Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

I might also have to do with how powerful the "force ghost" is... Yoda may be able to project to anyone (with it being easier for him to appear to another force user). Obi Wan was able to project his voice to Luke (when Luke wasn't that trained with the force), but was able to appear as a "force ghost" in ESB when Luke was a little stronger (and perhaps Obi Wan was more in tune being "one with the force" a bit longer).

Well they're part of the Force so I always thought that only a Force user could see them.

I assumed that Obi Wan didn't appear to Luke in ANH because he'd crash his freaking X-Wing! :lol ;) It could be he didn't want to surprise Luke and/or maybe there's a learning curve once you do that to appearing to someone?

Well they're part of the Force so I always thought that only a Force user could see them.

I assumed that Obi Wan didn't appear to Luke in ANH because he'd crash his freaking X-Wing! :lol ;) It could be he didn't want to surprise Luke and/or maybe there's a learning curve once you do that to appearing to someone?

Yeah, this is my take as well!

He didn't visually appear to Luke in ANH because he didn't need to; all he needed to do was remind Luke to use the Force. To be honest, neither he nor Yoda needed to visually appear to Luke at all, but I'd bet money that Lucas wanted audiences to see them because he wanted to make sure we understood Luke was experiencing visitations from Kenobi and Yoda.

I tend to go by film-maker's intentions unless something specifically contradicts. They'd established, seen in transcripts of the story sessions, that Ben started out as a disembodied voice, but was regaining his sense of self with time and effort -- that he was more and more able to manifest. First as a distant hazy figure, later as a clearly distinct figure, later still as a walking, talking, log-sitting near-person. The original idea, abandoned during the various drafts of ROTJ's script, was that that was all a precursor to him being able to cross back over to corporeal form to help Luke in the final battle. While I'm glad they didn't for that story, I do like the idea of him being able to draw on the Force to essentially make a "body" for himself that can interact with the mortal world. Maybe even be seen by others.

The 2004 Special Edition DVD and the deaths of Alec Guinness and Sebastian Shaw have given me an idea I giggle over to myself. Retain Shaw as old Anakin's Force ghost. But at some later point -- maybe in these new films? -- have Obi-Wan and Yoda bring him to the same point of near-corporeality, and then when they cross over, they're Hayden and Ewan, and Obi-Wan looks down at himself and says something to the effect of "Well...! I wasn't expecting this!"

Just a thought. ;)

--Jonah

That would make a good Robot Chicken thing though. Have Obi Wan pop out in space in front of Luke while he's in the trench. It scares the crap out of Luke, forcing him to dive into the wall and dooming the Rebellion. :lol

I always thought this was cool, I think it's from Heir to the Empire:

"Luke?"
The voice came softly but insistently. Pausing amid the familiar landscape of Tatooine—familiar, yet oddly distorted—Luke Skywalker turned to look.
An equally familiar figure stood there watching him. "Hello, Ben," Luke said, his voice sounding sluggish in his ears. "Been a long time."
"It has indeed," Obi-Wan Kenobi said gravely. "And I'm afraid that it will be longer still until the next time. I've come to say good-bye, Luke."
The landscape seemed to tremble; and abruptly, a small part of Luke's mind remembered that he was asleep. Asleep in his suite in the Imperial Palace, and dreaming of Ben Kenobi.
"No, I'm not a dream," Ben assured him, answering Luke's unspoken thought. "But the distances separating us have become too great for me to appear to you in any other way. Now, even this last path is being closed to me."
"No," Luke heard himself say. "You can't leave us, Ben. We need you."
Ben's eyebrows lifted slightly, and a hint of his old smile touched his lips. "You don't need me, Luke. You are a Jedi, strong in the Force." The smile faded, and for a moment his eyes seemed to focus on something Luke couldn't see. "At any rate," he added quietly, "the decision is not mine to make. I have lingered too long already, and can no longer postpone my journey from this life to what lies beyond."
A memory stirred: Yoda on his deathbed, and Luke pleading with him not to die. Strong am I in the Force, the Jedi Master had told him softly. But not that strong.
"It is the pattern of all life to move on," Ben reminded him. "You, too, will face this same journey one day." Again, his attention drifted away, then returned. "You are strong in the Force, Luke, and with perseverance and discipline you will grow stronger still." His gaze hardened. "But you must never relax your guard. The Emperor is gone, but the dark side is still powerful. Never forget that."
"I won't," Luke promised.
Ben's face softened, and again he smiled. "You will yet face great dangers, Luke," he said. "But you will also find new allies, at times and places where you expect them least."
"New allies?" Luke echoed. "Who are they?"
The vision seemed to waver and become fainter. "And now, farewell," Ben said, as if he hadn't heard the question. "I loved you as a son, and as a student, and as a friend. Until we meet again, may the Force be with you."
"Ben—!"
But Ben turned, and the image faded... and in the dream, Luke knew he was gone. Then I am alone, he told himself. I am the last of the Jedi.
He seemed to hear Ben's voice, faint and indistinct, as if from a great distance. "Not the last of the old Jedi, Luke. The first of the new."

Last edited by a moderator:
Star Wars First Millennium Falcon Close-Up Graces 'Fortune' Cover - The Hollywood Reporter

Fortune%20Empire%20of%20Tech%20Cover.jpeg

Even if not, it's been 30 years and we should be so lucky that Han decided to maintain as much of his original ship the way it looks now. I would have gone through 6 cars in that amount of time I'm sure, haha!

I'm certainly not complaining at all. Looks amazing.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back