Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Too much saber ballet in the PT for me. I mean there are other things, but that one is what takes me out of the movie when I watch the fight scenes.

I probably don't hate the PT as much as I might seem. I even still watch them from time to time, but I am quite critical of them. I'd say "I don't hate the PT, but there is a lot to dislike about how it affected the rest of the series."

Just my fallible opinions of course.

I didn't mind the PT. It was a fun "mind turning off" ride. Did it have the same impact that the OT did? No. But I'm also older now and see life through very different eyes. That's not to say Lucas did anything right or wrong. We've been looking through the same "glass" for so many years we had certain expectations that we thought would be met by the very man that created those feelings. Well... he's older too. He's changed and that's ok. I know kids who LOVED the PTs - LOVED THEM! That's all that matters to me. Carry on the torch and create a new generation of fans!

Now... With that being said...

There's an old saying... you never want to be the new guy who replaces the old guy. You want to be the guy who replaces the last guy. The OT will ALWAYS stand alone as a masterpiece. Love them or hate them the PT continued the story. EPVII and beyond... ????

IMO... you want to be the guy who replaces the last guy!

I didn't mind the PT. It was a fun "mind turning off" ride. Did it have the same impact that the OT did? No. But I'm also older now and see life through very different eyes. That's not to say Lucas did anything right or wrong. We've been looking through the same "glass" for so many years we had certain expectations that we thought would be met by the very man that created those feelings. Well... he's older too. He's changed and that's ok. I know kids who LOVED the PTs - LOVED THEM! That's all that matters to me. Carry on the torch and create a new generation of fans!

Now... With that being said...

There's an old saying... you never want to be the new guy who replaces the old guy. You want to be the guy who replaces the last guy. The OT will ALWAYS stand alone as a masterpiece. Love them or hate them the PT continued the story. EPVII and beyond... ????

IMO... you want to be the guy who replaces the last guy!
Very well said , I love the originals ........but that's because I saw them at age 8 .......I saw the new Trilogy in the cinema when those credits rolled my eyes teared up I won't lie....I loved the pod race and maul etc.....2 one left me cold and the third , great battle sequence and finally darths transformation .... But we knew what was going to happen, that takes eh edge off them , the shine
my son loves all 6 not all equally and his choice differs from mine, he's 9 he is a Clone Wars fan through and through......
when 7 comes out , we will both sit (and if I can convince my dad who brought me in 1978) in excited awe and neither of us will have a clue what's coming .......and we will enjoy them together ....exciting times

EDIT: Oh yah... and Han's blaster... ANH Hero? Looks like it to these weary old eyes.
They're trying to figure that out over in the Star Wars Costumes & Props section -- the thread on the ANH Hero DL-44.

--Jonah

In case you're still wondering, perhaps there's a hint in this photo taken during the "rivalry" between JJ and Zach Snyder during production of their respective movies.
btmnbygapic.jpg
If you'll recall that's John Boyega in the Batman getup.

I know someone posted a close up of the one Han is holding in the TFA trailer, but it's apparently not in this thread, so I can't find it to post.

Last edited:
I save preserver the mystery that remains. One more trailer in late october and that's it. Leave them wanting more......until 12/18

If it were up to me, there wouldn't be any more trailers. Frankly, I'd only have teasers.
And the toys wouldn't arrive on the shelves until after the movie is released. Like, a week before christmas

Sorry to disappoint, but that would never happen.
It happened once before...back in 1977. And it was for the most successful merchandising tie in of all time.

It's important to realize that this is a guarantee. Everything about it.

Nothing can detract from the desire to see this.

Their entire trailer could consist of shots of empty space with sound effects and bits of dialogue from the movie (as well as the other ones) and people would be just as excited. Maybe even more so.

And if they released the toys a week before Christmas they would FLY of the shelves. Imagine the publicity from the line ups outside the toy store. It would be like a new apple product

It happened once before...back in 1977. And it was for the most successful merchandising tie in of all time.

It's important to realize that this is a guarantee. Everything about it.

Nothing can detract from the desire to see this.

Their entire trailer could consist of shots of empty space with sound effects and bits of dialogue from the movie (as well as the other ones) and people would be just as excited. Maybe even more so.

And if they released the toys a week before Christmas they would FLY of the shelves. Imagine the publicity from the line ups outside the toy store. It would be like a new apple product

It was the most successful merchandising tie in of all time DESPITE the missteps initially and lack of product. That wasn't by design.

The toys are officially released from September :)

Frankly, that's just stupid IMO. Gives way too much away.

I mean, look at E1 - they released the sound track a month before the movie and it had the track 'death of qui gonn' on the back of it. I mean, hello???? Spoiler....I mean, Kylo Renn with removable helmet - we'll know who he is. Same with the chrometrooper if they go that route....Too much to give away. They're going to make a mint on the movie itself, no need to release the product 3 months out.

^ Which reminds me how pissed I still am that Maul's double-ended lightsaber was given away in the first damn teaser. At least everything shown for TFA, so far, seems to be from the first half of the film only.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back