Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Very very true.

People are under the impression that in all cases miniatures/models are better than a computer model. That's just not true. Each has it's own uses and good and bad points.

I agree. I think the Falcon in the '97 SW Special Edition taking off from Anchorhead is a good example of CG done well. I wouldn't argue those sorts of things and I don't think others who have seen CG done well would argue that either. It's the armies of CG Clone Troopers when people in suits would have been better that has bothered me. A really well-executed CG spaceship I wouldn't quibble about at all.

I agree. I think the Falcon in the '97 SW Special Edition taking off from Anchorhead is a good example of CG done well. I wouldn't argue those sorts of things and I don't think others who have seen CG done well would argue that either. It's the armies of CG Clone Troopers when people in suits would have been better that has bothered me. A really well-executed CG spaceship I wouldn't quibble about at all.

I agree, CG people don't belong in movies, or TV shows except in large crowd/battle scenes and for those scenes that involve stunts that too difficult and/or dangerous for a real stuntman to perform.

Wow. Not even started and already leaking info. I guess an NDA is not as important as the need to massage their ego. Oh wait. he deleted his comments. Sad.

This opens sooo many opportunities for other people on that production! I just hope that all people involved take a ton of notes and bg pictures of their work ...

Not sure how. :-/ Everyone is quite rightly keeping things to themselves, including those who have been on it since the beginning.

I love real models as much as the next guy, but the first star trek ship that actually looked like it could have been a full sized ship was in JJ's star trek.

On the ground, be real when you can, in space, noone can hear you CGI.

I agree, CG people don't belong in movies, or TV shows except in large crowd/battle scenes and for those scenes that involve stunts that too difficult and/or dangerous for a real stuntman to perform.

Yeah, the distance/dangerous scenes would be perfect for cg people or troops, just not the closeups, or the ones that require an inimitable human gait or dexterity.

Last edited:

Oh don't get me wrong I know CGI is great. But you will not find forums 40 years after the fact still drooling and replicating every mm of the ships details when you use CGI. Jut my opinion of course. :)

Ben

Oh don't get me wrong I know CGI is great. But you will not find forums 40 years after the fact still drooling and replicating every mm of the ships details when you use CGI...
Sure you will. The difference is that in 40 years it'll be a bunch of computer jockeys printing out their work on 3D printers instead of craftspeople gluing and painting little pieces of wood, plastic, and brass. :D

Sure you will. The difference is that in 40 years it'll be a bunch of computer jockeys printing out their work on 3D printers instead of craftspeople gluing and painting little pieces of wood, plastic, and brass. :D

Lol.:lol.....

- - - Updated - - -

Lol.:lol.....

I appreciate inventive uses for found objects. The things they did with "surplus" in the OT was really inventive, however, getting the visual dictionary for the PT could be a bit disappointing at times with some of the apcray they used. I wonder to what extant "found objects" will be used in the upcoming movies, or if they'll just fabricate everything...

I'll bet Abrams has this all worked out so that no sneaky cameras catch anything significant at the trailers. Everything is probably all home-based in very close proximity to the actual hot set.

A guy on AICN commented about how his buddy has already told him that they are shooting in England, and that it´s allegedly Endor, so the scout trooper theory is not bad.

And this here ...

star-wars4-movie-screencaps.com-10435.jpg

... first made me think that they kind of shot in an imperial loo, with a Luke character hiding in one of the cabins ...

A guy on AICN commented about how his buddy has already told him that they are shooting in England, and that it´s allegedly Endor, so the scout trooper theory is not bad.

... ..

Didn't Kevin Smith already spill the beans that there were stormtroopers? maybe that was someone else... ya, another person posted they saw updated versions of stormtroopers... anyway, just because they are filming in the wood doesn't mean its Endor... why would they need to go to Endor? maybe its Naboo.. it too had trees... :D

I'm more interested in who's in charge of what's left of the Empire... or whatever they call themselves after some punk helped assassinate their Emperor... this guy better be a real bad ass for me to still fear this army of stormtroopers and fleet of Star Destroyers.... who took control after the battle of Endor is the $1 million question! :D

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back