Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I would expect after the death of the Emperor and Vader, many of the Moff's jumped at the chance to power and have used their portion of the fleet/army for their own agendas
Yes, but none are Palpatine nor have Vader as their right hand man. None are Sith. None wield and control power quite like them. Sure, some may come close (Tarkin)... but, let's not forget the reign of terror Vader had to control the Imperials with his force choking and battleground promotions.

Sure, it's possible that someone took control of the Empire... someone had to. But, with the Rebel presence growing as it was (the more you tighten your grip... the more star systems slip through your fingers; Luke looking to join the Rebellion as far back as his farm days on Tatooine, etc)... the celebrations on Coruscant, Tatooine, Bespin at the end of Return of the Jedi also lead us to the logical conclusion that the end of the Empire was at hand. Not saying that there wasn't a fight in store for the new Republic, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, what happened during those 30 years since Endor is a mystery. Did the new Republic falter? Did an Imperial take control of the faltering Empire? Is the Empire now the minority as the Rebel Alliance once seemed to be - with a new guy read to take that power? Or did the whole galaxy just fall into anarchy with different factions all grasping to take control?

So many options...

Yes, but none are Palpatine nor have Vader as their right hand man. None are Sith. None wield and control power quite like them. Sure, some may come close (Tarkin)... but, let's not forget the reign of terror Vader had to control the Imperials with his force choking and battleground promotions.

Sure, it's possible that someone took control of the Empire... someone had to. But, with the Rebel presence growing as it was (the more you tighten your grip... the more star systems slip through your fingers; Luke looking to join the Rebellion as far back as his farm days on Tatooine, etc)... the celebrations on Coruscant, Tatooine, Bespin at the end of Return of the Jedi also lead us to the logical conclusion that the end of the Empire was at hand. Not saying that there wasn't a fight in store for the new Republic, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel.

Now, what happened during those 30 years since Endor is a mystery. Did the new Republic falter? Did an Imperial take control of the faltering Empire? Is the Empire now the minority as the Rebel Alliance once seemed to be - with a new guy read to take that power? Or did the whole galaxy just fall into anarchy with different factions all grasping to take control?

So many options...

But, we do have Stormtroopers... So, there's that. :)

I want to see some ships flying in formation again, doing those cool peel offs and barrel rolls that we saw in ANH. What we really need is another bomb run scenario of some sort. Something that can lay in some suspense as in the trench run or the intensity of the Death Star escape. Bring back targeting computers and having to wait for the shot. The suspense of the trench run was the greatest thing in any SW movie ever and it has just been abandoned. Lets see some more of that. Not just a bunch of ships flying willy nilly around with everybody just shooting at everything.

Also bring back actual exploding models (or at least cg versions of that). I liked seeing ships actually coming apart as they went down, not just "here's the ship, next frame giant fireball"..

I agree. I would also finally like to see some B-Wings (or whatever new bomber they have) doing torpedo runs on Star Destroyers. They couldn't do it in ROTJ (even though there was a pic done of it) because the B-Wings didn't show up or something.

I would expect after the death of the Emperor and Vader, many of the Moff's jumped at the chance to power and have used their portion of the fleet/army for their own agendas

That would be my guess. I think that's one area where the EU got things right. There are Moffs pulling in whatever ships they have and carving out little Empires in the sectors they control. It would take a new strong leader to get them to band together as the Empire again.

Oh and more Twilek dancers. :)

I'm still reading 'A NEW DAWN", & one thing I've noticed, that this discussion has got me to thinking about, is that they're REALLY emphasizing the amount of surveillance the Empire has begun to set up. It's also giving a little BTS of how the promotions of the military officers work.

Since this is set 7 years after Order 66, we're seeing the Empire setting up their power base of fear, & since all the media is connected now, it would be a perfect way to help us understand how the Imperial forces could hold on to power so many years after the loss of their Emperor.

If you were going to open up the SW universe like Marvel has done, perhaps one of the best ways is to go with the "Game of Thrones" option, where there are many different power struggles going on for many different reasons , but all linked by one major theme. Remember that the regional governers first mentioned in the New Hope were put in power to replace the old Senate, and the Death Star was supposed to back that up, though quite how destroying an entire planet with all its wealth and resources seems a little like over kill to me. I imagine after the fall of central government many governers , powerful syndicates and even criminals anexed their own systems and built up their own power bases, using whatever they had at hand. Old Imperial forces could easily form the foundations for whatever armed forces they built. Which is why I like the artristos idea amoungst many others.

We know there are at least one planet for every pod we saw in the senate building, and there looked to be a hell of a lot of those.

Now we know in real life, when Hitler died the war was over for germany, but lets face it, even if he had lived the war was over, the allies were in Berlin, and had taken every piece of land the germans had taken back, his death was irrelevant, now imagine if he had been killed near the beginning of the war, when the germans had swept into most of europe with relative ease, with all that territory under their control, america not even in the war, and all the generals feeling pretty confident, do you really think the war would have ended? Or would they just pick a new fuhrer and carry on?

We know there are at least one planet for every pod we saw in the senate building, and there looked to be a hell of a lot of those.
Nope - we don't know that. There could be multiple types of government from each planet - I didn't see anything that stated that every planet was represented by a specific pod. I'll even give you that the humanoids and Gungans from Naboo appeared to be united in the Senate, but that doesn't guarantee that each species/race/region may have had their own representative in the Galactic Senate.

Now we know in real life, when Hitler died the war was over for germany, but lets face it, even if he had lived the war was over, the allies were in Berlin, and had taken every piece of land the germans had taken back, his death was irrelevant, now imagine if he had been killed near the beginning of the war, when the germans had swept into most of europe with relative ease, with all that territory under their control, america not even in the war, and all the generals feeling pretty confident, do you really think the war would have ended? Or would they just pick a new fuhrer and carry on?
Hitler committed suicide because of Germany's imminent defeat, so this point is pretty much moot.

Hitler committed suicide because of Germany's imminent defeat, so this point is pretty much moot.

I would much rather compare it to the fictional event of Stalin being assassinated in 1948 or so. What would have happened?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

The destruction of two death stars would more than likely send the financial situation of the empire into disarray. Which would trickle down to the rest of the galaxy.

Which means that the military production would have slowed to a halt.

Imho

Just my .02....

I think post ROTJ that the various planets were reluctant to form a large over-arching government out of fear that a new empire could emerge. I think 7 could very well open with a crawl stating that due to the events of the E's 1-6, after the defeat of the empire most planets decided to go it alone and now a force has emerged that has begun gobbling them up one by one....

Doesn't preclude that force being a new empire or the remains of the old one, or a completely new force. I more like the idea of a new force and the old empire still exists and the new government will have to strike a deal for their help to defeat the new enemy.

I would much rather compare it to the fictional event of Stalin being assassinated in 1948 or so. What would have happened?
Now, that's an interesting idea... but, it's also debatable if Stalin was actually assassinated. He was also already pretty ill - and it was 10 years after the WWII (Stalin died in 1953)... there was a power struggle that ultimately left Kruschev with control of the Soviet Union. So, it's not really a great comparison... but, neither is Hitler.

While it might be a fascinating take on Star Wars politics - it would probably end up being pretty boring to most. I liked the political dealing of the prequel trilogy quite a bit, but it never went far enough for me (when you boil it down to the essentials, these are still kids movies).... I would've loved a more Winter Soldier-esque Star Wars flick.

I do wonder what JJ and crew have in store for us. Obviously, Stormtroopers seem to indicate that the Empire is around in some form or another... personally, I would've liked to move on from that with the idea that the Rebellion succeeded. There's a lot from our history to draw on (we've barely scraped the surface mentioning Hitler and Stalin) and I do wonder if the new folks in charge of Star Wars will take from that when dealing with it all.... Only time will tell.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back