Amazing Spider-Man

Liamazing

Looking for threads on puff painting techniques. Pretty much any detailed threads or websites on creating the Amazing Spider-Man suit from scratch or how they use the prints after they're bought from the junkyard. Where do you begin the process? Help me please..

I've seen quite a few on here, I just need something with good details. Thanks for the time.

-Al

Once you buy the print, you can either puff paint it unsewn or already sewn. I have seen it done both ways, but of course unsewn is easier. For the red part you want tulip brand slick deep red paint for the red areas and slick black for the webs and navy blue for the blue areas. Have the tip slightly above the fabric and just use a steady flow. A metal applicator tip is reccomended. In terms of sewing, there is someone on the forum who you can commision, I can't remember the name. Otherwise, look around for local alteration businesses and see if they will sew it. Be sure to take some templates and reference pictures, as they are sure to be confused. :wacko

Just keep looking, there are many threads that have in-depth instructions on the best tecniques to apply the puff paint, how to sew, etc. Search for threads made by MCL34N, Mercyflush and Taylor McManus. They are some of the best guys around for this kind of thing. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much for that. Just that little bit of information is so much more useful than what I had. I think I'm starting to form the idea of how all this is done correctly, though I haven't done it before. Would you happen to know where the paint is applied? In other words, do you outline every single line on the suit, or do you fill in the areas? I would imagine the spider symbol on the front and back would be mostly area to fill, but the thing that I like so much about this newer suit is the silly honeycomb effect.. the only thing that gets me though, is that the actual movie suit looks like all the lines and everything are sunken inward rather outward.. Why is that? Would you know? How does the 3d effect work? It's okay if you can't answer everything right off hand.. I'm just trying to get a detailed image in my head how this is all going to go down. Thanks again, man.

Hey, no problem.:) I recently joined the forum as well, so I know this whole process is hard to wrap your head around. I've been combing through endless threads to learn and have already made an Amazing Spiderman Costume with Sonjou's pattern off the junkyard(not puff painted, but it's still bada$$):lol

Well, when you do get the print, there will be thousands of tiny hexagons going over the entire pattern. You puff paint the outlines of all of these hexagons to get the 3D effect and to also get the "wet" look of the costume under lights. Then, of course, you would puff paint the webs black. I've heard that it is a very, very time-consuming process, but trust me, the results are well worth it! With the spiders, just make one base layer with puff paint, let it dry, and then go over it, making sure to get it as smooth as possible. In the end, you won't have a "shrunken in" design, but a 3-D, outward design. And if you see some pictures of the puff painted suits, you'll know what I mean. I hope all of this makes sense.

It makes complete sense. That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks. I've been looking through it all since we last spoke. I've realized a lot and know that I'm definitely ready for the challenge. Thanks for all the help, buddy. Keep in touch and send a link to a thread with your updated suit if you have one. I'd like to see it.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back