Riddick (Post-release)

Is there any kind of decent explanation for how we get from the end of chronicles to yet another dangerous alien world? Only knowing what I saw in the trailer it looked a bit too much like pitch black redux to me.

Yeah, as CutThumb said:

It tucks the Necros story away very neatly very early on and then shifts up the gears quickly.

The first part of the film is Riddick fighting for his life with aliens but then it briefly flash backs to how he got there and then it's all the rest back on the planet. It was not great, but it was enough. I would have liked it better if the mercs would have at least MENTIONED Riddick once being leader of the threat that was taking over, destroying and 'borging' the entire galaxy! :p But I guess what it comes down to is the Necros are not as effective as they think they are yet.

I mean, if for much of the galaxy it's just business as usual, and Riddick's last 'job' was just a blip or none existent on his list of offenses, Vaako must have a long ways to lead them before killing everyone so he can get to Underverse.

As much as I do love this franchise, I still am fuzzy on the whole Necromonger religion....

Just got back from seeing this. Very entertaining and a big improvement from the bloated second movie. This one is more of a stripped down no nonsense movie like the first one was. This was Riddick's Rocky III as he tried to find his missing Eye of the Tiger. Good thing he didn't get knocked into tomorrow.

Loved the beginning with Riddick fighting for survival, it kind of had a Robinson Crusoe on Mars vibe only with more violence. Kind of glad they only briefly hit upon the events between the last movie although I would like to see Riddick go after the Necromongers (I find it hard to even type that word without giggling) in the next one.

I wonder how much Karl Urban got paid for his blink or you'll miss him cameo. :lol

I've seen a few people online complaining about the fact Riddick seems to always win through in the end ! Er, isn't that the point of a character like this ? Sure he gets roughed up a bit, has some danger, has to fix himself up but ultimately beats the bad guys. James Bond has been doing that for 23 movies since 1962, Clint Eastwood's 'Man with no name' did it in his 3 Spaghetti Westerns in the 60's. Judge Dredd has done it every week since 1977 in the 2000AD comic. Same thing, people want to see a character like this, you know he's not going to get killed or there wouldn't be another film!!!

Last edited:
Right - very silly complaint. Riddick says himself that he's been left for dead since he was born... and manages somehow to survive every time. It's part of the legend. The one thing I was hoping they might do with the whole religious kid and angels is to give some hint from the kid that the angels weren't looking out for him, but for Riddick. That would have been creepy cool and would have made Riddick all kinds of mad that he didn't get the credit for saving himself all that time. haha!

With the scene at the beginning with his leg, it hit me this time - either Furians must have some killer antibodies or the bacteria on that planet doesn't eat Furian.

And with the monsters at the end - just like in Pitch Black... what do they eat when they can't get 'hobbit'?? With the wolves and the monsters, there were way too many carnivores with no sign of any meat walking around except a few humans. Sure, they ate each other on Pitch Black, but they really should show some herds of something... or indicate they are on the other side of the planet because they know what's coming.

Hmmm.... maybe I should send these guys my number. ;)

Ah Guri , it’s a bit of a relief now you’ve explained that you’re a proper Vin Diesel fan and not an escaped student from Professor X’s School for the Gifted. That doesn’t take anything away from your analysis of Riddick’s character and actually increases the truthfulness of your observations , but they did seem uncannily accurate for someone who had just watched the film once.
I re-watched the directors cut of Chronicles of R last night (having watched Pitchblack the night before) in view of your comments and I have to say they did make me see another level at key points. I particularly liked the references to “trust issues” and “Jack” ( “Keira“). It seemed to make a lot more sense than my rather cooler rationalization on things. Just goes to show how differently people can read character.
Anyway, I’m glad Dahl didn’t have to die in this one, though I was disappointed by how she faded away from the action. Towards the end I envisioned she would be sniping attacking aliens expertly away from Riddick as he made a run back towards the camp at some point , then shooting one as it almost gets him somewhere very painful. Then a pithy one liner from R saying “I didn’t know you cared” and her reply “ Don’t be Riddickuloss”. Not a classic I know, but somehow a bit better than some of the other dialogue that came out between them at times which was a little uncomfortable .
Interestingly I never read Dahl in the film as a man hater at all, simply a woman bright and experienced enough through working within the mercs environment that she preferred to establish her boundaries very quickly ie don’t even THINK about it Guys. Though the “Predator pink” on her toe nails reference with Riddick was kind of lost to me , unless he was indicating he knew she was just hiding her femininity. He did kind of admire her for actually taking him down and eventually saving him as well, rather than just kill him and taking the reward like the other mercs would have. Definitely a code of honor there. I'd have preferred to see him talking to her on the ground rather than that last rather silly comment though, seemed very out of character given the way Pitchblack ended. I think they could have done with a rewrite then.
My cinema was pretty full when I went and most people seemed pretty happy with what they saw, lots of very positive chatter at the end instead of that stoney cold silence of disappointment and a rush to the exits. There’s no doubt the character appeals to a lot of people and across the board but just why that is is an interpretation I leave to you.

I went to an early showing of this today and there were maybe a dozen people there. I was stuck seeing an RPX showing so I'm sure that had something to do with the lack of butts in the seats as well.

I thought overall the movie was worth watching but the last third was like too much of a rehash of Pitch Black. Monsters? Check. Fight scenes in the dark and rain with Riddick killing stuff hand to hand? Check. Trying to get a power source back to the ship to take off? Check.

The Character I really liked was the one played by Dave Bautista, at least up until the end. I thought it was cool that he had that "Hey, maybe we should just give him a ship and leave" mentality for much of the movie because he knew what Riddick was capable of.

Personally I thought Starbuck was a waste in this flick. Even the short bathroom scene didn't make up for it in my eyes. I guess in a way I was hoping to see her go head to head with Riddick at some point.

Overall I give this movie a C+.

I saw it last night.. and must say that i didnt like it. Visually it was pretty cool, but the cast didnt work in my eyes. Some really weird scenes in it that made me laugh for how bad it was..

Sooo so disappointed with the film. I thought it was aweful.

Spoilers ahead....

Bad cast. Didnt work well with each other. Felt most the supporting cast were over acting. How many wise cracks were in the film? Seemed like me and my buddy looked at each other every 5 mins and rolled our eyes at the cheap out of ppace one liners. Iv only ever walked out of one film. If it wasnt for the other 2 I would have left this one. Thats without seing them trying to take a LOT of elements from pitch black.

Riddicks personality also changed. Hed have never joked about balls deep of pink nail varnish looking like nipples etc. I always say dwayne Johnson was a minority. And wrestles shouldnt be put in big movies. Theyve acted ridiculous for a career. And you could see it here. Im guessing he was a wrestler anyway. The whole turning on the characters thing near the end was pointless and didnt make sense. Its as though 5 different writers did different parts and mashed them together. Absolute garbage unfortunatley IMO. Of course its opinion only.

J

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Riddick held the #1 spot this weekend and made just shy of 20 million. Hopefully in the coming weeks it turns a good enough profit to warrant a 4th film.

It wasn't amazing, but it was entertaining. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has the feel of Pitch Black (which is still my favorite) with a lot of tie-ins from it, lots of fighting, and dieing, and cheesy one liners. Isn't that what we want from these movies? I am upset that everything Riddick cares for dies, but I guess these things have to happen :( Hopefully this makes enough money for a number 4, I really want to see Riddick take out all of the Necros as revenge for Furya, but we will see.

Right, it is Riddick 3, but I want 4 to be made, so this one has to do well!! :D

Technically, Riddick is #4 in the series, as there was an animated film Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury that fills in a bit of the gap between Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, but since many probably haven't heard of the film, they would consider Riddick being #3.

Technically, Riddick is #4 in the series, as there was an animated film Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury that fills in a bit of the gap between Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick, but since many probably haven't heard of the film, they would consider Riddick being #3.

Wasnt there another pitch black too? Leading upto the first film? Definitley rings a bell.

J

Edit. And I dont mind the 1 liners. But every 5 mins takes the biscuit. I felt like I knew the actors were acting. And Badly. I know they are. But most films I can get into believing characters. Not this one. As said before the holy boy was so out of place.

Last edited:
Wasnt there another pitch black too? Leading upto the first film? Definitley rings a bell.

There was the Sci-Fi Channel Special called Into Pitch Black, which was a documentary that played out like a story within the film's universe. Basically it followed a character trying to find Riddick six months after the crash, and pulling up info on the characters and such.

But what I was talking about, which filled in some of the gap between Pitch Black and Chronicles of Riddick is an animated movie. Here's the really short trailer for it: The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (2004) - YouTube

OK, here I go. LOVED IT! It is #4 and #5.
It is like two movies for the price of one.
Movie #4 Survival Riddick - Awesome
Movie #5 It's getting dark and they mostly come at night Riddick - predictable but good, mostly;)

Katee Sackoff - more please.
Dude with the chin braid - We have our Gears of War dude. No seriously.

It is a perfect sequel, give them what they want but make it a little different.
Oh, and I am a dog person. Hmmm, mixed feelings, if you know what I mean...

I re-watched the directors cut of Chronicles of R last night (having watched Pitchblack the night before) in view of your comments and I have to say they did make me see another level at key points. I particularly liked the references to “trust issues” and “Jack” ( “Keira“). It seemed to make a lot more sense than my rather cooler rationalization on things. Just goes to show how differently people can read character.

So glad I was able to point out the subtle character connections... imo that's really what makes these movies so special. :) I actually made a couple music videos to bring it out, I think I might still have one somewhere. It's really bad quality because I filmed my computer screen to get the clips to put it together. But when I saw the Linkin Park video I almost felt they MEANT it to be themed off of Riddick - the imagery was so close you can barely tell where I used their video and where it was the movies... and the words, perfect for the Riddick/Kiera-Jack relationship.

Riddick Music Video - YouTube

Having just watched all of them and read my thoughts, I bet you'll get everything I put in there! :D

I have heard of it and own it, :D - but it wasn't released in the movie theaters and it's an animation short, so I don't consider it '2'. It's not bad for an animation, kind of has an Attack of the Clones feel to it.

I went & saw this last week (opening day w00t) & I was pleased & thoroughly entertained. Off-topic, I have to admit I'm more fond of his CoR goggles, than I am of his Necro-style goggles. They look a little too blingy for my tastes, but that's a minor gripe. I'll most likely be going to see it again in the theater. /helping out the franchise any way I can

And for anyone who can definitively answer (Guri?), what does Riddick say to Johns at the very end (over the comm): "Tell Dahl to ________"?

I totally missed it, & am curious.

Bad cast. Didnt work well with each other. Felt most the supporting cast were over acting.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought they all worked well and didn't get the feel anyone was overacting. Its a B grade Riddick movie, you had better go in knowing what to expect.

I was thoroughly entertained and I feel its just as good as the others. Sorry, yes I do like Chronicles and stop and watch whenever I catch it on.

Hope they continue to make more, but the only way that will happen is if people go see it. If you like the others and are on the fence, go, you won't be disappointed.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought they all worked well and didn't get the feel anyone was overacting. Its a B grade Riddick movie, you had better go in knowing what to expect.

I was thoroughly entertained and I feel its just as good as the others. Sorry, yes I do like Chronicles and stop and watch whenever I catch it on.

Hope they continue to make more, but the only way that will happen is if people go see it. If you like the others and are on the fence, go, you won't be disappointed.

I went in expecting it to be as good as the other two. And it wasnt in the same league for me unfortunatley. Im usually easily entertained. Even if not impressed. My buddy agreed who likes almost every movie he sees. Perhaps its a humor thing. I found the wise cracks every single time the female opened her mouth too much to bear. Same with Riddick when he was interacting with her. Sarcasm is ok in small doses for me. But felt it was wayyyy over done. Literaly its at least every 10 mins once the films half way in. Although some jokes expected. Its a serious film as a whole....
I also like chronicles. But still stand by my posts. I know my thoughts are backed to an extent due to the cast. But still. The other actors in the other films were far superior IMO.

I get it. A b grade. But its a cinema release with a top rated actor. Well action actor. I think to say 'its a solid b movie' is just a nice way of saying its not in the league of a movies. I thought the other two were.

J

Just got back. My wife's been wanting to see it since before it opened. She likes Vin, but I couldn't get a straight answer on whether she liked the movie. I found it very silly, myself. (And that's saying something, considering that I just watched the New World masterpiece/Alien rip-off Forbidden World for the first time in 30 years.) The CGI dog (Space Scrappy Doo!), the overdone costumes, the sloppy physics... ugh. Honestly, my favorite shot was the completely unnecessary motocross "Superman" trick off the Space Harley.

I did a lot of eye-rolling, but at least I was entertained.

But that Katee Sackhoff... up until now she had never really impressed me. She turned out to be the best part of the movie.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back