Judgement On San Diego - DREDD gathering for SDCC 2013

Max Replica

I figured it's not to early to start drumming up some enthusiasm for this.

I would like to organize all of the people who are considering dressing in judge costumes from the 2012 movie Dredd, so that as many of us as possible can gather together at San Diego Comic-Con in 2013.

Let's use this as the official thread. So if you know someone working on a Dredd movie costume (especially someone who might not be an RPF member) please direct them here.

For now, this will just serve as a roll call for who is interested. Eventually, we will pick a day of the convention when we think the largest number of us can be in costume (most likely Saturday), and then a time and location to meet.

At the minimum, we should plan on taking a big group portrait. But imagine how cool it would be for a whole squad of judges to patrol together inside or outside the convention center.

RULES: We certainly want to allow for some creativity and variation in the costumes, but I think there should be certain guidelines. So here they are:

1. To participate, you must wear a judge helmet. Yes, I know it can be the most difficult and expensive part of the costume, but it's also the most iconic. The only exceptions to this are Judge Anderson and the Chief Judge (in case someone wants to have a go at her costume)
2. Personalized badges are not mandatory, but they are greatly encouraged. It would be good if the judges all had different names so we're not all "Dredd". (Maybe we can fight over who gets to be our official Dredd later)
3. No costume items from the Stallone movie. Sorry, but you guys are welcome to form your own group.
4. No comic-book version judges. Not that I don't have a LOT of love for the comic book version (I'll be dressed as it for at least two days of the con!) but I want to keep the looks separate). Minimal use of comic-version pieces within a movie costume might be okay as long as it blends (some of the items are almost interchangeable).

Speaking of the comic version, if any other comic judges are planning to be there, Anderson and I would be happy to have some company and arrange a separate get together.

So, I'll start the roll call by saying that I plan to be there in a movie version along with a movie version Anderson (best day would be Saturday).
This assumes that I can get the whole outfit together in time (that's why I'm starting now.)

These costumes will start to get easier to put together as more and more people make the items available. (Especially after the bluray comes out in January, offering easier costume research). Check the threads in the Replica Costumes section of the forums for that stuff.

Also, I can say that some VERY good replicas of the costume items should be available in the near future. But I'm afraid I can't say any more on that subject at the moment.

Cool! We're already up to 5 judges. We could easily end up with more judges than they had onscreen in the movie.

I think I'm going to try and make that big widowmaker shotgun for myself (I forgot the judge's name that carries it - he gets his head blown off) just to have some variation (kind of like when the Star Wars fans do all of the stormtrooper variations).

And remember that Anderson can carry either a Lawgiver or an MP5 submachine gun and still be screen accurate.
AEG Electric CYMA MP5 Sub Machine Gun FPS-250, Scope, Collapsible Stock, Silencer Airsoft Gun
(the top rail accessories would just need to be left off of that one)

I was planning on creating a Brit Cit version of the Dredd 3D costume but for the 2015 Con. If anyone wants any advice on the look I can help

I would love to see a Brit Cit version of the Dredd 3D costume. I like the Brit Cit judges, but I've always felt the lion helmet was a bit too unwieldy and over-the-top. Taking into the more "real" realm of the new movie might be just the ticket.

(I wonder what the simplest name for the movie costume is to distinguish it from the Stallone version or the comic version? Dredd 3D? Dredd 2012? Dredd movie?)

Just because they weren't shown in the movie, doesn't mean they couldn't be done in the movie uniform style. Other options include medics, snipers, rookies (with white helmets and possibly half-shield badges), SJS (a personal goal of mine once I finish the regular costume), Sov block/East Meg, etc..
These and more have been shown in the comics. I'd love seeing them either in comic or movie form.

Hoping to make SDCC in 2013.

Depending on the cost of getting them over the pond, but I might be able to bring 2 Judge costumes with me.

Fingers crossed.

Minty,
That would be awesome. Those would be comic-version costumes, so they would be separate from this get-together, but it would mean I'd be able to achieve my goal of also having a separate judge squad (probably on a separate day so I can be in both!) all made up of comic version judges.

Dave,
I'm hoping to make it to Dragon Con as well, but don't know yet. If anyone wants to organize judges for Dragon Con 2013, feel free to start a new thread.
Or all start one if I find out I'm able to attend.

When is it guys ? Would love to make this but I'm in the UK so cant afford it I'm afraid :(

Might be able to help out with the costumes parts though :)

SDCC is July 18-21, 2013.

There is also a gathering of Dredd3D movie-style judges planned for Dragon*Con in Atlanta Aug 30th-Sept. 2nd, 2013. There is a facebook group for that meetup already.
I'll probably be going to Dragon*Con as well - assuming I can sort out a hotel.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back