Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

I'm curious... Have the folks not wanting to see Star Wars in 3D actually seen The Phantom Menace when it came out in 3D? Or is this just knee-jerk reaction?
Yes, and it was a disappointment. The cinematography was not made to suit 3D. No scene was made more thrilling in 3D, but there were several where it was harder to follow the action. Second because the projection tech of circularly polarized glasses was not up to snuff (and it hasn't been changed since then) - lots of cross-talk between left and right eyes, and third because the ticket price is higher.

(I have 20/20 vision and have had work where I regularly used shutter glasses).

and it had a new extended cut of the pod race, as well as a couple other tweaked scenes).
Really? I didn't notice.

I'm for seeing any of the Star Wars movies in a theater again - even if that means it has to be 3D. The pros outweigh the cons for me on that.
Yeah, lots of people are going to think like you. Sadly, theatre owners are going to look at the numbers and think: "Oh, hey, they like 3D. Let's keep it".

My two big questions are who does Max Van Sydow and Andy Serkis play? I've read plenty of theories and some are quite interesting and some are just boring.
Apparently, MvS is playing the cyborg-mentor character to Ridley's character with ties to the prequels.
but, what about Boba Fett?

I find it unlikely.
Max von Sydow is 193 cm tall. That is a head taller than Jeremy Bulloch and Temuera Morrison.

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release) (Use Spoiler Tags)

The problem with 3D is more related to the fact that it's not actually 3D space, and so it's more distracting than impressive. The effect invites you to look at things in front of or behind the subject of the shot, but of course your eyes are unable to bring them into focus if the camera hasn't, and the expected relative angles of your eyes is incorrect (objects close to you require those sightlines to converge, while distant objects create near-parallel lines). This is the source of a lot of people's headaches during/after a 3D movie. You're causing your eyes to strain themselves automatically as you explore each scene, in the same way people who need glasses do.

That's the problem with watching them. There are problems with producing them, as well. Walter Much (the greatest mind in the industry!) lays out a few of those issues:

• It affects the edit itself, because you need to allow the audience extra time to register any given shot. It dictates/necessitates a slower pace to the cut than the story might call for.
  • The resulting image is about a full stop (in camera terms) darker than a proper image.
  • There's a heavy strobing resulting from horizontal movement of the camera.
  • It's very expensive!

Several critics have wisely pointed out that tradition film IS in 3D, as our minds perceive it. We can already tell relative scale and distance from the image, and our brains interpret that as a 3D space just fine. Depth of field (parts of the shot falling out of focus while one plane remains in focus), camera angle (wide/long), and composition of the frame all give us a sense of space. Beyond that, they're also tools which filmmakers use to direct our eye where it belongs in a shot, at a cut point, or to learn some critical bit of information for our story. They're still in place during a 3D showing - again, we can only see in sharp focus where the camera does - but we've got a clutter of unimportant bits inviting us to ignore that compositional information while we watch.

- - - Updated - - -

On the spoiler count:

Hypothesis are not spoilers. We could speculate all day, and that's all those early posts people are referring to were. Rumors, on the other hand, can actually be spoilers and should be marked as such. If it's generated from someone claiming to have an inside source somewhere down the chain, it's potentially true.

Re: Darth Unknown Identity

Yeah, heard it could be the cute girl from Game of thrones:love... It's the Tomboy chick that goes around with the kingsslayer. And when thinking that it could be her, The body language shown in the trailer looks pretty much the same .

On the spoiler count:

Hypothesis are not spoilers. We could speculate all day, and that's all those early posts people are referring to were. Rumors, on the other hand, can actually be spoilers and should be marked as such. If it's generated from someone claiming to have an inside source somewhere down the chain, it's potentially true.
A theory or guess or hypothesis based on a rumored spoiler is still a spoiler.

I just don't get the obsession with the lightsabre and hand? Why is it important to anybody? A lightsabre ,even if it comes from Luke Skywalker has no particularly unique powers I've ever been aware of. And there must be hundreds kicking around and hidden , for example the ones scavenged from the fields of combat by the storm troopers who wiped the Jedi out back in the prequels or some other battles. Vaders helmet I can kind of understand ,but a single lightsaber alone certainly doesn't seem important enough to kick start a huge fight over it, but perhaps there is an obsessive alien type RPFer in the SW universe that simply MUST have all the battle used originals and has seen it up for sale on galactic ebay!

Re: Darth Unknown Identity

Yeah, heard it could be the cute girl from Game of thrones:love... It's the Tomboy chick that goes around with the kingsslayer. And when thinking that it could be her, The body language shown in the trailer looks pretty much the same .
It's funny, me and my girlfriend have a running gag when it comes to watching game of thrones: there are so many characters that we just come up with our own nicknames to make it easier. My name for Brienne of Tarth is 'Handsome Woman' ;)

But I agree it could very well be her in the trailer. That would be pretty cool if we have a female villain!

I just don't get the obsession with the lightsabre and hand? Why is it important to anybody? A lightsabre ,even if it comes from Luke Skywalker has no particularly unique powers I've ever been aware of.

Well, I agree with you 100% - I’m not seeing how any lightsaber, in and of itself, would have any special “power” that would make it the MacGuffin of the movie (i.e., an item for each side to fight over in order to control its “power”).

However, just a clarification on your statement - remember, if we are talking about the Bespin saber, it’s not only a “lightsabre [that] comes from Luke Skywalker” - that same lightsaber was also owned by Anakin Skywalker and was used by him at the time he turned to Darth Vader. So for someone interested in artifacts that directly related to Darth Vader, this item would be somewhat of a holy grail (though, again, I don’t see any need for it from a “gaining a special power” perspective.)

M

I don't know why it hit me just this morning, but anyway.... it hit me that one cool thing happened to the OT in the process of all this Disney acquisition and new episodes. Star Wars survived a reboot! Yes, it's had its huge share of Special Edition revisions, but we do have the comfort of knowing the OT gets to remain part of our future. They withstood the test of time and are now carrying to the next generation and beyond with the same original heroes passing the torch on to the next and they will never be replaced.

It's just nice to know we won't be having any discussion over remakes (though we can still gripe over things like Jedi Rocks and stuff, haha!) and that Disney/Lucasfilm will continue to tell stories into the future, in-between, and beyond.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back