Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I'd argue that the fans who know that the helmets were wonky and asymmetrical and like them that way are in the minority and I'd doubt that they'd deliberately make them that way this time simply because that's the way that they were back during the OT because they lacked the tech to make them perfect.

I'd argue the other way around. The symmetrical Trooper and Vader just don't look right.

Riceball, please respond to my last post...

I will also say it like THIS: you are right we are the minority that examines these things... Most don't notice!

But if you took Natalie Portmans face and mirrored one side??? She wouldn't look like herself.

You and everyone else grew up loving the original designs...

If they sterilize the stormtrooper... It WILL NOT LOOK RIGHT TO ANYONE...

You majority folks just won't know WHY!

;)

I'd argue the other way around. The symmetrical Trooper and Vader just don't look right.

That's more than likely because that's what you've grown up and are used to. I've personally never really noticed the difference and don't care about the unevenness and actually prefer them to be perfectly symmetrical because that's how I feel that they should be because if they were real, as opposed to a movie costume, that's the way they would be and any examples produced that were wonky or asymmetrical would have been rejected by their quality control droids, that's unless the Empire had really low quality control standards.

That's more than likely because that's what you've grown up and are used to. I've personally never really noticed the difference and don't care about the unevenness and actually prefer them to be perfectly symmetrical because that's how I feel that they should be because if they were real, as opposed to a movie costume, that's the way they would be and any examples produced that were wonky or asymmetrical would have been rejected by their quality control droids, that's unless the Empire had really low quality control standards.

For the most part, unless you really look or have one in your hands you don't notice the asymmetry for the time it's on screen, the symmetrical helmets just look dopey. Sorry.

Last edited:

Someone PLEASE post a comparison of a movie still, vs RS PROPS, vs FX armor.

If riceball thinks the FX LOOKS BETTER???

I def give up on explaining it.

My point still is: NO ONE SAW THEM AS WONKY. OUR BRAINS INTERPRETED IT AS SYMMETRICAL.

I was BLOWN AWAY the first time I held a real one... Watched the movie again and still didn't buy it!

But a convention pic of an accurate CORRECT suit next to an FX suit?

The accurate suit looks like a living character stepped off the screen..

The FX looks like it stepped out of a toybox. A plastic toy. No more.

I'd argue that if you had both an asymmetrical and wonky helmet and a perfect one on screen and no mention that they were different I bet that the mass majority, including the wonky lovers here, would never notice the difference. It's only in a still image or in person that you can really tell one way or the other and onscreen in motion I'll bet that you'd be hard pressed to tell if one is perfect vs. not.

Anyway, that's it for me on this subject, I think I've dragged this thread off topic long enough to make my point of view known.

I will simply say I 100% in my heart believe you are wrong.

90% of fans (even no knowledge of props ) will instantly feel something looks off with a new symmetrical version.

The same percentage will NEVER notice the originals were wonky.

Last edited:

While it is an X-wing, are they going to refer to it technically as a reboot/reimagined T-65 and pretend that's what X-wings always looked like, or are they going to treat it like a variation on the original T-65 model like a T-65A or T-66 or some other designation? or did that all go out the window with the EU purge and now we just call them X-wings?

Hmm, no one has pointed this out yet. No opening in the side of the fuselage to allow the wings to split and spread apart. Could this also be Blue Leader finally?

Maybe sofaking and JJ should use touch screen monitors in their falcons cause we have the tech now...

No. In this galaxy far far away the looks and tech are established. To really give it the OT feel... You have to stick with what already is...

This seems very plausible! (and quite exciting!) 14728351833_6c5b20b935_o.jpg Courtesy of Original Trilogy.com

Rich

Don't think they ever described it as anything other than x-wing on screen. Just takes a throw away line to explain it...

Han (or someone) walking by one and saying, they've really changed over the years...

I mean, it's not like they're going to have luke show up in it and try and tell everyone that's the same one he always had...

Also, I can't watch the clip here (work), but does he actually call it an X-Wing?

That would mean they would have to explain every other change they made? Most of the time they didn't even call the ships X-wing, Y-wing, A-wing etc. I recall tie fighters and the falcon but aside from that I don't remember. Usually it was literature after the fact.

While it is an X-wing, are they going to refer to it technically as a reboot/reimagined T-65 and pretend that's what X-wings always looked like, or are they going to treat it like a variation on the original T-65 model like a T-65A or T-66 or some other designation? or did that all go out the window with the EU purge and now we just call them X-wings?

My bet is that it will be used by whatever character I whatever scene(s) and no mention of its origin, age, or relation to previous designs will be mentioned by anyone. Any such info will only be implied, as it was with most every design seen in the previous movies.

M

Brian Muhr sculptor of New Hope Vader and Stormtrooper Armor was officially hired to work on Ep 7 so I think we are safe there. He is real close friends with the RSProps guys and he knows all too well the reasons we like and the details we pick out on the original sculpts (warts, bumps, scratches, asymmetric etc). So I doubt Brian will use autocad and 3D printers.

What have you heard that makes you think Brian has anything to do with helmets/costume? :-/ He's come on right at the end.

LucasFilm has confirmed this is an X-Wing as opposed to a single wing Headhunter, so the wings do split, the only question as Karl illustrated is where they split. I am inclined to think it includes the engines as it really does look spot on the Ralph's drawing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back