1/25 Plymouth Valiant from Spielberg´s Duel

Hello

As mentioned in the thread for the truck from the movie duel, I have the car under construction. The Valiant was never released as a kit, so I started my own conversion with a Plymouth Duster and a Dodge Dart kit. The Duster´s front clip was mated to the Dart body and a lot of sheet was added to replicate the lines of the Valiant.

Some pics of how this thing went together.

6131343166396139.jpg

3062613437343763.jpg

6464306431616365.jpg

3736323366313164.jpg

3930343339333436.jpg

3833356663666539.jpg

3736376530346136.jpg

6263363336633761.jpg

6633353333643832.jpg

6263323564613737.jpg

There is still a lot of work needed, but it´s getting there.

I´m currently working on other models, so it will take some time for an update here. Just thought I´ll show it as it caught some interest in the other thread.

The body and some other parts are going to be casted in resin when the scratchbuilding is done.

Critics are much appreciated as I have no opportunity to take measurements from an original car. If something that I didn´t notice looks wrong, please give me a hint. Maybe there is an RPF member who has such a car.

Thanks for looking,
Kevin

Last edited:
As a car modeller with a preference for every day pre-90s cars, I am very interested in this thread.
I can give you one advice: go to the "Spotlight Hobbies" message board (
Model Message Board - Message Index ) and ask their help. The guys on that forum are the most knowledgeable. There are guys there who made models for production of AMT kits and others are car fanatics with a knowledge base that knocks you out.
I posted a link to your project here and the comments so far:
"Wow! I hope he's planning to cast that one!"
"An admirable effort, but the roof is WAY too low..." (An admirable effort, but the roof is WAY too low... *NM* *PIC*)
"I see what you mean, I was thinking the tail looked a little long, it was the roof height causing the perception."

You wanted opinions, you got them. They very willing to help you out, and are interested to see more of the project. The also can tell you something about the "Duel truck". Oh and while we are at that subject: the "Duel" truck "kit box" is a fake that was done for fun. Something like this: BSA - Everett Westphal Image Gallery.

Kind regards.

RKS

Looks good so far. The 2 kits matched up pretty well. Do you have a certain tool you use to cut the parts so they're straight and match up? I ask as i have a car i need to extend a bit and am worried about having them not match.

Thanks RKS, any help is much appreciated. I have already posted in the linked forum.

@Wes:
As you can see in the sixth picture the bodies didn't match up. I had to add a lot of sheet to match up the shape of the front fenders. Hours of sanding were needed to get the panels straight. A flat file is very helpful for stuff like that. The tools that I'm using are as basic as possible. I have only a surgical scalpel, a "custom-bent"metal file for fingernails and a variety of sanding paper.

What have you planned? Maybe I can help you to figure out how to do it.

Cheers,
Kevin

It's nothing too bad just turning a 2 door car into a 4 door car using 2 kits. I think i'll be okay as long as i go slow and make sure to keep a straight line. the kit's 1/32 believe it or not so it's not too bad to handle.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back