Drago Lordist's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - SubZero

Drago Lordist

After leaving the choice to a vote of my friends on facebook, I have decided to enter my SubZero costume from MK vs DC.

After seeing some SubZero costumes that were little more than a gi, tabbards, and a mask, compared to all of the amazing Scorpion ones, I felt like SubZero had to be done some measure of justice and accuracy. I also had plans to build this in time to wear it to a convention along side a Kitana, but that fell through.

First I narrowed down which version I wanted to do (it's a peeve of mine when people mix 2 versions of a character) and then I found what little references existed. I started with the blue portions of the tabbards using some leftovers from a costume from last year. I hand drew out my own pattern and split that pattern into the blue portion and the black portions. I also laid out and ironed the blue fabric that would line the leg seam of the pants and the top and bottom of the obi.

I used a pants pattern I've used a lot based on a pair of my jeans and put them together next along with the obi which I eyeballed.

I came back to my tabbards and created the black portions over the shoulders and at each hanging end. I had been experimenting with silk screening earlier this year, so I reused this knowledge to print the pattern onto the blue tabbards. The paint was too thin to give me the effect I wanted, so once the silk screening had laid out the pattern, I went over it with a brush. (for all of this I used silver tulip fabric paint.)

I continued on with the tabbards by doing the quilting over the black shoulders and went in with more silver fabric paint to draw on the 4 dragons by hand.

After taking a break on this to work on one of my commissions, I came back to it and made the hood using a pattern I had made last year and I put together the pauldrons/epaulettes. To paint these, I used the same silver fabric paint by hand, and to achieve the darker cracks I mixed it with a bit of black acrylic paint which worked very well.

Next, I attached the epaulettes to the tabbards and I put together the belt with the diamond pattern.

I put together the bicep straps and modified some cheap shin guards before painting and clear coating them

I started putting together the mask next. It's made of thin craft foam sheets coated in plastidip to give it a nice smooth surface and fill in the porous surface. This is held on by elastic running under the hood.

I painted the blue portions, filled in the air holes with mesh and added a small black strap under my chin to keep it in place and keep the shape.

I experimented with scarring makeup and blue eyeliner pens to get a good scar effect over my eye

Finally I made up the black vest for underneath everything to finish it off.

So, I wore it to con, got a lot of compliments, and I feel like it's the best and most accurate SubZero costume out there. I hope you agree.

With my "proof" photo, I bid you all a good night and a Happy Halloween!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back