Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I think I read somewhere back when all the 12 movies were going to be made without any giant gaps, that Luke was supposed to kill Vader then take his place, then the sister who wasn't Liea would spend the next three films training so that she could eventually fight Luke without resorting to any Dark side, even briefly.

I don't know if she was able to turn him back completely, or if it was a death bed recantation a bit like Vader's last moments.

If you think about it, didn't Luke predict his own fall to the dark side?

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

Yeah, he was a Jedi alright, and we all know how that turned out. You know I'm right... From a certain point of view.

Dark Empire was the pinnacle of the EU (EU peaked pretty early imo!) and part of the power was seeing a hero's fall. I'm ok with this IF THE WRITING IS GOOD. If the story is handled well, it'll be heartbreaking and beautiful. If it sucks, well, I can shove Ep VII into the same mental closet I put the PT and try not to think about it too much. But I'm not opposed to dark Luke on principle. In a way, the idealism of youth has to give ground, bitterness and cynicism often creep in, the realities of the world grind away a person...yeah, I'm on board with a somber sad turn for our hero.

One does not simply "proclaim" themselves a Jedi. Takes more than words.

He had that chat with Yoda and Yoda told him he wouldn't be a Jedi until he faced vader again. He did, and won, ergo, he can say he's a jedi. In years past, the council confirmed the title, seeing as yoda was all that's left of the entire order, his word holds :)

Dark Empire was the pinnacle of the EU (EU peaked pretty early imo!) and part of the power was seeing a hero's fall. I'm ok with this IF THE WRITING IS GOOD. If the story is handled well, it'll be heartbreaking and beautiful. If it sucks, well, I can shove Ep VII into the same mental closet I put the PT and try not to think about it too much. But I'm not opposed to dark Luke on principle. In a way, the idealism of youth has to give ground, bitterness and cynicism often creep in, the realities of the world grind away a person...yeah, I'm on board with a somber sad turn for our hero.

From what we've heard though, it's two different things. Dark Empire, he intentionally went as a method to figure out how to defeat the emperor/dark side. The whole thing had a heroic purpose. After the OT, to have him simply fall for no other reason than because evil won out would be a slap in the face to the OT imo. Makes everything that occurred via Luke there rather empty and pointless. I'm not sure there's a good story in him going evil for the sake of being evil. If there was a good reason, it needs good/long build up and if the point of 7-9 is to focus more on a new cast, there's not enough time to do the fall properly enough to make it meaningful. About the only option on that front is a conscious decision to do it ala DE.

Luke fell when he raged on Vader when Vader mentioned turning his "sister". Yoda said something to the fact that once you turn down the path of the Dark Side, forever will it be your destiny... Something like that... I can see Luke going down the path of "Like Father Like Son"... I think it's a cool idea really.

Did Luke actually go to the dark side though, I always felt Obi Wan got a lot closer when he went mental on Darth Maul, he's actually seething with anger waiting for the shield/door to open,and there was never any question that he had gone dark side or was even struggling with it.

Or maybe Obi Wan did go to the dark side, after all the Ankakin we saw up to that point had never done a bad thing in his life, the kid was practically a saint, then as soon as Obi Wan is in charge of him, he is wearing black and lopping peoples heads off.

Or maybe Obi Wan did go to the dark side, after all the Ankakin we saw up to that point had never done a bad thing in his life, the kid was practically a saint, then as soon as Obi Wan is in charge of him, he is wearing black and lopping peoples heads off.

No, that kid was all bad. I saw Jingle All the Way!!!:D

If anyone reading this thread has NOT read SECRET HISTORY OF STAR WARS by Kaminski I strongly recommend it. He really dissects how the scripts were written, what was abandoned, what was added and what was MERGED (yep, vader was never Lukes father until the 2nd Empire draft script). It really clearly lays out how the concepts came together -- and how Lucas changed his story repeatedly, never actually having more than a fuzzy idea how the series would play itself out, even for the prequels.

download.jpg

I won't go into what i think of Lucas's writing and directing -- because I'm keeping it short -- but I will say that after reading this book I'm VERY excited to see what anyone besides Lucas will do with the core concepts.

If anyone reading this thread has NOT read SECRET HISTORY OF STAR WARS by Kaminski I strongly recommend it. He really dissects how the scripts were written, what was abandoned, what was added and what was MERGED (yep, vader was never Lukes father until the 2nd Empire draft script). It really clearly lays out how the concepts came together -- and how Lucas changed his story repeatedly, never actually having more than a fuzzy idea how the series would play itself out, even for the prequels.

View attachment 384825

I won't go into what i think of Lucas's writing and directing -- because I'm keeping it short -- but I will say that after reading this book I'm VERY excited to see what anyone besides Lucas will do with the core concepts.

A second endorsement for this book--it's outstanding.

I think it's tough to beat the Rinzler three volume Making Of books for the most detail on pre-production.

Didn't Luke proclaim himself a Jedi?

I didn't say he wasn't, I said he wasn't a fully trained Jedi. He was maybe somewhere near Obi Wan's level of skill in TPM if that.

Dark Empire was the pinnacle of the EU (EU peaked pretty early imo!) and part of the power was seeing a hero's fall.

Not hardly. There were a LOT better books than DE. All of the X-Wing books, Republic Commando books, etc.I could stomach this plot in the new movie if they had Luke pretending to go to the Dark Side then temporarily falling like in DE. If they just make Luke the bad guy period it just doesn't fit the character.

I didn't say he wasn't, I said he wasn't a fully trained Jedi. He was maybe somewhere near Obi Wan's level of skill in TPM if that.

Not hardly. There were a LOT better books than DE. All of the X-Wing books, Republic Commando books, etc.I could stomach this plot in the new movie if they had Luke pretending to go to the Dark Side then temporarily falling like in DE. If they just make Luke the bad guy period it just doesn't fit the character.

It does fit the character if you look at the history etc "Like my father before me" etc.And again Luke did just as Yoda had warned him about. Luke failed the cave test, he faced VADER again and lost, and faced him a second time where he gave into the dark side to defeat him in front of Palpataine.

I think it's all misdirection. No Jedi exist, someone shows up with a lightsaber, and everyone assumes it's Luke, and the story begins...

Speaking of Rinzler, Jason brings up an interesting point regarding Kasdan's original vision for ROTJ and how is current involvement could be a clue to a Dark Luke.

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/10/s...skadans-original-ideas-luke-skywalker-future/

I like it, and I am a die hard OT purist and Luke was/is my childhood hero, to see him go dark would be heartbreaking, but what a twist it would be! But it is an idea that has been around for a long time. It would have to be done right and explained well. Like I said before it looks like they are trying to undo the PT crap and give us and emotional tragedy to make up for it. None of this Anakin ROTS turn to the darkside BS.

It could also be a case of reading into concept art and calling it fact. There is a lot of concept stuff that never amounts to much, and can easily be misconstrued. Either way I am super excited for this flick. Disney knows the stakes of Ep VII... it HAS to be good, so if this rumor is true, they have found a way to make it work and work convincingly!

If they DON'T do something edgy and fresh "I am done with the new Star Wars for good"...that is my ridiculous blanket statement based off of specualtion ;)

This Luke rumor if true is just sad. It would take a huge dump on everything I enjoyed about the Original OT. The OT to me as well as many others I am sure has a very special place in our hearts and always will. To me The Original Trilogy is it said and done over complete and always will be. The PT was disappointing imo because of many reasons but the huge 3 being

1. Anakin's Final turn was horrendous and borderline dare I say comical. The whole sequence was just the biggest let down.
2. I felt like I was watching a video game with all the digital effects and did not feel real like I could actually be there
3. The acting was so stiff and rigid and the forced attempts at comedy with jar jar as well as the forcing in lines from the ot made it hard to deal with.

So that being said they did me a favor in blowing the PT because it will be just as Easy to detach from this new trilogy if it goes in a direction I do not care for.
IMHO if they do that to Luke the new trilogy will meaning nothing to me much the same as the PT does.

The famous line Obi Wan Kenobi says in Return of the Jedi sums it up best for everyone " what I told you was true.....from a certain point of view "
and mine is Star Wars the OT was it over said and done.

It isn't sad... It would actually make some sense! Who better to be a bad guy than luke? It would actually make for some tough story telling and blow away a lot of fans....

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back