Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

It would be great if Disney, lucasfilm, actors, everybody, refused to make any official announcements other than the release date. ;) Just leave everybody hanging and wildly speculating for the next 2 years! :lol That really would be my ideal scenario ;D :thumbsup
I just noticed that the date with the highest login rate on the RPF was 5/4/12 :cool

It would be great if Disney, lucasfilm, actors, everybody, refused to make any official announcements other than the release date. ;) Just leave everybody hanging and wildly speculating for the next 2 years! :lol That really would be my ideal scenario ;D :thumbsup

Amen to that. I'd LOVE if that happened. Not even any trailers. But it won't. :lol

Amen to that. I'd LOVE if that happened. Not even any trailers. But it won't. :lol

Nah, you still gotta have the trailer! Everyone simultaneously watching that first trailer and the internet exploding with the break downs of every single shot. It would be grand!

Of course, none of this is probably likely in 2013 onwards, but it would be great if they tried to keep it as much under wraps as they could until the trailer.

Seems like Lucasfilm did a pretty good job with keeping "I am your Father" under wraps for ESB, but of course, no web back in the day :lol

Nah, you still gotta have the trailer! Everyone simultaneously watching that first trailer and the internet exploding with the break downs of every single shot. It would be grand!

Of course, none of this is probably likely in 2013 onwards, but it would be great if they tried to keep it as much under wraps as they could until the trailer.

Actually, I won't watch any trailers. Problem with a trailer (especially nowadays) is that it spoils details of the film. Those breakdowns are only possible because trailers reveal so much, I'd rather go into the theatre and be completely surprised. :)

Actually, I won't watch any trailers. Problem with a trailer (especially nowadays) is that it spoils details of the film. Those breakdowns are only possible because trailers reveal so much, I'd rather go into the theatre and be completely surprised. :)

I watched all the trailers and previews before Phantom Menace but avoided spoilers and I was still VERY surprised when Jar Jar started talking.

I still remember being in my dorm room huddled around an old CRT monitor watching TPM trailer premiere on Starwars.com. I remember the gungans walking out of the fog. We must have watched it a dozen times. We were so excited.

Actually, TPM taught me not to watch movie trailers. Cool moments are often revealed in them (EG. "ZOMGDOUBLESABRE!!!!"), and they can often set up wrong expectations (EG "ZOMGTHISMOVIEWILLROCK!!!").

I skipped them for the next two films and didn't feel I'd missed anything. Sadly, I didn't end up enjoying the films more, but I suppose maybe I didn't get my hopes up again either.

Actually, TPM taught me not to watch movie trailers. Cool moments are often revealed in them (EG. "ZOMGDOUBLESABRE!!!!"), and they can often set up wrong expectations (EG "ZOMGTHISMOVIEWILLROCK!!!").

I skipped them for the next two films and didn't feel I'd missed anything. Sadly, I didn't end up enjoying the films more, but I suppose maybe I didn't get my hopes up again either.

The enjoyment of getting my hopes up is the only thing that made up for the letdown. At least I can look back fondly on that time period between the trailer and the premier.

Not me. It made the letdown worse for me. By the time I got to episode 3, I was neither disappointed, nor enthused. It was just a movie I went to see. I felt a little sad that Star Wars had (at that point) ended with a lame whimper.

The Prometheus trailer is a great example of why I don't think I necessarily want to see trailer. It set up so many expectations for that film, that when I finally saw it, it was a pretty big let down compared to what the trailers "promised". I think I would have enjoyed it more had I never seen the trailer or followed all the hype and analyzation of every frame of the trailers up to its release

The Prometheus trailer is a great example of why I don't think I necessarily want to see trailer. It set up so many expectations for that film, that when I finally saw it, it was a pretty big let down compared to what the trailers "promised". I think I would have enjoyed it more had I never seen the trailer or followed all the hype and analyzation of every frame of the trailers up to its release

This. Or at least found it less disappointing because you went in with no reinforced preconceived notions beyond what your imagination could concoct. It's not like "But they TOLD me it'd be cool, dammit!!"

I have never been spoiled for a movie by watching it's trailer, except to say "that trailer sucked, I'm not seeing that movie." And you're more likely to be disappointed if you go in to a movie with only your own imaginings and expectations of what should happen. That's exactly what happened with the prequels and people hated them because of it.

Last edited:

Well if we've learned anything from Star Trek, it's that anything JJ Abrams does will have nothing ruined by the trailer. I mean, Star Wars Episode VII is shaping up to be the most secretive movie in film history.

Well if we've learned anything from Star Trek, it's that anything JJ Abrams does will have nothing ruined by the trailer. I mean, Star Wars Episode VII is shaping up to be the most secretive movie in film history.

And that's not a bad thing...

I don't think JJ would spoil his movie with a trailer, but don't underestimate Star Wars fans. I think there will much more of a craze surrounding Episode VII than this Star Trek movie. I am sure spoilers will be available, so I will be clicking on less links the closer we get. Its two years away so we have some time, lol.

Still getting myself psyched up for it. I wish they brought our Vader in sooner during episode 3 showing him taking out jedi's and being the bad boy he was supposed to be lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back