Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

You can use the format below without the asterisks to enable the spoiler tag.

[*spoiler]Content[*/spoiler]

What did the saber look like?!

If the saber was crudely divided into sections, it looks like brushed and lightly polished spun aluminum on the bottom, center grip, and emitter. Satin grey finish on the guards above and below the grip.

Last edited:

Disney Will Release EPISODE VII In 2015 Or Kill Harrison Ford Trying | Badass Digest
To hell with delivering the right intended story for the movie, sticking with the release date is all that matters.

STAR WARS December 2015 Or Bust! — Latino-Review.com
You can read the original piece at Latino Review, though it goes on a longer rant.

WHAT A LOAD OF LINK BAIT CRAP. This doesn't even deserve to be in this thread, Vivek. Can we keep the hysterical hyperbole out of at least some of this?

I hate articles like that "Abrams looks so tired in every set shot"

These guys need to spend less time in front of their computers and work on a set. I'm wrecked right now... 70 hour weeks editing on a feature that will be a pretty big deal. I'm tired as hell. Am I enjoying it? yes. Am I doing a **** job editing cuz I'm tired? No.

If you are DIRECTING and you look like sunshine and rainbows then YOU AREN'T WORKING VERY HARD.

And if the director isn't working very hard, the flick will show it.

I'm glad he looks worn, he should.

I hear you Bryan, it's definitely lot of conjecture at this point and the article is filled with fluff in midst of the release date info.

One can only hope that Han's role and direction of the story isn't been compromised in order to keep up with the release date.

Knowing Harrison Ford, if the doctors tell him he will need six months to recover he will be fine in two anyway.

No offense, but from a certain perspective, I can believe the article isn't far off base.

There was next to nothing in the way of SW toys from what? 86-95? They started releasing toys again in late '95 and they EXPLODED. That was way before the prequels were announced as well. Lucas signed a BILLION dollar contract in just licensing before E1, though that was for all 3 prequels. Even if you bloat the budgets to 200M a pop for the prequels, that's a profit of 400M BEFORE the cameras rolled on E1 figuratively speaking. Toss in the fact there was no chance that any of the movies wouldn't make a profit and the cash registers were clearly going to overheat. Jump to today. LFL had/has a great marketing division, but Disney is in a league of their own. That sequel licensing will eclipse that billion mark of the prequels with ease i'd imagine. Plus, you'll have the spinoff's (2 more movies we already know of) and the Rebels cartoon. I can see that number rising to 2 billion in licensing. And, that's without including the profit from the 5 movies and TV show. They paid 4 billion, they're very likely to make it back by the time E9 hits theaters.

That said, though, I don't think they're stupid. Do retailers want the figures for financial year 2015? I'm sure they do. Will they sell a markedly different amount if it's released in May 2016? No. The difference I'd like to think is that both LFL and Disney are aware there a lot of people who didn't like the prequels and that base is older with a good amount of discretionary income. You rush E7 and it comes out a dud, you can probably kiss that group good-bye and then you put 8, 9, and the spin-offs at risk. E7 comes out well, 1-2 of the following 4 flicks can struggle or be a dud and it'll be OK. I think they have a good deal riding on 7 being good and I don't think they'd risk it over six months for retailer accounting methods.

DId they tell them xmas 2015? Probably. However, the way these things are written up, there's a clause in there about unforeseen circumstances. Losing a key actor for an extended period of time would qualify I'm sure. You can shoot around it to a certain extent, but not completely depending on the length of absence.

I, too, can see some strong connection to the toy industry. I remember hearing or reading about George Lucas inserting General Grievous and the chase with Obi-Wan Kenobi into Ep.3 out of sheer necessity for more toys in the franchise. Same goes for the ton of different Clone Troopers that did not serve any story telling purpose at all (not counting the CT´s in the Clone Wars series, where it indeed helps to have all the various types of clones).

I am not sure if DIsney has a larger or better connection between their movies and their merch, but I am sure that it is a bit less caring, or at least "removed" from their merch, due to the divergence in product. So, caring for the fans is part of what JJ does (isn´t it funny that we already accepted the abbreviation "JJ" as a replacement for "GL"? Or is that just me?) and Kathleen Kennedy, but it does not look like the higher uppers at Disney do. With the Marvel franchise, although there is already a very strong fanbase, it´s easier for them, since there is more leeway. The SW fans are special, caring and knowing so much.

This is hardly new, was there really any reason to have A and B wings in ROTJ other than to sell more than just X and Y wing toys.

Both were very short releases and the Awing didn't get a toy until droids, not part of the ROTJ releases...

I, too, can see some strong connection to the toy industry. I remember hearing or reading about George Lucas inserting General Grievous and the chase with Obi-Wan Kenobi into Ep.3 out of sheer necessity for more toys in the franchise. Same goes for the ton of different Clone Troopers that did not serve any story telling purpose at all (not counting the CT´s in the Clone Wars series, where it indeed helps to have all the various types of clones).

I am not sure if DIsney has a larger or better connection between their movies and their merch, but I am sure that it is a bit less caring, or at least "removed" from their merch, due to the divergence in product. So, caring for the fans is part of what JJ does (isn´t it funny that we already accepted the abbreviation "JJ" as a replacement for "GL"? Or is that just me?) and Kathleen Kennedy, but it does not look like the higher uppers at Disney do. With the Marvel franchise, although there is already a very strong fanbase, it´s easier for them, since there is more leeway. The SW fans are special, caring and knowing so much.

......funny went into the Disney store in Belfast today.....big poster of Star Wars in the window,.....Luke, Han, Leia, Ben,....in the shop they had all classic Star Wars,.....you would have thought you were back in 1977.....then I spotted it....a Anakin Skywalker figure,.....just that one character,....Hyden with long hair......a minuscule amount of Prequel just to spoil the mood
J

\Lucas signed a BILLION dollar contract in just licensing before E1, though that was for all 3 prequels.

I recall reading back in the early 90s that GL signed a deal w/ the studios back during the filming of ep IV related to profits in which they gave up 100% of the merchandise rights; following star wars the main cast were given boxes of the toys - David Prowse in an interview spoke of struggling to give them away not realising the increase in value which was to come. Very shrewd decision and one which certainly did impact on the addition of certain "bankable" characters - sadly for GL the gungans were not the spinner that the ewoks had been 16yrs previously.

I'm hoping that because Disney have commercial rights across the board here that financial decisions are made in the interests of the franchise not the interests of the merchandise

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back