Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Its the development of different propulsion systems that radical changes aircraft/spaceship design. Given just how long the hyperdrive has been present in the SW universe overall I always felt the need for huge changes in hull shape had mostly disappeared by ANH , except where functions ,other than the drives, would require large alterations to the ship design ie weaponry.So the changes to the X wing ie newer models seem fine. No doubt there are still older models in service much like aircraft today.
I would equate the X wing to the Harrier jump jet, which was designed in the early sixties, and has had many improved varitations since, but is still fairly widely used today,due to its overall combat flexibility. And thats also why I don't have any problem with the Falcon being around, I believed that the hyperdrive engines last just about forever but its the "slight modifications" that can be built around them for normal space travel that make the difference.
In somecases there is no need to change a design classic. Just look at the number of classic cars around today. Which is also why I am delighted we are seeing this "Old School" adherance to the principles of design used in the OT. Warfare forces design evolution on quickly, so we had newer ships like the A and B wings appear towards the end of the trilogy, along with the Tie Interceptors. Post war the spacecraft industries then revert to incorporating those improvements into civilian ships.
So I'd expect to see alot more of the types of craft we liked but inslightly improved forms. Just not radically changed ,like we witnessed in the prequels. I also think JJ has gone out of his way to reassure us older fans with these "leaks" to show us that he IS NOT messing with the overall design appeal of the OT, as we had happen with the Star Trek reboot. For which I am very gratefull.

I initially wasn't sold on the notion of JJ directing Ep. VII but I have to say I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. It looks like he very well could finally be making the SW film I've been waiting for for a long time. I really hope they are indeed using some of McQuarrie's concepts, as it appears they are, since much of it already looked like a more evolved version of what we saw in the OT. I wouldn't be surprised in the stormtroopers, if there are any, echo some of McQuarrie's stormtrooper concepts. As for the X-wing, it does look pretty stubby though in another pic the stubbiness isn't quite as apparent. I do wonder if there's a weird perspective distortion going on.

I think that that X-Wing, without a regular length nose.
Maybe it's an EX-Wing.
Maybe the X-Wing hasn't had the nose put on yet.
Or it had been built with forced perspective in mind - something about the angle the S-foils are attached looks off too.

Well, or perhaps we have to consider they used one of these two "references" for the new snub fighter...

XWingFighter2.jpg

20040923xwingtour.jpg

I hope not though...

Well, or perhaps we have to consider they used one of these two "references" for the new snub fighter...
I hope not though...

Good one :lol

What worries me a little bit is that the area where the engine exhaust connects to the main engine housing is kind of "smoothed out". Enterprise nacelles, here we come? :p

Or it had been built with forced perspective in mind - something about the angle the S-foils are attached looks off too.

That's what I was thinking too.

Wouldn't it be fun if JJ said "oh so you're drooling over pics taken at the warehouse where the REJECTED props were stored away?" ;-)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It´s too close to the original x-wing-design.
There are differences, but I think it´s def the Incom T-65 Space superiority fighter Model ABoY+30 ;P

Yeah, but too far away from the filming minis/lifesize ships to be the exact same ship - and why wouldn't there be an updated version in 30 years?

Wouldn't it be fun if JJ said "oh so you're drooling over pics taken at the warehouse where the REJECTED props were stored away?" ;-)

Unlikely. Considering that's very expensive set piece, I'm sure the design would have been rejected long before it was built full scale. Ultimately, the sequence may deleted, but nothing that big is built full scale as a "concept". That's just a waste of money.

Unlikely. Considering that's very expensive set piece, I'm sure the design would have been rejected long before it was built full scale. Ultimately, the sequence may deleted, but nothing that big is built full scale as a "concept". That's just a waste of money.

I know, I know... was just kidding.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I've been staring at those fighter pics, and something just doesn't seem right. I think that they've been retouched, by the production, before they were 'leaked", in order to give the impression that the construction of the vehicle is further along than what is actually the case. The engine intakes and wing canons are pixel perfect copies in each image despite the different camera angle (the fuselage in one is more foreshortened than in the other), and the "paint job" on the fuselage looks suspicious as well. Also, the lighting on those parts of the vehicle is also not what I'd expect in that environment (ie. the wing canons look very flat, etc.). I think that there's trickery afoot, and that these are the product of the publicity machine. I'd take these image with some giant grains of salt.

I've been staring at those fighter pics, and something just doesn't seem right. I think that they've been retouched, by the production, before they were 'leaked", in order to give the impression that the construction of the vehicle is further along than what is actually the case. The engine intakes and wing canons are pixel perfect copies in each image despite the different camera angle (the fuselage in one is more foreshortened than in the other), and the "paint job" on the fuselage looks suspicious as well. Also, the lighting on those parts of the vehicle is also not what I'd expect in that environment (ie. the wing canons look very flat, etc.). I think that there's trickery afoot, and that these are the product of the publicity machine. I'd take these image with some giant grains of salt.

It's hard to tell at such a low resolution, but is it possible that the entire engine section is just a stand-in cardboard/wooden cutout? It looks completely flat coloured, and given that it's consistent between the two images as well, it's hard to believe this was an intentional attempt to trick the viewer, otherwise it's very poorly done. If anyone at Disney or related to the production had retouched it, I would think they'd do a much better job. And I doubt anyone at TMZ would have touched it up after the fact, as if it needed it to get people excited.
You're correct that it's not right though.

A friend pointed out all the additional parts and odd look of the wing tip, and mentioned that it just may be a mock up for the guys building these things to use as reference, and may not be to scale. Either that, or its been 30 years and they've updated the ship somehow.....

A friend pointed out all the additional parts and odd look of the wing tip, and mentioned that it just may be a mock up for the guys building these things to use as reference, and may not be to scale. Either that, or its been 30 years and they've updated the ship somehow.....

Or maybe it''s just a background vehicle for use in scene full of X-wings and/or other craft? Remeber the rebel hangar from ANH?

I had one when i was young as well, I thought it was AWESOME! I broke the wing somehow.

Bummer. I'll admit, when I first got it, it didn't have the canopy or the laser cannons, which are the most common missing parts and are really expensive to replace. I was lucky because I knew a place that had some spare parts and knew someone who had two spare cannons that he didn't have the toy for.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back