Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Yup, definitely a seam but oddly enough, there's no indication of a cavity for the wings to extend into on the body unless the original X-Wings were like that too. Regardless, that thing must have been designed as a pure interceptor because it looks like this new X-Wing has even less all around visibility than the original did.

I think the lack of a seam in the wings themselves is likely it was just easier to build as one piece and they never thought anyone would even notice. :)

I think this shot lends credence to the idea that the wings split the entire length, including the engines, but do so in a front/back stagger. Look at how the laser cannot are mounted. And that is apparent at the end here.

Front/back stagger ala the dropship in Aliens, correct?

That is odd that there is no cavity in the fuselage for the wings to open into. I sure hope the actual x-split does not start there at the edge of the ship. The actual axis of the "X" is in the center of the ship.

I agree about the wing splitting in a front/back staggered fashion, but it looks as if the engine is where the pivot happens rather than the fuselage (to me).

I think the lack of a seam in the wings themselves is likely it was just easier to build as one piece and they never thought anyone would even notice. :)

being that Vos (whom I've managed to irk for no apparent reason) is a concept model maker for episode 7 I'm sure he could verify how the detail of the x-wing foils work if he is allowed to...

That is odd that there is no cavity in the fuselage for the wings to open into. I sure hope the actual x-split does not start there at the edge of the ship. The actual axis of the "X" is in the center of the ship.

Thats a good point, but I "think" again it was simply easier to build the full size prop this way.

I agree about the wing splitting in a front/back staggered fashion, but it looks as if the engine is where the pivot happens rather than the fuselage (to me).
Perhaps to the eye it looks like that, but as I said earlier, theyve followed RMcQ's design pretty close, so I'd say the engine will split......+ you've got to admit, it would look pretty stupid if they didn't.......+ it wouldn't really deserve to be described as an X-Wing

J

Actually I went back and looked at the full size X-Wings from the OT, they didn't have that feature either, so I would assume it's just a detail they didn't bother with on the full cale props.

Just havin' a bit of fun with it:

newxwing2.jpg

Just a few drawings by the original JJ.....(Joe Johnston)

JoeJohnstontext_zps5d6390ac.png

JoeJohnstonxwing4_zps19515e77.png

JoeJohnstonxwing_zps5303ea53.png

JoeJohnstonxwing3_zps45e9c3b7.png

JoeJohnstonxwing2_zpsfb227cd2.png

JoeJohnstonxwing5_zps7db007ea.png

I wonder how close they'll keep to the design of the rear of the ship?.....back to Ralph

xwing_ralph-mcquarrie.jpg

You really can't keep a great design down

J

I still think the staggered front/rear wing element is apparent in the pics. I would have preferred a straight JJ and RM version as pictured, but I think they jazzed it up a little with that feature.

I alway liked that Vader's Tie Fighter was different from the rest. Maybe Luke will carry that on and have a unique X-Wing.

I alway liked that Vader's Tie Fighter was different from the rest. Maybe Luke will carry that on and have a unique X-Wing.

That was a design decision made to differentiate him from his wing men in the film. Once that call was made, the designers went with what they called the TIE Advanced or X1. I agree it was a film creative decision that worked great in universe.

I want to see a side on view of it because I think the fuselage still looks a little too short. Also I really hope the wing doesn't split down the middle like that because it makes the design useless. If the wing is split there's not enough wing to be of any use in atmosphere. It doesn't make any sense other than to make people think "Oh wow looks how the wing opens NOW!"

That was a design decision made to differentiate him from his wing men in the film. Once that call was made, the designers went with what they called the TIE Advanced or X1. I agree it was a film creative decision that worked great in universe.

The names TIE Advanced and X1 we're not names given by the designers, they are names given after the OT, (after ROTJ Vader's TIE was also known as Interceptor Prototype)
the Designers...(Joe Johnston) called the ship Vader's Ship or Darth Vader's TIE fighter

J

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back