My Mk. 42 build, new STL files for upper arm section

Re: First replica build: Iron Man Helmet (+ finger CAD models))

What kind of hinge are you using for the jaw?
It's two aluminum plates with holes drilled in them epoxied in the helmet and a pair of locking nuts in the jaw piece. Then just two screws to secure it.

I just started working on the glove again, hoping to get it ready for the IM3 premiere.
The fingers have been printed and attached to the glove. Most of the filling and sanding is also done.
I must say I'm quite happy with the articulation of the fingers. Without any inserts you barely notice they're there.
I also just got my own printer up and running and printed the cover plates today.

Now I only need to find the right material for the ribbed inner glove... I'm experimenting with pigmented silicone sheets and I think it might work if I find a suitable rib pattern that's no too thick.

Re: First replica build: Iron Man Helmet (+ mk 42 glove)

Looks fantastic! How did you attach the fingers to the glove?

Looks fantastic! How did you attach the fingers to the glove?

Thanks!
I used elastic bands used in clothing glued to the top of the fingers.
elastic.jpg

Some progress;
The gold and most of the red has been painted. Hopefully I'll finish the rest tomorrow.
IMG_20130420_174440.jpg

I've also found a suitable inner glove material. A thin sheet of Dragon Skin 10 brushed onto a ribbed plate as a mold and then sewn onto a regular glove.
Works a lot better than my previous ones which were way too thick to fit inside the fingers, or even move the fingers freely. And it doesn't look too shabby either...
025b4ef7-6ba1-4862-a06e-46dac6851a1d.jpg IMG_20130414_132612.jpg IMG_20130414_132554.jpg

Re: My go at creating an accurately articulated Iron Man glove (helmet on hold)

great work on both the helmet and gloves

great work on both the helmet and gloves

Thanks! :)

IMG_20130423_135230.jpg
Ok...
So i just have to reach out my hand and let the glove do the rest, right?
Alright then. I guess I'll have to do it the hard way.

IMG_20130424_013558.jpgIMG_20130424_134301.jpg
Fingers assembled using fishing cord and epoxy. And some black wash on the joint panels to give it some contrast.

IMG_20130424_013452.jpgIMG_20130424_013700.jpgIMG_20130424_145303.jpgIMG_20130424_013524.jpg
To mount the cover plates, I glued a couple of magnets on a piece of elastic and wrapped it around the top part of the glove. As it's glued on the inside I can remove it without damaging the paint. The plates are connected to each other using elastics (I have way too much elastics lying around and will be using it a lot, you have been warned) and the top one also have a steel plate glued to it for attaching it to the glove.

IMG_20130424_145243.jpgIMG_20130424_134351.jpgIMG_20130424_134612.jpg
Fingers attached using... Can you guess?? :p

IMG_20130424_200424.jpg
So far so good...
I know the premiere is today, but since I'll watch it on Friday I have a couple of extra days to finish this :)

There we go!

Finished the last details less than an hour before before I had to go, but it's done :D
IMG_20130428_142646.jpgIMG_20130428_142723.jpgIMG_20130428_143156.jpgIMG_20130428_143452.jpgIMG_20130428_145904.jpgIMG_20130428_155801.jpgIMG_20130428_155848.jpgIMG_20130428_143558.jpgIMG_20130428_143531.jpgIMG_20130428_143525.jpgIMG_20130428_143634.jpgIMG_20130428_143700.jpg

As for the movie, I liked it. Some unexpected twists as well :)

I'll add the STL-files for the fingers soon if anyone wants to print their own set

Last edited:
Re: Completed!My go at creating an Iron Man glove (helmet on hold)

That looks so good!
So clean! Definitely one of the best gloves I 've seen. You should consider making the whole arm gauntlet!

Great job on the hands they look spot on, and spray work so shiny :thumbsup

Looks amazing! Love what you've done. I also own a 3d printer, would love if you could upload those STL's. What printer do you use?

That is quite a hand job!

I was looking to see how the front and back hand plates were joined, and didn't see anything. How are they attached to each other?

Spectacular!! So clean and the parts fit so well together. Nice job. Would love those files.

BTW - which printer did you get? Assuming since you didn't spell it out, it was that printer that you used for the finger parts.

You should consider making the whole arm gauntlet!
Heh, I have actually thought of that. It's tempting, but I still have that helmet lying around...

That is quite a hand job!

I was looking to see how the front and back hand plates were joined, and didn't see anything. How are they attached to each other?
Tehe! Hand job :lol

They are joined by a hinge on the pinky side of the hand, much like the prop gloves. The lock on the other side is a strap with a magnet attached to it that just snaps on to a steel plate when you close it up.
IMG_20130428_164403.jpg

What printer do you use?
BTW - which printer did you get? Assuming since you didn't spell it out, it was that printer that you used for the finger parts.
I have a Mendelmax 1.5, but my fingers were sinter-printed. I was running short on time and decided to spend a little extra to save some finishing work.
The cover plates were printed by my machine though.
I haven't been able to test how well my printer can handle these fingers, but I think a well-calibrated filament printer will do the job.

I haven't been able to test how well my printer can handle these fingers, but I think a well-calibrated filament printer will do the job.

-I would love to try printing this hand/fingers on my Replicator 2X. :D Shoot me the .stl's and I'd love to try it out.

Ok, so here are the files: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wec59embjkeqhxb/IMFingersbyAbb_eliten.zip
Edited the fingers to minimize overhang sagging when printing with filament

Keep in mind that these are "as is", ie they wiil need some finishing work to fit properly. You will most likely also need to shorten down the bottom pieces as I made the a bit longer to make it easier to adapt them to different glove types.

I can do nothing but hope that you'll respect that these are intended for personal use and not mass printing/reselling.
I would also love to hear how they work with FFF printers :D

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back