HELP: What am I supposed to be looking for in an air compressor/spray gun?

DovahKiller

Hey guys! Figured it was time for my first thread, as I've hit a wall that I just can't get my head around.

Is there anyone who can help me pick the right equipment for a spray gun/air compressor? I need an all purpose device that can spray coats of primer, but that I can also use for smaller detail and weathering.

I really am clueless here. I know I'll need different sized guns, but what specifications are the best on the guns, and how do I pick a compressor that would be most efficient for them?

EDIT: Any info on paint would also be really appreciated

Guns depend on the type of painting. If its just prop stuff and not large set pieces or cars you should be able to get by with a 'detailing' spray gun and an airbrush from any of the bigger gun manufacturers. If you dont know what paints you'll be spraying then just make sure the guns are certified for water bourne paints, the gun components will be stainless, aluminum and brass and thus wont rust.

You'll pick the compressor after you pick the spray guns. Guns will be a specific CFM rating and you'll want a compressor that is at least rated to output that rating. Keep in ming the tank capacity too, bigger is better for a more constant air stream and going longer between air charging.

Guns depend on the type of painting. If its just prop stuff and not large set pieces or cars you should be able to get by with a 'detailing' spray gun and an airbrush from any of the bigger gun manufacturers. If you dont know what paints you'll be spraying then just make sure the guns are certified for water bourne paints, the gun components will be stainless, aluminum and brass and thus wont rust.

You'll pick the compressor after you pick the spray guns. Guns will be a specific CFM rating and you'll want a compressor that is at least rated to output that rating. Keep in ming the tank capacity too, bigger is better for a more constant air stream and going longer between air charging.

I agree. The bigger the tank the better your work time. I had a small 20 gallon compressor, it was a rather big pain to try and paint with, more than 20-30 seconds worth of spraying and your air pressure drops making the coat you are working on splattery unless you stop and wait a couple minutes for the pressure to build back up. Really annoying and killed my motivation almost every time I used it.

If you go with a bigger unit, say 60 gallon or above, you will be able to work out just about anything. I used my Husky 60 gallon from Home Depot to paint the engine bay of my Charger. I even have it set up to use with my little air brush, all I needed was a coupler I bought at Harbor Freight and and a pressure regulator to drop the useable pressure down to a safe PSI for the little thing so it didn't explode in my hands.

Only thing you need to keep in mind is were to mount something that large. Any of the upright units like mine require they be lag bolted to a concrete floor to keep them from dancing all over the shop when they are charging the tank. The larger ones also seem to all be 220V units, so if you are in a area that uses 110V primarily (like USA) then you will have to find a spot to plug it in, like your stove outlet or your clothes dryer outlet. Safe 220V extension cords can be bought or made for around $100USD, but you need to make sure that the wire is rated for the current or it will turn into a lit fuse. Also they are LOUD when charging and expect a $400-$600 average price tag for the compressor alone.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup

Avolow.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back