NormanF's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

NormanF

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
For Halloween this year I decided I wanted to be Dr. Adams from Tantalus Penal colony from the Star Trek TOS episode "Dagger of the Mind".

dradams.png

The only problem with this is that I have never sown a garment in my life. Heck, I have not even sat at a sewing machine since I had to take Home Economics back in the 70's. All I remember making back then was a bean bag with real beans. So I went and got my self a sweet little Janome, took two of the classes the dealer had to familiarize buyers with their new machines (which I used as a "relearn how to use a machine") and started prepping. I also bought a late 70's edition of Readers Digest sewing book and a copy of Sew Everything Workshop.

Some of the things I learned are:
1. It takes a lot longer to cut fabric and then sew it together again than you would think.
2. Attaching sleeves is a PITA!
3. I enjoy sewing.

So (a pun!) I would definitely recommend starting earlier than you think you should.

After doing some research I found a post that recommended basing it (and TOS jumpsuits in general) on an old McCall patter M5734. Thank you eBay!

I got 7 1/2 yards of 45" (that's what the pattern package called for!) Legacy Studio River Blue fabric and the same amount of muslin from Joann Fabric while it was 40% off.
fabric.png

The color was pretty close. Of course after I washed and preshrank the fabric I found a better shade of blue at the dealer where I bought my sewing machine. :angry

The first thing I did was make a muslin version so I could see what needed to be adjusted and to practice before using the more expensive cloth.. At this point I found out that putting on a jumpsuit is like being born: the shoulders are the hardest part. Using this I determined how much to shorten the sleeves and the legs and how much to lengthen the torso so I did not hear "pop pop pop" when I sat down and made it easier to put on. Why does everyone wear Capri's in the future?

This is the two front halves (and unfortunately the only picture I have of the construction phase)
fronthalves.png

I was going to create the patch by ordering a custom patch of the "sun" and then make the dove and hand myself, but I realized that was going to take way too long. I found a complete patch on eBay that would get the job done. It's not perfect: the hand should be white and a little larger. But the only people who will notice are the ones who stared at reference pictures for hours. Or people that read this entire thread instead of just look at the pictures.

notions.png

I was going to use velcro to close the bottom front below the belt, but the pattern was originally designed to use a zipper and I did not make any adjustments. I also put a care label in it because I'll forget how to wash it correctly.

The last big issue was the boots. I have come to learn that the Holy Grail of TOS costumes are the boots. I could have taken a try at getting custom made boots that claim to be the same design but:
  1. I have trouble buying shoes in a store, forget ordering them online.
  2. $$$
I read a post where someone suggested buying ankle boots and then making spats or covers to make the shaft longer so they look like full boots. But I was running out of time and saw these: Adult Pirate Boot Covers from the local Party City store. I think they worked very well with my dress shoes. But my dress shoes suck. They hurt my feet after standing for around 40 minutes and I keep forgetting one of the heals is coming off.

The shirt is just a John Ashford turtleneck from Macy's. I had to order it online. Luckily it was on sale because they really ream you on the shipping. John Ashford Interlock Turtleneck

How did it turn out? The sleeves really are the same length, just one is bunched up.
done1b.png

done2u.png

And here is my proof picture (and proof that 100% cotton likes to wrinkle)
proofl.png

I think it was good for a first attempt, but there are problems. The front is not straight, the patch is a bit small, land the legs are too long. But I like it.

Last edited:
Hey, cool! Those patches you found on ebay look near perfect, for something so specific. It even has the same extremely long thumb :D

Are you addicted to this color of blue now? I think I am!?!? Drawn to it like a moth to a flame : )))

I think you did a great job sewing this with only a bean bag and a couple of sewing machine dealer classes under your belt. You must have really poured over the sewing books you bought!

Couldn't resist doing a pic--In your gallery pic you look so ready to turn up the dials on Kirky Dearest! --it's just insane. Pun intended :lol

Dr%20Adams.jpg

Shylaah

Are you addicted to this color of blue now? I think I am!?!? Drawn to it like a moth to a flame : )))

I think you did a great job sewing this with only a bean bag and a couple of sewing machine dealer classes under your belt. You must have really poured over the sewing books you bought!

Couldn't resist doing a pic--In your gallery pic you look so ready to turn up the dials on Kirky Dearest! --it's just insane. Pun intended :lol

Dr%20Adams.jpg

Shylaah
I love it!

Yeah, I have a lot of blue left over. I bought a little more than the pattern called for because I thought I would screw something up and need extra for repairs. Even though I also knew I would need less because I was making the sleeves and legs shorter. In case anyone cares it is Legacy Studio Solids "River Blue" at JoAnn Fabric.

A couple of YouTube videos also helped, especially on attaching the sleeves. If I had not seen how to do that I would have been convinced I screwed something up.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back