Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

we don't know for certain that Peter was in the suit for this promo... filming ended a while back (for the most part) so it could very well have been his stand in or a stunt double in the mask. also the lighting isn't the best and the mask may have just been "thrown on" for this promo and not fully glued down to the face.

Most likey.

we don't know for certain that Peter was in the suit for this promo... filming ended a while back (for the most part) so it could very well have been his stand in or a stunt double in the mask. also the lighting isn't the best and the mask may have just been "thrown on" for this promo and not fully glued down to the face.

That's always plausible. I wonder if the tall guy that blows a kiss is a Wookiee? I just know Chewie looks a bit odd in the two glimpses we've seen. Maybe he's blind? Lol! It's still far better than the mask we saw in Ep.3!

I am surprised people aren't complaining at the blue screens seen in the new thank you video.

I'm not sure why anyone would? Even the OT used blue screen. I'm a guy that wants to see practical sets and effects employed as much as possible but I don't think I've seen anyone who seriously thinks there would be no green screen at all.

Last edited:
star_wars_the_force_awakens_poster_by_rampantimaginationa-d8aclgr.jpg

^ this is pretty badass too

Think they'd grey up chewie a bit. He looks exactly the same and everyone else will have aged dramatically. I don't know what a Wookie's life span is, but they could have made him a little grey around the eyes and mouth.

Think they'd grey up chewie a bit. He looks exactly the same and everyone else will have aged dramatically. I don't know what a Wookie's life span is, but they could have made him a little grey around the eyes and mouth.

According to Wikia they live several hundred years.

I'm not sure why anyone would? Even the OT used blue screen. I'm a guy that wants to see practical sets and effects employed as much as possible but I don't think I've seen anyone who seriously thinks there would be no green screen at all.

Very true, there was a lot of composite work done in the original trilogy, most of the model work was shot against blue screens and comped in during post, the famous speeder bike sequence in RotJ was all done with Mark & Carrie sitting on 1:1 speeder models against a blue screen. On top of that there were a lot of set extensions that were done using matte paintings to make the sets look larger or add in enviromental elements that weren't physically on set; one of the hangar scenes on the Death Star during ANH or RotJ was done using a matte painting and only a small practical element. An even better example of this was at the end of Raiders where we see the guy wheeling the Ark in that massive warehouse, that warehouse didn't exist, at least it wasn't nearly that large with nearly that many crates, that was all done in post with a matte painting.

I wonder if the tall guy that blows a kiss is a Wookiee?

That's what I was thinking also when I saw him. Peter Mayhew wore blackout makeup around his eyes when in costume too. It could be the perspective but this guy looks to be very tall, so maybe he's the action version of Chewie since P.M. seems to be having a lot of trouble with his legs...

Firstly, that mask in the video has just been thrown on for the clip... it is obvious!

Secondly, the tall guy in the shot is Ian Whyte who played the chief engineer in Prometheus. I'm betting that he plays some Chewbacca scenes in this. Peter Mayhew recently had an operation on his knees and from all accounts is doing well, but I would have thought that Ian would probably do some of the more physical scenes.

422016_10151389674852286_1649062766_n.jpg

I'm 6'1" he is a giant!

That's what I was thinking also when I saw him. Peter Mayhew wore blackout makeup around his eyes when in costume too. It could be the perspective but this guy looks to be very tall, so maybe he's the action version of Chewie since P.M. seems to be having a lot of trouble with his legs...

ya, I don't think it was an accident that they did a mousedroid's eye view of this guy exemplifying his height and the fact that he has blackout makeup on... he's tall. So I think we are indeed looking at the Chewie stand-in or stunt Chewie actor... the freeze frame shows what looks like brown eyes perhaps but too dark and blurry to tell for sure. Peter's eyes are so intensely blue that I think they would have shown up even in this video if he was the one in the mask.

stuntchewie.jpgstuntchewie2.jpg

Ah, there we go! Peter's surgery was over a year ago but I wondered how active he could be in the new movie(s). Ian Whyte being a stunt Chewie makes sense. Hopefully, he can mimic Mayhew's distinctive gait! Haha!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back