3D Printed Functional Iron Man Mark III

TheRealStark

Well, this thread is long overdue. I have been working on parts of this costume for over 2 years, and I think it's about time it came into reality.

I set out to build this suit after seeing the first Iron Man movie, and used my knowledge of Lego-building to build a Iron Man Mark III Boot with Lever Prototype. It worked really well, but was simply a prototype.

I then built my first Arc Reactor. A friend recommended I check out the Arduino platform, as it was making a huge splash in the programming community. They had also just released the sewable version, the Lilypad. This seemed perfect for my application, and it was round! :D
Arduino Lilypad Arc Reactor
I didn't really like the start-up sequence, but I was happy just to have a compact light unit sewn into my shirt.

However, with having to travel back and forth to school every few months, I put my Mark III suit on hold, and opted instead to build the Transforming Iron Man Mark V Briefcase Armour. Throughout that build I taught myself how to program, wire electronics a lot of mechanical design. The end result was decent. Not comparable to any other suit aesthetically, but it did function almost as I intended, and it scored me a featured spot on the Discovery Channel's Daily Planet, where Jay Ingram actually wore the suit.

Now that I have finished school, and bored you with my life's story, I am now making a lot of headway towards completing one of the most functional Iron Man suits in existence. I am striving to give it as many of the features seen in the movie, and have prototyped a lot of designs to get the desired features.

Below are video links of my progress:

Iron Man Mark III Lego Mechanisms - First Draft
My initial designs, though they achieved the motions I wanted, were far too bulky. Plus, using pneumatics for linear motion was effective, but required even more space for the air tank and trigger mechanism. A good start though!

Iron Man Mark III Lego Mechanisms - Second Draft Now sporting an awesome tan, I had managed to compact most of my earlier designs, as well as demonstrated simple servo usage to control them. Some of these designs (i.e. the shoulder missiles and chest rotation) will be making an appearance in my suit (only now they've been upgraded!)

Armour Mechanics Update The hip pod pieces are now super compact, and you'll see that basic mechanism in the final design later on in this thread.

Being back in school, I began focusing my time on the electronics side of things. I began by developing the electronics for the combined effort with Surreal Studios, Unibeam 1.0. This was my first experience working with SMD LEDs, and damn, I would never go back! The sound effects were a big hit too, and so I began experimenting with ways to add in the other effects I wanted in my Mark III.

Unibeam with Abdomen Lighting Patterns WITH SOUND! I wanted my suit to fade from the abdomen up to the chest when I say, "Divert all power to chest RT." This effect will be made possible using lightpipe lining each section of the abdomen.

Seeing that I wouldn't have a suit ready for FanExpo 2012, I decided to try my hand at building the Iron Man Mech Tech Gauntlet from when Tony is watching TV getting angry and cranking the power up. This design worked supremely well, and I even suffered third-degree burns on my arm as a byproduct. (Note: do not press electrical connections against skin for 8 hours - burns may (WILL) occur.) Regardless, I managed to fit a lot of functions into a very small space, and this is when I knew I'd be able to do the same in a full suit.

Also at this time, I tried my hand at designing my very first custom PCB. They turned out pretty well:
Compact Repulsor Circuit
Iron Man / War Machine Electronics 2.0

Next, I realized I was going to need Jarvis to fabricate it for me. Sadly, I don't have a room full of mechanized arms designed for the sole purpose of assembling a suit, but I could order a brand new Makerbot Replicator 2 3D printer instead! This will allow me to build the custom parts I need for my suit, and so I took two days to teach myself how to design items in a 3D Cad software, and I am now ready to unveil some of my progress.

Sp, everything I am designing from here forwards will have a 3D printed component, and an electronic component. Posts to follow!

Of course, in order to build this, I could no longer use Lego. It was great for prototyping mechanisms, but it was too bulky and flimsy to put in the final suit. Also, I was going to need a Jarvis. First step for that was building a keyboard with meaningless symbols I could use to communicate with him: Jarvis Keyboard - Proof of Concept.

The handles in the images are designed to spec, and the main handle contains the electronics required to make it function as seen in the video.

During the scene when the Mark III is put on Tony for the first time, we that the first thing attached is the Endotech. This is a metallic chassis that the rest of the suit mounts on top of, and I want to include it in my suit. Not just for appearance, but to actually function as it is assembled onto my body.

In these images, you'll see the chassis, as well as the Unibeam chamber that mounts on the chest. In the movie, when this piece is attached, the electromagnet begins to rotate, and the Unibeam glows brighter and brighter.
My suit will do the exact same. These images don't show the mechanism built in, but everything will be activated when the Unibeam chamber magnetizes to the chassis underneath. :)

Taking the mechanism I designed with Lego, I built a shoulder missile pod that opens/closes and raises the missile pod all with one 180 rotation of a servo. There will be six red LEDs contained inside, and the circuit and battery is contained in a chamber in the right side.

I've now created the hip pod with flares. This design I'm particularly proud of, as it contains so many of the features I was hoping to include.
The hip pod is fully functional – you can slide the tab, and the handle opens up (in case of any potential ice build up), and when you rotate it 90 degrees, it will cause the back flaps to open up.

It also contains a small servo to push the hip pod outwards to reveal the flares of which there are 16 superbright red LEDs that fire in sequence with sound effects (which don't happen in this current video): Hip Pod and Flares Prototype

Also contained within are the Walking SFX
AND, it also has a light sensor that detects when you place your arms at your sides, so it can trigger the “blast off” SFX.

And, the slots on the back allow me to slide a strap through to secure it to my leg / leg armour, etc.

Thank you!

But i still dont think i can picture how great this will look when finished. If you can motorize legos and make it look cool, this will just be ridiculous :cool

Thank you!

But i still dont think i can picture how great this will look when finished. If you can motorize legos and make it look cool, this will just be ridiculous :cool

Ha ha, well, as soon as my printer arrives, I will have some videos to help you picture it. ;) Just browsed your entire Autodesk model thread - superb work. The undersuit was a pain to make eh?

My God!

With all the stuff packed into the suit it will take a half-hour to show it all off.

(Now, mind you, I will be standing there drooling and grinning like a village idiot the whole time!)

Bravo sir...you have a quite a project ahead of you.

well ... you just pushed the limit to the max !!!
if you were thinking of selling the endo suit im in !

Thanks! And, depending on how well it turns out, there is a very good possibility I will end up selling the endotech. The only thing I may change about it (for myself too) is removing the abdomen section. It doesn't really have a function, and it's going to restrict my movement as-is. Plus, if I were to offer it to others, that would be the part that may not fit others the way it fits me. ;)

My God!

With all the stuff packed into the suit it will take a half-hour to show it all off.

(Now, mind you, I will be standing there drooling and grinning like a village idiot the whole time!)

Bravo sir...you have a quite a project ahead of you.

LOL, that's the effect I want to ellicit! Here's hoping I can pull it off! :D

Last edited:
Subscribed. Planning to follow this one till the end. Superb work is a term that does not do this justice :) :popcorn

Well...I..WELL, dude that's an unreal project, following this for sure!

Ha ha thanks! I actually just had a major breakthrough in the helmet tech. I've figured out a way to control the eyes, move the face mask, incorporate a quality voice modifier AND I will be able to add sound effects, such as the "clink" when the mask closes, and perhaps I'll even have Jarvis make a cameo. The setup is more compact than I would have thought possible, and I will be able to offer it in parts or as a complete set once it's finished. :D More to come!

Crazy cool!

Ha ha thanks! I actually just had a major breakthrough in the helmet tech. I've figured out a way to control the eyes, move the face mask, incorporate a quality voice modifier AND I will be able to add sound effects, such as the "clink" when the mask closes, and perhaps I'll even have Jarvis make a cameo. The setup is more compact than I would have thought possible, and I will be able to offer it in parts or as a complete set once it's finished. :D More to come!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back