Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Having Vader and Leia in the past doesn't necessarily mean flashbacks - there's a lot of hologram recording in SW...

Star Wars Episode VII

Not sure if it's widely known but Harrison wanted Han to have a duster since Empire. Lucas "obliged" him by putting every one in the cameo long coats for the Endor segment...

BTW, I love the new helmet.. Looks very McQuarie and a logical take on 30+ years later..

Last edited:

As I mentioned a few pages ago. The hand rumor is likely bunk. The presence of an OT light saber as a plot point does make sense.

Having Vader and Leia in the past doesn't necessarily mean flashbacks - there's a lot of hologram recording in SW...

or a dream sequence... or perhaps Leia's jedi training reveals something in her memory: “Through the Force, things you will see. Other places. The future…the past. Old friends long gone.” - Yoda

I'm late to the party, but I quite like the new helmet design too.
It's still instantly recognizable as a trooper, and yet such a different take on it at the same time. It's not mean in the same way as the old Stormtrooper helmets, it's mean as in a fast sports car, sleek and fast yet still intimidating. It's very modern and current, so I can understand why a lot of people aren't thrilled with it at this point.
Do I like it as much as the old trooper helmets? Not for the moment, but I might change my mind once I see more angles, and see it in the context of the whole suit in action. At the very least, I'm glad they deviated and evolved the design rather than trying to stick too closely to the classic design.

A lot of folks are saying the Empire is still around and active in VII and this bugs me. This is all based on speculation and VII rumors.

For 30 years, we've lived with Return of the Jedi being the end of the Star Wars saga... for thirty years we've lived with the idea that death of Palpatine and Vader with the destruction of the Death Star (and parts of the Imperial Fleet) signaled the fall of the Empire and the beginning of a new republic. ...and now, that might be all a lie.

We've lost our "happy ending" and the closing of the Anakin Skywalker saga if this holds true. We've lost the "perfect" circle of the story (even if you didn't like the prequels, there was full cycle of a story there). (I understand that I can ignore this sequel series like many choose to ignore the prequels. We will still have the OT and this doesn't change that.).

I realize that the end of RotJ didn't necessarily mean the end of the rule of the Imperial leaders - but, it symbolized that end. I'm sure there were parts of the Empire that held fast and some needed help to get rid of the remnants of the Empire. But, that's not what Star Wars was about - RotJ showed us what should've been enough of an ending of the Empire.

George Lucas had lots of notes about Star Wars. We've seen plenty - Starkiller, Annikin, Aqualae, etc. Some he revisited, some he reused, some just got lost. I'm not sure if JJ and his band of moviemakers are taking the right parts - maybe, there's just too much retro, too much let's use Lucas and McQuarrie's bits that didn't get used the first time around. ...not taking into account that there was a reason that these bits didn't used the first time around.

The rumored Sith Inquisitor's just make me feel like this - only a hundred times more.

"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice." The addition of these new Sith - complete with lightsabers - just seem like a desperate move. We need a bad guy, we need a bad guy with lightsabers. I can deal with the return of the Sith - I just hope these new bad guys are a whole lot better than these rumored Inquisitors. Maybe, somehow these guys lead to a new master/apprentice Sith - but the idea that they've been around and dealt with Vader just makes me worry.

...and then there's our hero: Luke Skywalker. Who's rumored to have been MIA and held captive for 30ish years. WTF? RotJ really did become a big lie now. (I understand history is filled with happy endings that didn't end up happy. I have no issues with sad endings --- but, dammit... this is Star Wars!!!)

I still am excited about this movie. I love the idea of JJ Abrams directing... all these rumors have me worried (and I didn't even mention the hand/lightsaber).

JD
A lot of folks are saying the Empire is still around and active in VII and this bugs me. This is all based on speculation and VII rumors.​

Very little speculation or rumors, but more fact at this point regarding the existence of the Empire. Kevin Smith watched JJ film a scene with Stormtroopers and we know they do exist with leaked photos. I guess there is a small chance you could have Stormtroopers and no Empire, but that seems so slight.

Saddam dying and people pulling down his statues didn't make Iraq a safe place to live, why would it be the same in star wars?

Or did you really think the empire died with the emperor?

That didn't even happen in the EU.

On the topic of the Empire:

I do know what you mean about Jedi being the right happy ending for the story. It is, and probably will continue to be, my favorite movie ever. However, I enjoy the characters and universe enough that I don't really care about what it means for "balance of the Force" or a prophesy. I just want to see what adventures they go on in the future. It's the reason I got into the EU, and it'll be the reason I watch the sequels; I love Star Wars and I want to see more of it!

Last edited by a moderator:

Very little speculation or rumors, but more fact at this point regarding the existence of the Empire. Kevin Smith watched JJ film a scene with Stormtroopers and we know they do exist with leaked photos. I guess there is a small chance you could have Stormtroopers and no Empire, but that seems so slight.
The rumor of Han being in charge of a Super Star Destroyer makes one think it could go either way... but, the scuttlebutt is that these Troopers are bad guys.

Saddam dying and people pulling down his statues didn't make Iraq a safe place to live, why would it be the same in star wars?

Or did you really think the empire died with the emperor?

That didn't even happen in the EU.
I covered that in my post. ("I realize that the end of RotJ didn't necessarily mean the end of the rule of the Imperial leaders - but, it symbolized that end. I'm sure there were parts of the Empire that held fast and some needed help to get rid of the remnants of the Empire. But, that's not what Star Wars was about - RotJ showed us what should've been enough of an ending of the Empire.") RotJ should've been the symbolic end of the Empire; or, maybe better said: the movie end - just like we didn't see the majority of the Clone Wars on the big screen.

I wouldn't fret over all of this based on rumors. I do know that there is to be a tie in cross over between Rebels and the new movies and maybe the Inquisitors are it... This to me is the first "Disney" meddling I've seen that I too am a little concerned about but having said that this does not make them force using Sith (I stand corrected on not being force sensitive... looks like they are indeed: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Inquisitor ).. just agents working for the Sith... or working for the empire..
Interesting tidbit about The Inquisitor: Though not a Sith himself, The Inquisitor was trained in the use of the dark side of the Force. He has been trained to identify Jedi, as well to analyze their fighting styles, capabilities and the Jedi traditions that they follow and based on these, can even identify the Jedi's mentor.

remember though, General Grievous was not a force using Sith but was trained by Dooku to use lightsabers... as well as stun poles or force pikes (electrostaffs?) were used quite skillfully against lightsabers by Grievous' IG-100 MagnaGuard body guards. Palpatine's Senate Guards and Imperial Royal Guards carried swords as well to defend him from threats but neither were they Sith or force users... so to me the Inquisitor is like the Red Royal Guards in a way. I'm cool with their inclusion... even the biggest baddasses use musclemen to do their dirty work.

250px-RoyalGuardForcePike-BTM.jpg

A lot of folks are saying the Empire is still around and active in VII and this bugs me. This is all based on speculation and VII rumors.

For 30 years, we've lived with Return of the Jedi being the end of the Star Wars saga... for thirty years we've lived with the idea that death of Palpatine and Vader with the destruction of the Death Star (and parts of the Imperial Fleet) signaled the fall of the Empire and the beginning of a new republic. ...and now, that might be all a lie.

We've lost our "happy ending" and the closing of the Anakin Skywalker saga if this holds true. We've lost the "perfect" circle of the story (even if you didn't like the prequels, there was full cycle of a story there). (I understand that I can ignore this sequel series like many choose to ignore the prequels. We will still have the OT and this doesn't change that.).

I realize that the end of RotJ didn't necessarily mean the end of the rule of the Imperial leaders - but, it symbolized that end. I'm sure there were parts of the Empire that held fast and some needed help to get rid of the remnants of the Empire. But, that's not what Star Wars was about - RotJ showed us what should've been enough of an ending of the Empire.

George Lucas had lots of notes about Star Wars. We've seen plenty - Starkiller, Annikin, Aqualae, etc. Some he revisited, some he reused, some just got lost. I'm not sure if JJ and his band of moviemakers are taking the right parts - maybe, there's just too much retro, too much let's use Lucas and McQuarrie's bits that didn't get used the first time around. ...not taking into account that there was a reason that these bits didn't used the first time around.

The rumored Sith Inquisitor's just make me feel like this - only a hundred times more.

"Always two there are, a master and an apprentice." The addition of these new Sith - complete with lightsabers - just seem like a desperate move. We need a bad guy, we need a bad guy with lightsabers. I can deal with the return of the Sith - I just hope these new bad guys are a whole lot better than these rumored Inquisitors. Maybe, somehow these guys lead to a new master/apprentice Sith - but the idea that they've been around and dealt with Vader just makes me worry.

...and then there's our hero: Luke Skywalker. Who's rumored to have been MIA and held captive for 30ish years. WTF? RotJ really did become a big lie now. (I understand history is filled with happy endings that didn't end up happy. I have no issues with sad endings --- but, dammit... this is Star Wars!!!)

I still am excited about this movie. I love the idea of JJ Abrams directing... all these rumors have me worried (and I didn't even mention the hand/lightsaber).

Last edited:

I wouldn't fret over all of this based on rumors. I do know that there is to be a tie in cross over between Rebels and the new movies and maybe the Inquisitors are it... This to me is the first "Disney" meddling I've seen that I too am a little concerned about but having said that this does not make them force using Sith (I stand corrected on not being force sensitive... looks like they are indeed: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_Inquisitor ).. just agents working for the Sith... or working for the empire..
Interesting tidbit about The Inquisitor: Though not a Sith himself, The Inquisitor was trained in the use of the dark side of the Force. He has been trained to identify Jedi, as well to analyze their fighting styles, capabilities and the Jedi traditions that they follow and based on these, can even identify the Jedi's mentor.

remember though, General Grievous was not a force using Sith but was trained by Dooku to use lightsabers... as well as stun poles or force pikes (electrostaffs?) were used quite skillfully against lightsabers by Grievous' IG-100 MagnaGuard body guards. Palpatine's Senate Guards and Imperial Royal Guards carried swords as well to defend him from threats but neither were they Sith or force users... so to me the Inquisitor is like the Red Royal Guards in a way. I'm cool with their inclusion... even the biggest baddasses use musclemen to do their dirty work..

I'm not fretting about this and will let the movie stand on its own.

I did think about Grievous as well... but him being a part droid had me think he's just using the sabers by sure brute strength - and he collected them off dead Jedi.

The Greivous thing never made sense, the first Jedi that thought him should have just lifted him off the ground, then lifted two big rocks either side of him, then slammed them together.

But no, they all have to come at him with light sabres.

I know it's said that the Inquisitor is not a Sith, but if not, then why does he have Sith yellow/red eyes?

I know it's said that the Inquisitor is not a Sith, but if not, then why does he have Sith yellow/red eyes?
agreed. the star wars wiki even states: Though not a Sith himself, The Inquisitor was trained in the use of the dark side of the Force.
that seems kind of an oxymoron to me.. how can one be trained to use the dark side of the force, be a force user and not be a Sith?

agreed. the star wars wiki even states: Though not a Sith himself, The Inquisitor was trained in the use of the dark side of the Force.
that seems kind of an oxymoron to me.. how can one be trained to use the dark side of the force, be a force user and not be a Sith?

That would be my line of thinking as well.

I went back to some photos of the Port Administrator on Utapau to see if he/his race had the Sithly yellow/red eyes, but it doesn't appear they do. Hard to reconcile!

I think it's more a matter of semantic's and intentions. You're a Sith if the reigning Sith lord takes you on as his/her apprentice and says you're one. You have to be brought into the fold and presumably would be taught more and different things than an acolyte or inquisitor would be. Teaching someone to harness their force potential and taking them as an ally is different from taking them fully into your confidence with the idea that they will one day kill you and proceed to carry on the Sith mantle or die trying. In the EU there were all kinds of Force based orders with different philosophies and approaches. Using similar powers from a universal wellspring wouldn't necessarily make them part of the same organization.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back