Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Just a thought, but why would create a desert set for star wars and have it not be tatooine? True, many planets could have deserts on them (and multiples per planet at that), it kind of diverges from what we've seen in 6 flicks...

Naboo - lush and green
Tat - desert
Coruscant - city planet
Geonosis - not so much desert (it seemed) as desolate/caves/mesa's
Kamino - all water
Mustafar - lava planet
Kashyyk - jungle planet
(whatever planet grevious was on - kind of an asteroid with a city in a giant hole)
Alderaan - apparently all fine type forests from the whole 15 seconds we see of it
Yavin 4 - jungle
Hoth - ice planet
Endor - redwood forest planet

Short of Kashyyk/Yavin/Endor everything has been very different. You could argue the ruins set Yavin apart as well. Endor/Kashyyk look pretty similar, but combined probably don't net 10 minutes of screen time - maybe 5 at best.

Short of a 'gotcha' there doesn't seem to be much logical reason to have a desert locale if not tatooine. Doesn't mean it could be something else, but logic suggests otherwise. I'd say the longer they shoot there the better the odds it's tatoine. Seems to be an extreme locale, though, if it's just for 5 minutes of screen time.

As I have mentioned before, we have been to Tatooine in 4 of the 6 films. These films have always had a sense of symmetry. We are going back to Tatooine for this first one.

As I have mentioned before, we have been to Tatooine in 4 of the 6 films. These films have always had a sense of symmetry. We are going back to Tatooine for this first one.

I agree. But I think you meant 5 out of 6 films didn't you ;). That puppet made me all giddy. :)

Ben

Awesome? Really? That puppet looks like it should be on the Muppets! Whatever that was that walked by does not give me a great sense of hope.

Yes, sorry!

I was just being cheeky bud ;)

Ben

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome? Really? That puppet looks like it should be on the Muppets! Whatever that was that walked by does not give me a great sense of hope.

You forgotten the cantina already?? ;) I love it. It looks like something straight out of the 80's.I can't wait to show my son.

Ben

Meh, don't care, myself. I mean, the planets in a general sense, I'm fine with revisiting. But I did not love the design style of the prequel era. That said, I'm more concerned with telling a good story, rather than where the story is set. I just don't want the entire exercise to devolve into a series of wink-wink-grin-grin callbacks to the previous films. Just tell the ****ing story and don't get cute about it. I accept that someone will "have a bad feeling about this," but otherwise...yeah, don't belabor the callbacks.
I concur. I don't have a problem with them including locations and/or characters we've seen before as long as there's a valid reason for them being in the movie. If they're only doing it because they think that's what the fans want, they needn't bother.

Here's a question for you or something to think about:since SW is a galaxy all it's own (unless it's a part of ours) then that means there are literally billions​ of planets in it,so what we've seen (should) be a tiny drop in the bucket.

Those of you looking for news from the set, John Boyega seems to be the one to follow on twitter and instagram (Jboyega) as he posts pics and short clips regularly...

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Is there anything from the prequels that anyone would want to see? Is Watto still around? Naboo? Kamino? Utapau? Mustafar? Or is it just best to forget those dark times?

Personally I would really like to see more of Naboo :D It is such a beautiful location.

Just a thought, but why would create a desert set for star wars and have it not be tatooine? True, many planets could have deserts on them (and multiples per planet at that), it kind of diverges from what we've seen in 6 flicks...

Mustafar - lava MOON
Endor - redwood forest MOON

Fixed that for you ;)

Here's a question for you or something to think about:since SW is a galaxy all it's own (unless it's a part of ours) then that means there are literally billions​ of planets in it,so what we've seen (should) be a tiny drop in the bucket.

Yep.

Me I'd like to see Corellia, Dantooine, Yavin IV and Dathomir in any of the future releases. Maybe Ryloth as well...

Yes, this is also our first glimpse of what seems to be a diminutive and decrepit Yak Face or Yarkora as they are referred to in the Legends series.

Nope, seems to be a completely new species ;) Look at the eyes, the skull is too short, proportions etc.
I hope to see many, many more new species, although hopefully in the tone of the OT. The creatures in EP1 were so damn over the top. This example here just warms my heart. This clip IMO conveys that JJ really loves to PLAY in the SW universe. Immersing himself into this vast Universe. Dammit, I did really like his take on Trek, storytelling wise, most of the visuals, too.

Today did not start too well for me, but this little clip washed most of that away. I just clicked the making of a saga, a youtube recommendation. After several months (or is that years?) it feels like SW again.

There are going to be so many cool new props to build, to watch people solve the mysteries of, to scurry around ebay looking for the exact found part...gets the blood pumping. I wonder if they'll do found items for sabers and blasters?

Again, I don't care what planet we are on. I just want a well written script and at least decent acting. That's all I care about when I strip things down to the core.

If there are going to be new Aliens in these new Star Wars movies, I hope Abrams doesn't treat them as visual jokes like he did with Star Trek. That's Men in Black territory.

If there are going to be new Aliens in these new Star Wars movies, I hope Abrams doesn't treat them as visual jokes like he did with Star Trek. That's Men in Black territory.

Well if the puppet/costume we saw in that video is representative for the direction they're going, I have no worries in that regard.

Well if the puppet/costume we saw in that video is representative for the direction they're going, I have no worries in that regard.

Another good way of doing it with CGI is by having 80% of said character shot in-camera and add the remaining 20% later in post production. Like have everything be real except for the neck and head.

Yeah I am ok with CGI if you absolutely cannot do it practically. I think CGI has been so overly abused now. It's just VERY hard to replicate reality with CGI. While I have seen many times it done VERY well, there's a huge outweighing of films that are eye sores where it just didn't work. I think mixing it up is the best way, but not relying everything on CGI.

I believe JJ is taking to heart all the criticism toward CGI and the actors' demands of more real tactile sets to interact with.... And well JJ is a big advocate for sets as well. I think he is going to be very faithful to the franchise with him also being such a major fan of the series. JJ will want to do it justice. It's not some dude who isn't familiar with the films like Michael Bay making Transformers. These films will be in the hands of people who are both very capable and very passionate about Star Wars. I don't think it will be handled any other way than that. You gotta have people that care and not just for another paycheck to make this thing great.

It's been a long time since I have little worried about a franchise carry over to new hands. I have a LOT of confidence this will be done well. And I sure as heck have more confidence in this collaboration over when the prequels were being developed from a script aspect all the way to visuals. I think we'll be going back to the roots with a very tasteful update while also breaking new ground in the Star Wars universe. It's an exciting time.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back