Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I certainly hope there won't be a cold environment in Ep. VII because between the desert environment and now a snow/cold environment it sounds like JJ & co. are out to make a Stars Wars paint by numbers movie by incorporating every element that we saw in the OT into this new one. Desert environment/Tattooine, check; snow & ice world/Hoth, check; stormtroopers, check. I really hope that we're not going to get reports of them doing an Endor forest like world as well because that will really confirm my paint by numbers suspicions.

I don't pretend to know J.J.'s inner muse but I honestly don't think he's as pedestrian as trying to just rehash "Old Star Wars". However, there's also the extremely strong pull to bring back the satisfaction of that old Star Wars to the multitude of people who felt they were left empty by something that was as unfamiliar as the prequels, and there are few ways to get back that nostalgia other than mixing in some elements of what we are familiar with in the OT.

Some rumours do have Han on a search across the galaxy for Luke, now if you were looking for someone, you would start with were they have previously hung out.

Tattonine, Hoth, Dagoba, Endor.

Who knows, they might spend less than a minute on each planet, but don't beat JJ up for going back to Tattooine, its not like every film but Empire did the same.

Oh wait, it is like that, Guess there is precedence then.

Since my record is good so far, I also want to mention that I saw what I think is a Snowtrooper as well.

I wasn't going to mention it at all because I wasn't sure, but I just saw a main character's costume ( I can't tell you whom) that indicates there may be a snow or cold environment in the next film.

There rumors of a snow set but some said it was for an Everest film being made. No please on Jedi Leia.

I'm surprised that nobody has posted this already but the Chive.com has posted a bunch of leaked photos from the set of Ep. VII. Nothing ground breaking, just a bunch of extras on a desert world but it does show the sets, at least this one, are going to be largely practical.
Leaked Photos of Star Wars: Episode VII (25 Photos) : theCHIVE

pretty sure we did... these are all a month old now... at least I know these were discussed at length exactly one month ago at astromech.net.

I did wonder about those. Even in a new hope people were saying R2 was old and beat up, maybe he is obsolete now, and these are the new style R3s or something?

we got confirmation from someone working in London at Pinewood Studios that these are just "background dressing" droids. Most likely in the film you will really have to look hard to even spot these two... probably will be seen far in the distance for a split second if at all! They weren't designed to be detailed in any way...

Those look like some kind of budget R2's in a skip in pic 4

Quick cheap down and dirty background dressing to appear as junk droids being hauled to market or junkyard. nothing more and nothing new. The prequels had similar sorts of background "proto-R2s" which were non-functioning junk droids.

... As far as I'm concerned, the backstory has yet to be told.

Now THAT is "Ultra" thinking, I guess :lol

No, seriously and probably a bit off topic. We had an apparently short lived movement over here in Germany that made very strong statements against George Lucas and how he treated the movies. They demanded to "expropriate George Lucas" and "take over Disney". Fighting against 3D, the SE´s and the racism within the PT. A bit too strong for my taste. "Ultras" are usually hardcore fans of football clubs over here in Germany that unfortunately do not stop at cheering for their clubs. I mean, who needs to see Star Wars and fans moved close to hardcore football fans?

Regarding the first batch of leaked photos: that blonde is just an extra, right? Wow, what a shame to hide her under a mask. And all that cloth ...

Since the style of the ships always changes why don't the style of the droids change over time? R2 and 3Po should have been way outdated even by the OT time. Now it's another 30 years later. This would be like still using the same vacuum cleaner your grandma used back in the 50s. Even if they are considered AI surely they would have had their "brains" put into newer technologically better bodies at some point to improve.

Since the style of the ships always changes why don't the style of the droids change over time? R2 and 3Po should have been way outdated even by the OT time. Now it's another 30 years later. This would be like still using the same vacuum cleaner your grandma used back in the 50s. Even if they are considered AI surely they would have had their "brains" put into newer technologically better bodies at some point to improve.

Sentimental attachment?

there are indeed better designed droids... even the interrogator droid on the death star floated antigravity as did the probe droid so why wouldn't all droids have this tech? well, its a big galaxy... various planets built the droids they needed, liked etc and even if they are somehow obsolete they are still useable... droids are a dime a dozen... very common. VW bugs and buses were obsolete and out of style but countries still built them (germany, then japan, I believe argentina and then mexico built them until 2003 which ended a 70-year run for that design of auto!) and Mexico's capital finally phased out the iconic Volkwagen "Bug" taxis in 2012... a good reliable vehicle that was and is still popular even today.. you still see them on the road... so maybe in a galaxy far far away 30 year old well built AI droids don't need to be discarded, upgraded or retired. to me, droids in general and especially protocol and astromechs like threepio and R2 are like forks and spoons... or microwave ovens.. they just are, they work, they were designed well enough the first time.... if you don't like an astromech with 2/3 legs then if you can afford a new ddroid you buy the next best generation of droid that floats.... Luke's land speeder is a prime example: "Ever since the XP-38 came out, they just aren't in demand." ―Luke Skywalker

I suspect that is exactly the reason the droids are still around at this point

Steve

that and the life span and usefulness in a galaxy far far away may be more than 30 /60 years... we are thinking in earth terms and of our own primitive way of building and engineering... there the tech has been around and shared for thousands of years by millions of species from millions of star systems... they built good droids to last hundreds of years. this sort of thing never bothered me! automobiles and the combustion engine haven't changed much in 100 years here on earth and I still see 1930's 40's 50's cars on the road. sure for nostalgic fun but they function the same and in many cases have better gas mileage than most modern cars on the road today... new isn't always better.

It's also especially funny when you consider the "Betty droids" were available by the time of Ep. III. These were uber-sophisticated droids with a very fluid, almost human-like gait. Definitely not the tired and old 3POs or R2s, yet the 3POs and R2s remained in the OT...

Star Wars Episode VII

It's also especially funny when you consider the "Betty droids" were available by the time of Ep. III. These were uber-sophisticated droids with a very fluid, almost human-like gait. Definitely not the tired and old 3POs or R2s, yet the 3POs and R2s remained in the OT...

well, realistically were are talking about taking the much loved and recognizable (and marketable) 1970s design and costume technology and keeping them in the modern more sophisticated CGI world of film making of today. I think most would be appalled if R2 and Threepio were put into episode 7 as "new and improved" making them different and not recognizable.
the industrial design of R2 is crap anyway when you think of it in real world terms... he's a mechanic yet he has pointy edged square feet with battery hoses that would get tangled up and ripped off and all kinds of protruding body parts like the holoprojectors on his dome that would get broken in a real world environment for which he is designed to work in... but we still love his look. he has character! :D the Bettie's probably were pricey but astromechs are free or dirt cheap! Astromechs seem to be wandering around everywhere with no owner in sight!

Last edited:

As long as JJ doesn't have Ewoks or JarJar in this movie it won't be a total bust even if i'm not a fan of his lol. I just saw a photo of harrison with some odd peg leg setup, i'm guessing so he can stand up in scenes? Couldn't they just adlib that Han broke his leg not letting the wookie win? As for the droids, i'm betting it's like a lot of tech. You have the higher end stuff that is reserved then you have the mass produced expendable stuff.

As long as JJ doesn't have Ewoks or JarJar in this movie it won't be a total bust even if i'm not a fan of his lol. I just saw a photo of harrison with some odd peg leg setup, i'm guessing so he can stand up in scenes? Couldn't they just adlib that Han broke his leg not letting the wookie win? As for the droids, i'm betting it's like a lot of tech. You have the higher end stuff that is reserved then you have the mass produced expendable stuff.

ya, Owen probably wasn't particularly wealthy yet he was able to afford to buy Threepio and R2 from the Jawas... also perhaps the company that makes R series astromechs has some kind of monopoly on it... same with the protocol droids, gonk power droids...... now there's a weird design... gonk power droids walk on two legs very slowly... I hope no one is in any hurry to get something charged up!

ya, the Harrison Ford leg cast peg system photos came out June 30th... that thing looks like another accident waiting to happen! :D

I wish Bea Arthur was still around.

funny thing is she took being in the holiday special very seriously. when you watch it you'll see she gave it 110% (I dare you to watch it again! :p )

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, and the totally unbelievable way he can navigate across sand and stairs, but we still love him. :D

Like the goofy, lunatic CZ-3! :D :D

he did have an odd tick... something wrong with that one! :D

I kinda liked the Holiday Special. Of course, I grew up watching those old variety shows. I'd rather watch Bea Arthur than jarjar any day.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back