Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

7e9e5e28f77c0e78346a9863af4e5247.jpg

I predict that at first everyone will be riding a major high and loving it, then the internet complaining will lead to a backlash, and eventually we will decide it's better than the PT, not as good as the OT.

I predict that at first everyone will be riding a major high and loving it, then the internet complaining will lead to a backlash, and eventually we will decide it's better than the PT, not as good as the OT.

There will have to be those "true Star Wars fans" though who immediately hate it. Because hating Star Wars is the only way to enjoy it for some fans. If you're not picking out every single inadequacy, then you're not a fan.

People just have to accept that this will be nothing like the Star Wars many of us love (in terms of cinematography, visual effects, pacing, etc.). I am almost positive that I will enjoy this movie, especially with Abrams and Kasdan having been involved; but the OT holds a special place in my heart, and the PT a certain hole. For now, the ST will be my new hope and hopefully a damn good movie in December of 2015.

Here's my opinion of Star Wars, and why I find the PT so disappointing.

Star Wars will virtually sell itself. You don't have to load it up with bells and whistles, crazy and elaborate battles, or make any huge changes. That said, the PT and special editions did the opposite of that. They changed fundamental things, things that define Star Wars, and tried to load it up with crap that wasn't needed. I think (or more, hope) that they learned from that, and will be getting back to the basics. If they make a decent Star Wars movie, it will sell itself. The PT sucked, and that even did well in the box office.

These are the reasons I have such high hopes for Ep7.

I agree. For those of us who were at that perfect age, between 10 and 15, when Star Wars came out and just went goo goo gaga over it, that is something that we are never going to get back-- no way. We may get a good movie, hopefully even a great movie-- but if anyone thinks we are going to get back that kind of magic, I'm afraid you will be let down.

While SW will always remain my favorite stuff, I'm just going into this movie as if it was any other movie. I will come out saying it was either good or bad. If it is good, hey that's great. If it's bad, so be it. I lived through the prequels, I can live through this.

Hey, come on! Can't the people who were 2 years old seeing Empire Strikes Back in the theater 1980 all giddy get put into that group? Hehehe....

I agree. For those of us who were at that perfect age, between 10 and 15, when Star Wars came out and just went goo goo gaga over it, that is something that we are never going to get back-- no way. We may get a good movie, hopefully even a great movie-- but if anyone thinks we are going to get back that kind of magic, I'm afraid you will be let down.

While SW will always remain my favorite stuff, I'm just going into this movie as if it was any other movie. I will come out saying it was either good or bad. If it is good, hey that's great. If it's bad, so be it. I lived through the prequels, I can live through this.

I was 10 in 1977 for Star Wars ... 13 for ESB... here's the thing... to be between 7 and 17 in 1977 was the perfect storm... not only were we the perfect age for the films but it came out at exactly the perfect time.... there was nothing else like it, nothing before was even remotely as good. We had TV reruns of Planet of the Apes, Lost in Space, The Day the Earth Stood Still (if you ever could actually catch it) Star Trek reruns and any old black and white movie with a robot was usually some slow cumbersome computer talking stiff that was dull and boring... most of us hadn't even seen any of the earlier buck rogers or Flash Gordon TV serials that George Lucas was inspired by... Back then, old westerns were still popular to watch and if you were lucky you might catch a Ray Harryhausen film like The 7th Voyage of Sinbad or Jason and the Argonauts... maybe a King kong flick or the Godzilla movies... Science Fiction films from the 40's and 50's were so terrible and boring but we still watched them... When Star Wars came out it was the best parts of all of these films put on fast forward and it was truly mind blowing... the pace of the action, the details, intense sounds, the personalities of robots cursing at each other was nothing like we had ever seen before... sure Lost in Space had a robot with a spicy attitude but the bickering between R2 and Threepio was golden!
So ya, 1977 is the summer that changed the way I viewed movies and my love for science fiction and fantasy films was bolstered by SW and ESB pushed that envelope even further! what an amazing time it was.... I do think this new film is going to bring back a lot of that gee wiz factor in a nostalgic way. It will bring out the kid in me for sure but not quite like when I really was a kid back in the 70's and 80's.

Awesome! I noticed this in the "leaked" pic of Chewie and Bob Iger from last spring and I notice it here, but is it me or does Chewie's eyes look oddly dark and sunken? They basically don't seem visible at all, even. The mask itself looks great but I would've expected to see Mayhew's famous baby blues!

I agree with Bryancd for the most part, but I have one concern.

Is anyone worried that all 3 movies will have to be taken as a whole to appreciate them? I think that was a problem with the PT. We kinda knew where they were going, & had an abstract idea of everything that we'd see. Although I'm a fan of the PT, I still have to say that, based on my expectations, I was disappointed.

In the OT, at our ages (I'm 43), I for one had no idea of a sequel & took each movie for what it was.

Now, we have a new trilogy coming, we have hints that the REBELS series & some of the literature will be tying into it at some point. I'm just hoping that there isn't a danger of folks expecting something in one film, not getting it when they wanted it, & end up slamming the movie, based on their expectations.

Just a thought I had because I keep forgetting that this movie is just the beginning.

Awesome! I noticed this in the "leaked" pic of Chewie and Bob Iger from last spring and I notice it here, but is it me or does Chewie's eyes look oddly dark and sunken? They basically don't seem visible at all, even. The mask itself looks great but I would've expected to see Mayhew's famous baby blues!

we don't know for certain that Peter was in the suit for this promo... filming ended a while back (for the most part) so it could very well have been his stand in or a stunt double in the mask. also the lighting isn't the best and the mask may have just been "thrown on" for this promo and not fully glued down to the face.

. I'm just hoping that there isn't a danger of folks expecting something in one film, not getting it when they wanted it, & end up slamming the movie, based on their expectations.

It won't make a hill of beans worth of difference if Ep. VII turns out to be stand-alone a la Star Wars or if it's cliffhangered like ESB; as stated in an earlier post, there will be people who love it and those who'll rip it to shreds. There just won't be pleasing everyone.

I don't follow the kids show...so I won't be tying this into anything besides the OT. And hopefully we can do these new films like the old ones and be able to enjoy each one while also seeing the big picture and appreciating it as a whole.

Few points I want to make about the Chewie clip. You can't see his eyes, but you also can't always see his eyes in all the publicity photos for the OT, there are many times you can't see them, they look like dark spots, you guys are only remembering the ones where you can. Also, his mouth was open in this lil promo, his mouth was closed in that earlier photo. Which I think makes him look more like the usual Chewie. They changed the way his fur was styled between all those 3 movies in the OT. This mask looks more like the OT than the EP3 did, although I think people get too upset over that one. It was about 20 years earlier and Chewie was living in his native environment could easily be the reasoned logic. Of course us nerds get all up in arms over little details 90 some percent of the public doesn't give a damn about, and they probably don't think on it much.

As much as I am sure that there´s no practical, fully working, no postproductio-enhanced BB-8 in the teaser I am pretty sure that Chewies eyes will be seen in the movie and he won´t always be squinting. THE prominent feature of the Chewie mask was the living eyes. It was established in Planet of the Apes IIRC, but we already had that in the Wizard of Oz, already, i.e. heavy creature make up but the actor´s eyes. Wolfmen of all generations, too. Oh, and in that other movie series, what´s it called ... ah, yes, "The PT"!
So I am very confident that we´re going to see a Wookiee with vivid eyes.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back