Doctor Who Stunt Props (Sonic Screwdrivers, TARDIS Keys, etc.)

Doctor Octoroc

Sr Member
I've been sitting on a 3-D model of the 9th Doctor's sonic I made awhile ago, and after many failed attempts to get custom electronics for it, I've decided instead to just use it as a stunt prop to look nice. It may seem pointless that it doesn't light up and/or make sound, but with the way I designed it, it's actually two pieces that fit together at the seam between the neck and head. This allows the prop to be hollow, use less material, and therefore be much less expensive to get 3d printed!

Anyway, enough chit chat. I'm going to order a sample in White Strong & Flexible (polished) and paint it up to the best of my abilities to show the potential of this inexpensive alternative to the metal version, as well as being more screen accurate than the CO toys. I've referenced tons of blueprints, photos, etc to get this as accurate to the original prop as possible, getting it to within .25mm of the actual measurements that I gathered - and I'd love to get some feedback.

One thing I did consider is leaving the emitter lens out of the 3d model and allowing room for a clear blue marble in the top. Before putting the head in place, a slim pen light could be inserted into the body and aligned with the button if I tweak the design to do so. Then the light could shine up through the neck and illuminate the marble. It wouldn't be a flashlight by any means, but it would add a nice effect. I only thought of a marble because in all my searches I've been unable to locate anything else that resembles the emitter lens.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Re: A Very Affordable 9th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Stunt Prop

Here's the newest version of the model. I've been experimenting with removing parts and rearranging sections to cut back on material and managed to knock another few dollars off the price.

Last edited:
Re: A Very Affordable 9th Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Stunt Prop

Just uploaded the Eleventh Doctor's sonic as well, for anyone interested. Comes in three pieces so it can be hollow and use less material. This one interlocks more to make it easier to paint before combining pieces.

I'd love some feedback on either of these, if nothing else so I can improve the accuracy for myself.

Last edited:
Re: A Very Affordable 9th (and 10th) Doctor's Sonic Screwdriver Stunt Prop

This is a really cool project! I've been needing a good, durable "daily driver" sonic ever since I upgraded from the CO. I don't have a lot of input, but the renders of the models look good, and I can't wait to see one painted up! The possibility of adding even simple electronics is very exciting.

I'll be watching this thread!

Thanks, I was wondering if this topic had been beaten to death or some ears would perk up. I just ordered one set of each sonic, I'll be adding a Tennant variation as well if these turn out good. It's unfortunate how large the 11th sonic is, it cost almost twice as much as the tenth to get printed, but $55 for both, shipped, isn't a bad deal. I already have all the paints I'll be using, so all I have to look into is some good topcoat and base coat spray. I'll also know if I need to adjust some contact points for a better fit but some sanding usually does the trick. I also ordered a polished finish so the parts aren't as rough and lose some friction from their surfaces. Stay tuned, I should have something to show by the end of the month!

Looking forward to this build - can't get enough of the 9/10 sonics!

Agreed. It's been a long term project for me with many failures. Hopefully, this one will prove to be useful!

I added River Song's sonic screwdriver to my Shapeways models!

This one is made of four pieces - the main handle portion, the emitter top portion, the tail end, and the cover for the neural relay. This cover fits into two pegs on the cover that plug into the face of the section below, as suggested by this shot of the prop:

2561441336_ce90a90e26_z.jpg

One thing I'd like to note: I never liked how they made River's sonic completely from scratch and didn't use the 10th Doctor's as the actual base - it was supposed to be made from his sonic, so I always wondered why none of the bits lined up properly. With that in mind, I actually used my 9th/10th sonic model as the base for this instead of making it more screen accurate.

Another note is the clear rod connecting the pinky ring and the button underneath the neck ring. This is not included on the current 3d model, so a clear rod needs to be inserted into the body and emitter portions as they are assembled.

1/8" Extruded Acrylic Rods on eStreet Plastics

That website sells exactly the material needed, in 1/8" diameter that should fit nicely into the holes provided in the model.

Last edited:
Re: Very Affordable Sonic Screwdriver Stunt Props

And here's the Fourth Doctor's sonic screwdriver. I got in the groove and modeled this one in about 3 or 4 hours. This one comes in two pieces and, like the others, is hollow inside.

Last edited:

Very cool. Now u need to make them in metal and mass produce them and...sell them dirt cheap!:)

Very cool. Now u need to make them in metal and mass produce them and...sell them dirt cheap!:)
Yeah, the whole "making them in metal" is the tricky part, even without the "for dirt cheap" condition. If I find a good deal on bulk 3d printing I can mass produce/sell the plastic ones for cheaper, but the Shapeways one-shot price is actually the same as the best bulk price I've seen on other sites like iMaterialise and Ponoko.

Heck, even past members on here with direct access to machinery and low-cost materials (I won't mention any names) have only been able to do metal props in the hundreds of dollars. I did actually look into metal reproductions and the prices were only reasonable in the '40-80 parts per run' range - which doesn't include the prototyping process, which costs thousands just for one screwdriver. Trust me, I've done my own research and this is the best one can do without serious connections or direct access to the equipment needed to DIY this kind of stuff.

This is all just for hobbyists who like to personalize props. It's a way to give them a relatively inexpensive and screen-accurate base to work with to paint and/or mod as they please. And in the future, adjustments can easily be made to the parts to accommodate various mods.

Would be a cool pocket sonic for when you don't want to risk hurting your pricy ones. :thumbsup

What's the cost like on the 9/10?

Would be a cool pocket sonic for when you don't want to risk hurting your pricy ones. :thumbsup

What's the cost like on the 9/10?
That's exactly what I was thinking. The material isn't the most ideal for painting, but one advantage to the slightly porous surface is you can do a base layer of metallic silver, clear topcoat, then paint it as you would any other model, prop, etc. Then any natural wear on it would come through silver but wont scratch down to the original white.

Base cost for the 9/10 starts at around $16.

Any time frame as to when these will be available for sale?
I'm waiting until I've had a chance to inspect and test out various paints on the physical models I ordered before making them available. I don't want someone else to buy one and I had an oversight on a measurement so it doesn't fit together, so considering it takes a few weeks from the time I order to the time I get them, I'd say the 9th, 10th and 11th Doctor's sonics should be available sometime around end of November. The rest will be available a week or so after that.

Ill be checking out your 4th dr version. When you get it done. I like the idea of it.

I decided to take a break from modeling sonics for now, and moved on to TARDIS keys! I know, these can be purchased in metal from Mooncrest and other prop builders but again - they're a cheaper alternative to the metal versions and offer the opportunity for hobbyists and fans of the show to paint it the way they want and make it their own.

Here's the Third Doctor's TARDIS key. I'm going to work on the Seventh Doctor's key next.

Front

Back

I think a base coat of hammered black with a silver dry brushing or Rub 'n Buff would look nice on one of these. Maybe one last very light dry brushing with a darker metallic color would age it more appropriately.

Last edited:

Does the 11th sonic feel sturdy? The fact that it is hollow makes me a little nervous.

Does the 11th sonic feel sturdy? The fact that it is hollow makes me a little nervous.
I haven't actually gotten my hands on it yet - I ordered it last week and am still waiting for the prototype. I've had the Eccleston sonic printed up in separate pieces, and they each feel pretty sturdy on their own, so as one whole piece, they should stand up to regular use. I can't say they'd survive being thrown against a wall or dropped off a tall building, but I'm pretty confident that with the White Strong & Flexible material, they'll hold up well.

Being hollow, they cost about half as much to print if they were solid, but if they're planning to see heavy action, there is the option of filling them in with any hardening liquid.

And while I'm here, another TARDIS key! This one was the Seventh Doctor's.

Front

Back

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back