2 questions based around foam building?

ironman wanabee

when i look at the foam unfolds they seem quite a lot like the standard pep in that they can have very thin long pieces between the larger one to create ridges. Am i correct in thinking they need to be done on very thin foam?

If you were creating a suit using foam and fibreglass items which would use use for which i.e cod in foam, chest in fibreglass....

when i look at the foam unfolds they seem quite a lot like the standard pep in that they can have very thin long pieces between the larger one to create ridges. Am i correct in thinking they need to be done on very thin foam?

If you were creating a suit using foam and fibreglass items which would use use for which i.e cod in foam, chest in fibreglass....

I built all mine in 10mm foam, so the 'steps' in the pieces were just made from the edge of the foam. More at: Iron Man MkVI Armour - Foam

IM6_005.jpg

Just like Xrobots I always use the same foam. Your ridges are created by its thikness itself. If your pdo file is not locked, I suggest you could edit it and snap your very thin long foam pieces to the lower large one, so you get an overlapping surface that will help you to glue cleanly.

adding an indentation, or changing layer level :

Realizing a half-step. Useful for thicker foam, or for detailed areas such as helmet or gloves, neck, ARK area...

And here are some close'ups of the way I use the overlaps to build quite cleanly most of a suit's parts. Here, a back part.

No this picture hasn't been photoshopized, and yes I use a common glue gun :

ok. i have my heart set on foam covered in hard plastic as discovered by Xrobots. will a hard coated foam helmet be sturdy enough to add servos for electric opening/closing mechanism

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back