Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

For me it will be interesting to see:
1. How much of the movie disregards or completely conflicts with the previous movies. JJ showed in Star Trek that cannon does not matter to him.
2. How much lens flare will be present. Will I need sunglasses for light saber battles?

I agree completely.

Star Wars was lightning in a bottle. The Empire Strikes Back was lightning captured in that same bottle. Return of the Jedi was the bottle tipping over.
The Phantom Menace was the tornado that blew the bottle around until no one knew where it was. Attack of the Clones found the bottle and smashed it. Revenge of the Sith was the FEMA trailer parked on the remains of the bottle.
Episode 7 is a plaque stating " In memory of a bottle which held lightning. "

Fair enough but I think that the absence of Sith is not really balance. Ying and yang. I think anytime you create an "Order" you create a dogma and bureaucracy that leads to decay. Isn't that way more interesting a path for JJ to go down then, "Hey, check out all these cool new Jedi's!" at least in this first film? I'm not saying there can't be Jedi, just maybe these 3 films will watch the development of that. In this Ep. 7, how much more interesting to be presented with a Galeaxy far, far away where the Jedi are still all but extinct despite their apparent victory?

I'm all for disregarding what Lucas has said in interviews over the years. The man hasn't been consistent in his statements, so I see no reason to let his garbled messages hem in the storytelling for the new films.

I do think it'd be interesting to have the Jedi be basically still absent from the galaxy, but I kinda doubt they'll go in that direction. If it was, oh, 10 years after Endor, ok, I could see it. But 35 years? And STILL no Jedi? That I find hard to believe.

1. How much of the movie disregards or completely conflicts with the previous movies. JJ showed in Star Trek that cannon does not matter to him.

To be fair, JJ's Trek was set in alternate timeline specifically so that they don't have to worry about canon (note, it's canon with one N, which is totally different from a cannon) and would be able to establish their own, new canon. What he and his writer's did screw up was in changing things that would have happened before the split in the timeline but in general there was no blatant disregard for canon. Besides, it's not like the writer's on TNG, DS9, Voyager, & Enterprise didn't totally botch established canon all the time over the course of their respective shows.

In regards to the whole lens flare thing... it never really bothered me in Trek... just saw it as a stylistic choice. PEople just got all bothered because it's not used in other Trek.

But it's not like JJ blinded everyone with lens flare in Mission Impossible 3 or Super 8.

And really, I just watched Blade Runner for the first time a couple weeks ago. That movie was all Lens Flare cutting through smoke. They did a whole segment about their use of lens flare in the documentary. When they mentioned making a sequel, I didn't hear people complaining "Oh... Great. Here comes 'Smoke Runner 2: Lensflare Boogaloo'".

Star Wars was lightning in a bottle. The Empire Strikes Back was lightning captured in that same bottle. Return of the Jedi was the bottle tipping over.
The Phantom Menace was the tornado that blew the bottle around until no one knew where it was. Attack of the Clones found the bottle and smashed it. Revenge of the Sith was the FEMA trailer parked on the remains of the bottle.
Episode 7 is a plaque stating " In memory of a bottle which held lightning. "

BWAHAHA!

Now the real question is: will Frank Oz join the cast? ;)

Ok I googled and still...... what the hell is a momtor??! :wacko

I think she is implying that she could be the Mother of the young cast as opposed to mentor. Also she might be referring to her role in the film which may be as a mother.

2. How much lens flare will be present. Will I need sunglasses for light saber battles?

Sent from my Etch A Sketch.

Ha ha, never heard those points before. Good thinking.

Head back to page 85, I think you missed the JJ bash.

I'll admit that one of the things that will be difficult with this new trilogy will be "unlearning" what we have learned from the EU stuff, at least in terms of general ideas like Luke setting up (or not setting up) a new Jedi order of some sort, or Leia and Han not being married with kids (or at least A kid), Leia not being a politician, etc.

On the one hand, I'm delighted that the future of the Star Wars universe (and the "past" between Endor and Ep. VII) is a blank page. But on the other...they do have a bit of work to do if they want to show things like "Luke didn't revive the Jedi," or "Leia didn't get into politics" or "Leia and Han didn't get married" or whathaveyou.

I'll admit that one of the things that will be difficult with this new trilogy will be "unlearning" what we have learned from the EU stuff, at least in terms of general ideas like Luke setting up (or not setting up) a new Jedi order of some sort, or Leia and Han not being married with kids (or at least A kid), Leia not being a politician, etc.

On the one hand, I'm delighted that the future of the Star Wars universe (and the "past" between Endor and Ep. VII) is a blank page. But on the other...they do have a bit of work to do if they want to show things like "Luke didn't revive the Jedi," or "Leia didn't get into politics" or "Leia and Han didn't get married" or whathaveyou.

The briefest of exposition could do that but I hope they do it through the action of the characters as opposed to a talkie scene.

The briefest of exposition could do that but I hope they do it through the action of the characters as opposed to a talkie scene.

That's kind of the issue, though. The exposition would have to be brief, lest it slow the film down, at least if it's dialogue.

At one point, while mulling over the PT, I was thinking about what you could do if you simply cut out Episode 1 and all pertinent details would be mentioned or acted upon as exposition in Ep. II (now renumbered Ep. I). I thought about Obi-Wan and Anakin talking about his relationship with Padme in the elevator ride up to see her, and how you basically could skip the need for TPM by simply saying "Well, there was that time we rescued her people from enslavement by the droid army..." or "You've shown a particular interest in her ever since we found you on Tatooine while saving her people..." or whathaveyou, but it seemed kind of a ham-fisted way to get that info across. Better to drop hints to it throughout the film, organically, that gradually reveal the backstory.

One thing I hope they DON'T do is "rely" on some external source (books, comics, whatever) to explain away stuff that appears to be an inconsistency on-screen.

That's kind of the issue, though. The exposition would have to be brief, lest it slow the film down, at least if it's dialogue.

At one point, while mulling over the PT, I was thinking about what you could do if you simply cut out Episode 1 and all pertinent details would be mentioned or acted upon as exposition in Ep. II (now renumbered Ep. I). I thought about Obi-Wan and Anakin talking about his relationship with Padme in the elevator ride up to see her, and how you basically could skip the need for TPM by simply saying "Well, there was that time we rescued her people from enslavement by the droid army..." or "You've shown a particular interest in her ever since we found you on Tatooine while saving her people..." or whathaveyou, but it seemed kind of a ham-fisted way to get that info across. Better to drop hints to it throughout the film, organically, that gradually reveal the backstory.

One thing I hope they DON'T do is "rely" on some external source (books, comics, whatever) to explain away stuff that appears to be an inconsistency on-screen.

That ship has sailed. :)

That ship has sailed. :)

If you mean fixing the PT, then yeah, obviously.

But if you mean the thing re: relying on external material, they may have nuked the existing EU, but that doesn't mean they can't do a tie-in product the way they did with Trek 09. That's what I'm talking about.

Fair enough but I think that the absence of Sith is not really balance. Ying and yang. I think anytime you create an "Order" you create a dogma and bureaucracy that leads to decay. Isn't that way more interesting a path for JJ to go down then, "Hey, check out all these cool new Jedi's!" at least in this first film? I'm not saying there can't be Jedi, just maybe these 3 films will watch the development of that. In this Ep. 7, how much more interesting to be presented with a Galeaxy far, far away where the Jedi are still all but extinct despite their apparent victory?

You have to remember though that it's a Jedi prophecy. So they believe for the Force to be in balance, the Dark Side has no influence.

I could see if Luke was rebuilding, but the Jedi are still laying low. I doubt the Rebellion was keeping the fact that they had a Jedi on their side secret. It would be a major recruiting tool. So it might be well known that they're back.

Solo4114 said:

I don't think it will be that hard unless the new movies are just awful. At least for me, there are only a few book series I really liked. I'm fine with them getting rid of the majority of the storylines since we knew it was always a possibility. Hopefully some of the good characters can still survive if they were around pre-ROTJ.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back