lonepuffiness's 2012 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

lonepuffiness

So I have never done anything like this but I have always enjoyed Halloween. I know nothing to very little about cosplaying (as you will be able to tell from my pictures), but I love video games especially Legend of Zelda.

I decided a year ago to be Sheik and made that costume. A year later I got married and made my new husband a Link costume to match. I have also been a big proponent of making costumes that look realistic (as in something that person would wear if they were real).

I also, unfortunately, did not take any 'in progress' pictures :(.

Making the Costumes: I am terrible with sewing machines. I have many times messed up simple projects with sewing machines. So everything is hand sewn. When I made my Sheik costume I was unable to go shopping for supplies (I had no transportation) so everything it's made from was in my room. I used denim for the dark blue parts of my shirt, inside-out sweats for the 'chain mail', black yarn for all the lacings (my chain mail corset actually tightens in the back), three old shirts for the jersey, cowl, and wrappings, and so on. I used felt for the triforce on my hand. The perriwinkle parts are made from old pjs I had that no longer fit. I used acrylic paints for the jersey. I also used extra wrappings to make my braid look longer than it was.

For the Link costume everything was much easier. I used foam for the sword and shield. (The shield took me around 6 hours and a lot of patience to make, oddly enough). His tunic is simply an extra-large polo shirt. The chainmail for him was an old gray knit shirt that I had. He already had tan pants. We bought two belts for him and attached "Navi" with sparkly white wire to his belt. His hat I made from stretchy green fabric. He has a long whitesleeve shirt on underneath his tunic. The runes on his tunic I embroidered. They actually weren't that hard.

Navi was created by getting a styrofoam ball, painting it with acrylic blue paint mixed with glitter paint. I then used glittery wire which I sewed tulle-lace-like fabric to.

Explanations of Details: For Mark's outfit, we tried to nod at as many Zelda games as possible. He has brown hair from the first two Zelda games (Zelda I, Zelda II: Adventure of Link), the runes are in Ancient Hylian (Skyward Sword) talking about the Hero of Time (Ocarina of Time) as told by the people from WindWaker, the idea of the embroidered edges comes from Twilight Princess as do the gauntlets, chainmail, and so on. The painting of the shield is supposed to look like water colors (Skyward Sword style). And Navi is from Ocarina of Time.

Sorry this is written so quickly. I also don't know anything about sewing procedures. I'll expound when I have more time. :)

Proof Pic:
IMG_1880-1.jpg

Our First Cosplay:
byufroshie
IMG_1871-1.jpg

Link:
IMG_1870-1.jpg
IMG_1858-1.jpg
IMG_1868-1.jpg
IMG_1857-1.jpg

Sheik:
IMG_1846-1.jpg
IMG_1861.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back