Bradester's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

Bradester

Here is my official entry, my foam Iron Man Mark IV!

My official Build Thread can be found here http://www.therpf.com/f24/foam-iron-man-imperfect-start-con-page-147761/ .

I've always been one to tinker, make my own toys, and was the kid who took his Christmas toys apart. I never really got into costume or prop building until 2001 when I ordered something off Ebay, and the guy threw in a latex 89 Batman cowl for free because he didn't know what to do with it. Once I got that cowl, I was hooked. I've made forms of Batman, Vader, Dr. Doom, Bender, Iron Hide, Bumble Bee, a Batmobile, Ectomobile, Mystery Machine, Optimus Prime; all kinds of things but never a foam costume. So with the help of JFcustom's plans I started the Iron Man build in my kitchen, but quickly realized I did not know how to scale and my software was buggy. So I had to make the Mark IV my own, which I think is good because it gives a different uniqueness and character.

What I thought would take a few weeks, took 3.75 months working in the afternoons and evenings 5-6 days a week. My friends wondered where I was, then started coming over to keep me company because after a while it become a matter of principle to finish the suit, and I wanted to attend my first ever comic-con in Portland on September 8th. Work began on May 11th 2012 and finished September 7th, and the Con was a blast!

My first Helmet attempt was poor and is documented in my Build Thread, and is seen in the first photo below; but it was a learning experience. I'm quite proud of what I finished with. The suit makes the blaster sound when the right wrist is bent backwards, and even makes random walking and Jarvis sounds thanks to my Iphone which senses my movements and a rechargeable USB speaker in the back of the costume. Ta da!

*** Note: If my build thread is having photo issues, you can view the photos on my website http://www.monkey5studios.com

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back