Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I had an idea for just such a story...but then I decided to keep it for myself and adapt it to an entirely different universe.

The new "Emperor" could be written so it's not readily apparent what his true motivations are and whether he's truly evil, misguided, or just being misled by his advisors. Although Star Wars had always dealt largely with black and white issues of good vs. evil I think that a morally ambiguous villain character would make for an interesting change although I'm not sure if it would more cliche to make him truly evil but acting like he's not like Palpatine was or simply misguided or misled, I'm thinking that the misguided might be the less cliche esp. if he remains a true believer to the end and doesn't "realize the mistakes he's made and changes his ways".

A character like that could work very well, kind of like Lando when we first see him in ESB.

If there are new Jedi, there is going to have to be a mentor/instructor, that must be Luke. I hope they don't mention midichlorians. I always felt that was just some contrived way to mathematically express how powerful Analin/Vader was. Did it really need to be said?

Not to mention the fact that in the OT, the force was a religion. Yoda tells Luke that he couldn't lift the X-Wing out of the water because he didn't believe it. "That is why you fail." May the Force be with you, means believe in yourself.

Midicholorians changed it from a belief system to a genetic mutation. Thus the reason why some people are able to use the Force and others aren't. In the OT, Han couldn't be a Jedi because he didn't believe in the Force. Luke was inclined to believe in it because his father did, as well as his father's best friend, Ben Kenobi, and wanting to be like his father, he chose to follow the same path.

Boba Fett is dead. I don't understand why people make such a big deal over him. He had a cool suit, but that's it. Besides, he'll likely get his own spin off movie anyway. Vader, Boba Fett, and the Emperor are all dead. They have no reason to come back into the story. If they do, it will come off very contrived.

That would be really cool to see the factions of the Rebellion and the Empire team up to face a common threat. They tried to do it in the book Truce of Bakura, but it seemed too far fetched, given that it took place days after ROTJ. I could see it working better happening decades later after some semblance of peace had come back to the galaxy.

Not to mention the fact that in the OT, the force was a religion. Yoda tells Luke that he couldn't lift the X-Wing out of the water because he didn't believe it. "That is why you fail." May the Force be with you, means believe in yourself.

Midicholorians changed it from a belief system to a genetic mutation. Thus the reason why some people are able to use the Force and others aren't. In the OT, Han couldn't be a Jedi because he didn't believe in the Force. Luke was inclined to believe in it because his father did, as well as his father's best friend, Ben Kenobi, and wanting to be like his father, he chose to follow the same path.

This is my problem with people saying that the Force is a religion: never was it said by any Force-user in any of the 6 movies so far that it is in fact a religion. Yes, that one guy in the conference room in ANH (I can't recall his name) said it was a religion, but he wasn't a Force-user, so at most it means that that one person doesn't really know what the Force is, but that it resembles a religion is his mind.

Religions of the real world are all based on faith, something you can't see but in your soul you believe it to be real...that's my definition of religion. But anybody in the presence of a Jedi can see with their own two eyes that what they do is, in fact, real. And if anybody could do it, why did the galaxy have to wait for Luke Skywalker specifically to learn to use the Force in order to defeat the Emperor and DV? That doesn't make sense to me.

So I don't see the Force as a religion, but as an all-pervasive energy that only Jedi can manipulate, and the power chooses you, you don't choose it. It's like witches and wizards of the Harry Potter books: two magical parents can produce a magical or non-magical child, one magical parent and one non-magical parent can produce a magical or non-magical child, two non-magical parents can produce a magical or non-magical child, and so on and so forth.

So to me, the "the Force is a religion" argument doesn't hold water.

So I don't see the Force as a religion, but as an all-pervasive energy that only Jedi can manipulate, and the power chooses you, you don't choose it. It's like witches and wizards of the Harry Potter books: two magical parents can produce a magical or non-magical child, one magical parent and one non-magical parent can produce a magical or non-magical child, two non-magical parents can produce a magical or non-magical child, and so on and so forth.

So to me, the "the Force is a religion" argument doesn't hold water.

Except in the part where if you do happen to be one whom the Force chooses, the Jedi will take you while you're very young and make you follow their beliefs where you must have no 'emotional' attachments to your family or the ones you care about. The magical wizards and witches of Harry Potter are very different. Not only do the kids have a choice, they can still have an emotional attachment to their loved ones.

The Force itself might not be religious, but the ones who can use it sure treat it as such.

...The magical wizards and witches of Harry Potter are very different. Not only do the kids have a choice, they can still have an emotional attachment to their loved ones.

and there is the theme for the New Jedi Order under Master Luke Skywalker.

Luke sees the value in family love and family... it was also the love of the father for his son that Vader overcame himself and was the "Return of the Jedi" . Anakin knew love and family (his mother then Padme' and eventually Luke's sacrificial attempt to reach him) He loved Padme' deeply... so the revelation of his son existing awakened the glimmer of the good that was still within him and that power of love would triumph over the dark side. So naturally Luke would want to structure the Jedi order upon family and love.

Last edited:

and there is the theme for the New Jedi Order under Master Luke Skywalker.

If you told me that last year before October, I would be raising my glass in acknowledgment. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll be able to fall back on those stories anymore.

Except in the part where if you do happen to be one whom the Force chooses, the Jedi will take you while you're very young and make you follow their beliefs where you must have no 'emotional' attachments to your family or the ones you care about. The magical wizards and witches of Harry Potter are very different. Not only do the kids have a choice, they can still have an emotional attachment to their loved ones.

The Force itself might not be religious, but the ones who can use it sure treat it as such.

The child himself has no choice, true. But his/her parents do, so blame the parents, not the Jedi. lol

The child himself has no choice, true. But his/her parents do, so blame the parents, not the Jedi. lol

Except that if it is the parents' decision, than it just shows how the Jedi depend upon families who are so helpless and so poor that they cannot support their own children. Don't you think problems like that are a lot more important than solving trade disputes?

Except that if it is the parents' decision, than it just shows how the Jedi depend upon families who are so helpless and so poor that they cannot support their own children. Don't you think problems like that are a lot more important than solving trade disputes?

not necessarily. a Jedi may come to a wealthy family and ask if they would like their child to become a jedi... and they may be proud that their child is desired to be trained by a Jedi. no where does it show that only poor children are taken from their destitute families.

not necessarily. a Jedi may come to a wealthy family and ask if they would like their child to become a jedi... and they may be proud that their child is desired to be trained by a Jedi. no where does it show that only poor children are taken from their destitute families.

Wasn't Anakin part of a destitute family? At least he kind of had a choice.

Considering that being a Jedi is a life-long commitment, I have issues with religious zealots who willingly take children at an age where they cannot possibly comprehend or understand the life they're about to undertake. If the parents don't care, than the Jedi obviously don't either, and that is what's wrong.

It's supposed to be a HUGE honor to have your kid be picked for Jedi training. Nothing is ever said about it being based on the parent's money situation. It doesn't make sense for us, but we don't have the Jedi.

Boba Fett is dead. I don't understand why people make such a big deal over him. He had a cool suit, but that's it.

I wonder the same thing! Saying Boba Fett is your favorite Star Wars character to me is like saying your favorite Star Trek original series character is Mr. Leslie.

Not knocking on anyone's tastes or opinions, that's just how I see it. :)

I wonder the same thing! Saying Boba Fett is your favorite Star Wars character to me is like saying your favorite Star Trek original series character is Mr. Leslie.

Not knocking on anyone's tastes or opinions, that's just how I see it. :)

The same can be said about Darth Maul, he didn't really do anything but have a cloak on and fight a small bit. But he was awesome looking.

Also I have read a couple of Star Wars books and they expand on a lot of stuff you miss in the movies. And they have a looot of books. That could also be the reason.

Wasn't Anakin part of a destitute family? At least he kind of had a choice.

well, sure but that doesn't mean every other youngling in training was.

Considering that being a Jedi is a life-long commitment, I have issues with religious zealots who willingly take children at an age where they cannot possibly comprehend or understand the life they're about to undertake. If the parents don't care, than the Jedi obviously don't either, and that is what's wrong.

and with that I do agree with you. But I don't think its that either side doesnt' "care" I'm sure its a hard decision to make for the parents. I feel for the kid for sure and I think that was part of the problem with the jedi and their eventual downfall... like I pointed out in the end the Jedi that defeated the Sith in the end was the one who knew love... love for his mother, wife, child. In the end that is where the jedi failed all the younglings.

I addressed Maul and Fett a few pages back. They both look really cool/ have cool fighting abilities/ etc. but that's it. And I'm saying this purely based on what we see in the films. I don't have a problem with people liking these characters, as long as they acknowledge that what they love so much about them wasn't in the films (other than their look) but in the books, comics, games etc.

By making the Force a measurable, concrete thing in the PT, it lost a lot of it's magic in my opinion. There needs to be SOME mystery to a story. Without mystery, you can't get a sense of wonder.

Last edited:

By making the Force a measurable, concrete thing in the PT, it lost a lot of its magic in my opinion. There needs to be SOME mystery to a story. Without mystery, you can't get a sense of wonder.

I agree, especially making it something really stupid like some sort of bacteria or whatever the frak midicholorians were supposed to be. It it were as simple as that then why couldn't anybody be made a Jedi by a simple midchlorian injection or Jedi become more powerful with said injection and boost their count and thus their power? For the Force wasn't something that needed any clarification or definition, what both Ben and Yoda explained it as was enough for me, just vague enough to keep it interesting and just detailed enough to make it believable.

“[M]y ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us, binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force flow around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, yes, even between the land and the ship.”

That's metaphysical, not biology! Sure, the force could be "strong" with one person and perhaps weaker in another, but it was a part of everything and everyone - even Han! When we were kids, it really felt like if you stared at your bike long enough with your hand outstretched you could make it rise! The force was magic that anyone could tap into if they just believed strongly enough and had that strength of character. If I grew up on those prequels (which I will never watch again and which are not canon for the saga as it exists in my head) I'd have missed out on that magic. It's all a biological luck of the draw, and the only part of your destiny you can control is how big an @$;:&:! you might grow up to be.

I'd sure be psyched to see some innocence and magic return to the series!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back