Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I'd guess confused - in theory the Rebels became some sort of new government and it will be that new governing body versus the Imperials.

But perhaps not. Even 30 years after Endor the Empire could still maintain control over a large part of the galaxy, and if that included Coruscant, the recognized tactic capital, then maybe they still are the "rebels".

But perhaps not. Even 30 years after Endor the Empire could still maintain control over a large part of the galaxy, and if that included Coruscant, the recognized tactic capital, then maybe they still are the "rebels".
"In theory..."

We probably won't know one way or another until December of next year. I can't wait either way.

My senses say that the Empire is still very much, if not in control, a powerful presence to be reckoned with. I just don't see that massive a bureaucracy in government and military force vanquished with the Battle of Endor.

...could be the Empire are now the "Rebels" trying usurp the new governing body and the usual gang and new friends need to rise up to battle this threat. (Of course they couldn't refer to them as Rebels).

...could be the Empire are now the "Rebels" trying usurp the new governing body and the usual gang and new friends need to rise up to battle this threat. (Of course they couldn't refer to them as Rebels).

That's an interesting twist, and anything's possible I guess. Something as huge as the Empire was, both politically and militarily, would have had to undergo a massive implosion to be relegated to the underdog I think.

That's an interesting twist, and anything's possible I guess. Something as huge as the Empire was, both politically and militarily, would have had to undergo a massive implosion to be relegated to the underdog I think.
The death of Palpatine and Vader (both Sith Lords), the destruction of Death Star 2 and a portion of their fleet - that's pretty massive (both politically and militarily). It's not hard to reason that the battle of Endor could (should?) have been the defining moment in the fall of the Empire.

I don't want to hear this... I'm not listening... (But, I kind of am,in a way...) :D :D

while a lot of people are a bit burned out on Jedi after the prequels I for one am good with at least one... Obi Wan! Especially if Ewan McGregor plays him again and he has so much as said he would reprise the role if needed in a few interviews in the past! I know they could get him... Imagine, while on Tatooine while hoping to keep tabs on young Luke, Obi Wan is visited by wayward and confused Jedi or needs to go help release captured Jedi at an imperial stronghold... And Vader enters the scene just as Obi Wan escapes... not quite knowing who it was that was trying to help the captured Jedi... oooh!!!
I just can't imagine he actually just meditated and drank at the local cantina for 20 Tatooine years waiting for the right time to tell Luke the truth about everything.. he had to have some other assignments perhaps even reluctantly assigned by Yoda himself.. I would so be there!

The death of Palpatine and Vader (both Sith Lords), the destruction of Death Star 2 and a portion of their fleet - that's pretty massive (both politically and militarily). It's not hard to reason that the battle of Endor could (should?) have been the defining moment in the fall of the Empire.
A change of tides perhaps, a turn in their power and control... The USSR collapsed but look at Putin and all that he is trying to do to rebuild and restore the Soviet Union by way of empowering Russia and the insurgence into Ukraine to regain control... there is a rebellion going on there. As for Return of the Jedi we were to believe it was indeed the end of the empire... but now, the movies go on so that idea now has to change.

The story can go in a million different ways and be completely believable and consistent with the previous movies. The Empire could be dead and gone, or beat back but not defeated, or they could have regained complete control after their RotJ setback. It all boils down to how they write it. Whatever way they've decided to go in regards to the Empire, I'm on board and excited to see where the stories go.

For an Empire that spanned a million worlds, if we can reasonably assume that each one of those worlds would have had only one Star Destroyer for its defense, or if worlds would be grouped with one Star Destroyer per system, then what happened at Endor would still have been only a drop in a very big bucket.

As for Return of the Jedi we were to believe it was indeed the end of the empire... but now, the movies go on so that idea now has to change.

Yeah. I believe one of the biggest reasons for the "triumphant" end at the closure of Jedi was simply GL was burned out. He was ready to wrap things up and so he did. At the risk of re-hashing old arguments, I can clearly remember in my youth that GL himself spoke of nine different movies. It's safe to say that he was making a lot of this up as he went along, but I do remember in an interview where he spoke of three trilogies. I won't have a hard time at all going back to Jedi and seeing the end as just an interlude.

while a lot of people are a bit burned out on Jedi after the prequels I for one am good with at least one... Obi Wan! Especially if Ewan McGregor plays him again and he has so much as said he would reprise the role if needed in a few interviews in the past! I know they could get him... Imagine, while on Tatooine while hoping to keep tabs on young Luke, Obi Wan is visited by wayward and confused Jedi or needs to go help release captured Jedi at an imperial stronghold... And Vader enters the scene just as Obi Wan escapes... not quite knowing who it was that was trying to help the captured Jedi... oooh!!!
I just can't imagine he actually just meditated and drank at the local cantina for 20 Tatooine years waiting for the right time to tell Luke the truth about everything.. he had to have some other assignments perhaps even reluctantly assigned by Yoda himself.. I would so be there!

Have you read Kenobi by John Jackson Miller? It's a really good read and gives a glimpse or two into Ben's life (the beginning of it anyway) on Tatooine. I'd love to have more of that as there is quite a lot that could be dramatized about his life in the years leading up to Luke.

As for him reprising a role, I love Ewan's portrayal of Ben, but I'm not sure I'd want to see him in Episode VII. I'd like for this movie to be a good separation from the prequels, but that's just me! :)

Have you read Kenobi by John Jackson Miller? It's a really good read and gives a glimpse or two into Ben's life (the beginning of it anyway) on Tatooine. I'd love to have more of that as there is quite a lot that could be dramatized about his life in the years leading up to Luke.

As for him reprising a role, I love Ewan's portrayal of Ben, but I'm not sure I'd want to see him in Episode VII. I'd like for this movie to be a good separation from the prequels, but that's just me! :)
I have not read it yet but will be getting it as he is our guest author here in town at Atomacon in November... ya, I don't want him in the new trilogy.. just a spinoff film. taking place after Revenge of the Sith and before New Hope... I'd like to think he did a bit more than play in the sand until Luke was of age to train :D

For an Empire that spanned a million worlds, if we can reasonably assume that each one of those worlds would have had only one Star Destroyer for its defense, or if worlds would be grouped with one Star Destroyer per system, then what happened at Endor would still have been only a drop in a very big bucket.
Again, the death of both of their leaders: Palpatine and Vader has major implications - both politically and militarily - that's going to cause major havoc and Rebellious waves throughout it's grip. The beginning of A New Hope shows that the Rebellion is already growing and has a firm hold in that galaxy, it's easy to see that the battle of Endor could destroy or severely cripple the Empire as it was.

....and there's no saying how big the Star Wars galaxy and the Imperial hold on it is. Millions of planets? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we know how many planets are in this galaxy (especially as the EU has been dismissed). Even if there are millions - how many are like Tatooine, Hoth or Bespin where there's barely a presence (unless there's a call for it)? The biggest threat would be the Imperial Fleet and I don't know how big that was, either (it was implied (to me at least) that the Executor was new and fairly unique and it was destroyed along with Death Star 2).

Again, we're dealing with a whole new Star Wars with the EU gone... and who knows which way they're going to go. It's fun to speculate :)

Last edited:

I have not read it yet but will be getting it as he is our guest author here in town at Atomacon in November... ya, I don't want him in the new trilogy.. just a spinoff film. taking place after Revenge of the Sith and before New Hope... I'd like to think he did a bit more than play in the sand until Luke was of age to train :D

I thought it was a really good take on things and did indeed show he wasn't just meditating out in the sand dunes. It's sort of a Star Wars "western" if you will.

<<....and there's no saying how big the Star Wars galaxy and the Imperial hold on it is. Millions of planets? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think we know how many planets are in this galaxy (especially as the EU has been dismissed). >>

You are correct; there is never a numerical reference in anything officially sanctioned. But it was enormous! :)

<<Again, we're dealing with a whole new Star Wars with the EU gone... and who knows which way they're going to go. It's fun to speculate :) >>

I know, and I can't wait to find out!! :D

I would expect after the death of the Emperor and Vader, many of the Moff's jumped at the chance to power and have used their portion of the fleet/army for their own agendas

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back