Currency of the 'Verse...

Re: Currency of the 'Verse...

You know what's funny? I must have scoured that site 6 times looking for something like that page before I posted so I didn't look like a goof. :facepalm

Thanks hun!

Any suggestions on any other content folks might want some high res scans made available?

Last edited:
For anyone still interested in making Firefly currency on the metallic flecked vellum:

I was informed at my local art shack that it may be completely discontinued by the manufacturer. If you are like me and want some before it is completely gone and don't have the funds to order it by the sheet from England, I found an alternate supplier, local to the States.

Go to ThePaperMillStore.com and search for "Confetti"; The following is the actual name listing: WorldWin Paper Metallic Vellums Confetti Paper - 8 1/2 x 11 in 24 lb Bond Metallic 50 per Package

I ordered some and it looks fantastic. Go a tad easy on the ink saturation (fast draft at first to test your individual printer) and allow a lot more time to dry and cure than you normally would. I end up with smudges sometimes when using vellum.

Any suggestions for a good inkjet curing aid that won't crack or flake off if I fold the vellum?

P.S. I also posted this in the General Firefly/Serenity thread.

i have a stack of ngultrum, if you're interested in obtaining one for your own collection and/or scanning it. it's the real-world currency from bhutan that the credits are based on. just email me your name and address and how many you want and i'll mail them to you.

Last edited:

Fun with money! A show-off thread, with many sexy pictures!

(You may want to skip ahead now :lol)

So, when I'm not binge sleeping or rotting my brain with TV / movies / internet / smut, I consider myself something of a graphically-inclined designer-person.

I like sci-fi (duh), and occasionally design fictional money - I have mentioned that before, right?

Recently intrigued by Shapeways, I crudely designed and had manufactured some 'coins'. The largest coin with the hole you see below is my favorite. I had rather modest tools at my disposal: TinkerCAD Beta.

My coin is solid stainless steel (with some amount of bronze I don't know), and is almost exactly the same size as a Morgan silver dollar (the big coin with the eagle in my pics). That's 3.75 cm diameter or 1.5 inches in diameter.

This coin cost me about $30 US.

Note: there are other materials that Shapeways can 'print' in - Many others! Much cheaper options. Much cheaper.

Custom metal coins are cool as heck, but please shop around if you plan to get any done. I cannot recommend following my path.

Besides my exciting, futuristic, oriental, geometric 'Space Dollar', there are also some tiny, wretched Japanese Sen from circa WWII. Way too small to be any fun as props, FYI. I've also got an old US half-dollar (the larger coin with the lady's head facing to the right) and a nice copper Japanese coin (1 Yen, I think). Lovely toning and art on that, but a bit small and pricy to be a fun or useful prop.

Here are the last two coins, and I think this is rather clever - they're game tokens. Pachinko, I think. They are the lady facing to the left and the Japanese text surrounded by the fire / sunburst design. So, if you haven't thought about using (metal) play money or game tokens for 'filler' coins, give it a look-see. Depending on appearance and cost, it might be a reasonable idea.

Below all the coins are several banknotes, in various sizes, colors, designs and denominations. The 'matched set' with the sullen-looking gentleman in the funny hat are current Mongolian Tugrik, from eBay.

The one on the left with the big "$5" is my replica Train Job bar scene bill, available freely here & at FireflyProps.net. The rhinoceros is a reprint of a South African Rand bill, with some added 'character' by me. The "One-Uno" dollar note is entirely by me, but frankly isn't designed to fit in the Firefly universe. More of a Blade Runner theme going on there. Same thing with the rhino, actually ... No comments from the peanut gallery!

The note that says "Construction Bank" is a Chinese 'training' banknote from eBay. While Chinese 'training' bills can be had in large quantities relatively cheaply, and they are 'normal' banknote sized (assuming you get them in a Yuan denomination, and not Jiao), they are designed and executed cheaply. I'd actually recommend springing for the real Jiao from the 1980's - they're relatively cheap and look great. Slightly smaller than 'normal' banknotes, so let the buyer beware. Do your homework! Or print out fake money at home.

The last two bills, the Farmers Bank of Lilac, are my own design. Still a work-in-progress.

And here are the reasonable-size pictures, below. If you would like larger pics, perhaps for desktop backgrounds, just ask nicely.

I hope you've had a good ride - y'all come back now, y'hear?

-Mike J.

Of course, I love the big coin. I've always been a fan and I look forward to the bills from Lilac.

this reminds me i bought the currency set for myself on my birthday or x-mas 6 its been 6-10 and I have not opened the package after seeing this thread I think im afraid to open it lol

Some screen used FF coins and notes:

1zd0nxk.jpg

When I lived in Tampa, I found one of those dollar store type setups at a local flea market. The vendor had some of those silver dollar sized chinese coins for a quarter apiece. I bought the lot, figuring that at least some would have to be screen accurate.

Nice score.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice score.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since it's been a while & there are likely people who haven't seen (RPF or Browncoat newbs) or have had/lost (PC crash, etc) these, I'll repost my 'Verse currency.

At the bottom of the post there is a link to a zip-file. Inside the zip-file there are six MSWord documents. Five of the documents are 'Verse currency (two bills per document, to help in making multiples of the same bill), & the other one is money bands for the bills. So you have:

Two of the documents containing the canon Serenity bills in the $100 & $500 denominations.

Three of the documents containing my Serenity bills in $20, $50, & $1,000 denominations.

One document contains canon $10,000, & my $2,000, money bands.

So the zip-file contains everything you will need to recreate all the paper product seen here (EXCEPT the ones with the red X's, those are dr_slurpees. You'll have to get those from him if you want them. ;)):

Print the 'bill' documents in 'portrait' view, front & back. Print the 'bands' document in 'landscape' view. Dong-mah? Shiny.

http://rapidshare.com/files/234168757/nexus6_.zip

P.S. Password for the zip-file is: batty

Hi there,
Any chance you could repost the zip file as the link is dead.
Thanks heaps in advance

Hmm, I think I might have it archived somewhere, but that was 11 years ago, so I can't be sure. I'll see if I can come up with anything.

Hey mate,
No worries if you cant find it, i am very very very late to the party. Didnt even know awesome stuff like this existed till recently!
But anyways keep up the cool work i see here on RPF there is some crazy talent here!!!!!!.

Hey I'm also looking for all and any available firefly/Serenity currency, money etc. Would greatly appreciate any help in this endeavor.
hey. so this is really late, but I dont really get on here anymore. but i do have a lot of files for currency on my computer. so if you are still interested, send me a message

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back