Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

What is up with the X-Wing pilot's vest? That lettering is all upside down and backward and stuff. The last letter on the top line is a straightforward 'E', but the letter before that is an 'F' rotated 180, and before that is a mirrored 'I'. The lower line has two of those, followed by a 180-rotated 'U'. I didn't want to dig too much further into "reading" his vest until I could figure out what the hell is going on with these...

--Jonah

Maybe JJ should have made the movie with35 year old cameras, bunch of old model kits Crazy Glued together, cheap electronics that didn't work half the time, with no money to pay for it all, and then suffer a few stress breakdowns. Would that make a better movie?

Is that what Star Wars is to you? I know we who study the props and filmmaking know that it often there were tricks and pieces of junk made into sets and models but let me ask you; does it look cheap?

Let's compare the x-wing pilot chest box We know the original ones were made of wood switches glued to plastic boxes. And yet to me they look so much more functional and iconic than the boring Sw7 chestbox. Same with the cockpit.
It's ok to like what you see. But please let people who didn't like it have their say. Don't just write us off as "haters gonna hate"
I've been watching this develop more carefully than many of you I'd wager. All I wanted was to like it and I was excited.
But that trailer didn't even make me excited a little bit.
Even just as a movie trailer it wasn't a good one.

Maybe JJ should have made the movie with35 year old cameras, bunch of old model kits Crazy Glued together, cheap electronics that didn't work half the time, with no money to pay for it all, and then suffer a few stress breakdowns. Would that make a better movie?

yes.....

lol still no decent shot of that left side of the stormtrooper helmet to see if the one mic tip thing is true.

lol I thought the same thing. I kept trying to freeze it on that shot to get a good look at the troopers. LET ME SEE THE TROOPERS!!!

They absolutely do not have them. Also, if they did they'd be visible in the trailer shot.

- D

With the exception of the DP-PD (Disney Product-Placement Droid available stores Xmas 2015 reserve now to avoid disappointment!!!) for a teaser trailer a year out from release I thought it showed us exactly what we hoped it would. That the series is in the hands of people that hugely loved the OT and who also wanted to demonstrate to the rest of us they know pretty much exactly where we all want to be going for the next three.
I hear what some people are saying about the odd thing or two so I ’ll give you my perspective.
The Broadsabre looks like its supposed to,exactly like an older ancient darkside weapon. Interestingly it also appears like Sith “lightning” is bound into the blades so it could give it a more powerful force effects. Using a broadsword is a hugely different style of fighting to that of a katana, so I expect a far more powerful and brutal type of scything stroke as opposed to the light touches of the “traditional” sabre, deep and circular rather than the Iaido like strokes of the Jedi.
The effects are broadly in line with what you would expect these days and pretty far ahead of where I expected them to be. They look very realistic rendered , like Star Trek- Into Darkness or CA- The Winter Soldier, as its easier now to do atmospheric lighting effects as opposed to just the stark simple black and white of outer space. The Falcon, had it been shot against that kind of harsh backlighting as opposed to a coloured desert with a blue lit horizon, would probably have struck a more truer note with the traditionalists. Personally I thought all the effects shots at this stage in production looked beyond what I had hoped for , and I felt a great surge of joy at seeing the Falcon in flight again. Thankfully the overall design was most definitely and immediatley identifiably Star Wars!!!!!
I also note there was not one bit of lense flare, so you see people obviously do listen!!!
We all know the old cast is coming back but I think its fair to say the story now belongs to a new generation of actors with the elder stars supporting their leads, so be prepared for that. They’ll be there ,no doubt about it, but perhaps not to the degree that we old schoolers might expect in a few cases. I was also struck by how much Daisy Ridleys character looked like Natalie Portman, she’s definitely got Skywalker blood in her!!!
Overall, at this stage in the production I think we were bloody lucky to get as much as we thought and I was thoroughly thrilled by it. Not quite a “Ten from Len” but definitely a nine from mine (-1 for the droid!)

spaceballs_awakens1.jpg

The first two clips (helmet less trooper and ball droid) made me think "Fan Trailer". After that, I am liking what I see.

I am not as giddy as the Episode 1 or Special Edition Trailers.

Yeah there was lens flare, CG dirt or water on a CG camera lens, zoom shots, and shaky cam.
Like I said, everything about modern filmmaking and J.J's style I hate

I really liked what I saw overall in the teaser.

I think the hard sell right now is we are seeing all this in the absence of our classic heroes that are supposed to be bridging the OT to the ST (Sequel Trilogy) together. At first I believe that is what left me disappointed. I think when I finally see them on screen it will feel more real to me.

That being said, this is a TEASER and not a trailer. Teasers (good ones) are designed to not completely show you what you want to see and sorta pi** you off, haha! This teaser did a good job at that being I didn't get to see who I was hoping to on camera. It's been 30 years and I'm just so anxious to see them back in action. I think the colors and details were great. I wasn't too nuts about the Falcon/TIE shot with all the movement. I am glad they didn't pull a Zack Snyder fast zoom/rack focus thing (yet that I could see).

I wasn't nuts about the ball droid, but that's new tech and am just not used to it yet.

My only other criticisms right now was the sound of a Smaug/Kahn hybrid Cumberbatch voice in the beginning. And well the dude with the trio lightsaber thing actually looked a bit dressed like Kahn Into Darkness in the civilian gear duster/hood. It wasn't bad, just kinda reminded me of it a bit. I loved the fabric and the way it moved in the cold wind.

The Stormtroopers looked super awesome!

I have to just leave this as a teaser with more to come. I was only REALLY ticked they didn't show any glimpses our old OT heroes to really stamp that Star Wars name on it. When I see them in these new environments I will have more feedback as to whether it feels disjointed or not.

It's hard to complain too much right now over so little that I have seen. It's nice (for once) to not really know the setup or endgame of this storyline and feeling like it's going to be a nice ride.

Lol, it's funny how with every scene break down they write, "Like we told you" or "like we said it would be". They sure want their recognition! :lol

Yeah, that's Jason for you. But to his credit, he did nail
what was going to be in the teaser a week or so ago.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back