early life, not the prequel I wish we'd get. But perhaps you're right. Maybe Salazar is inconsequential to Jack's life. That's probably it since Jack seems to not know who he is and he's probably just yet another guy out to get him.

I definitely agree with you. The sword fights in the first movie were excellent. Those were Bob Anderson weren't they? It would make sense why they were so good. For me CoTBP was a pirate adventure movie with some supernatural elements... the rest of the POTC movies just seems to be supernatural movies with Jack Sparrow and some pirates in them.

I'll see this movie but if it's anything like OST I'm not going to be impressed. I'll just some old Black Sails episodes to make me feel better.

Oh, I won't be surprised if it turns out like that, but I'm trying to remain optimistic and hope that maybe they can go out on a high note rather than repeating the mistakes of the sequels.
I want to be optimistic, but that trailer makes it look like they're just piling supernatural elements on top of supernatural elements at this point, and I really wonder if there's a story beyond that or if it'll just be more of the same. Sadly, my money's on the latter.

I loved COTBP, but DMC and AWE began to slip into the "too much crap" category as mentioned above. I couldn't stand OST though. I honestly think it's one of my least favorite films, and this newest entry looks to be on par with that. ><

I barely even remember anything after the first one. Davy Jones looked really cool, at some point a bunch of crabs were carrying a ship, and some people were trapped inside a bamboo ball.....That's about all I remember.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back