Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

My favorite thing about all this Episode 7 hype is that Mark is getting in the spotlight again. He's such a good guy, and has had a much bigger career post Star Wars than most people even know about. A lot of people think he was Luke and then fell off the planet.

For him to get to step back onto the big screen in such a large roll again, is just awesome. I hope he owns this flick.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. If Ford gets more screen time than him, it will be a waste. I've never met Mark but he does seem to be a really good guy, and a true fan. Remember before he even auditioned for Star Wars he was asking if his agent could get him on set--just to see how the sci fi stuff was done.

Honestly, with the exception of Mark, I hope the older characters really don't appear much in the films. The droids might be acceptable, but pretty much everyone else should be background players or even cameos. I'm not interested in watching them try to play at being action heroes. Government officials, generals, people in the rear echelon. That's what these guys are now. The only one of them who should really be mixing it up would be Luke.

Honestly, with the exception of Mark, I hope the older characters really don't appear much in the films. The droids might be acceptable, but pretty much everyone else should be background players or even cameos. I'm not interested in watching them try to play at being action heroes. Government officials, generals, people in the rear echelon. That's what these guys are now. The only one of them who should really be mixing it up would be Luke.

I think you may be disappointed with the movie in that case, because I very much doubt Harrison Ford would agree to do the movie if all he had was a cameo. And if reports are to be believed* he's going to be a major player in ep VII. Maybe you'll get lucky with VIII or IX and he'll be more of a supporting character. That is if he doesn't die in VII, which you've said you don't want either.

* I don't put much stock in rumors or internet "reports" so I don't necessarily believe it, I'm just saying.

I think you may be disappointed with the movie in that case, because I very much doubt Harrison Ford would agree to do the movie if all he had was a cameo. And if reports are to be believed* he's going to be a major player in ep VII. Maybe you'll get lucky with VIII or IX and he'll be more of a supporting character. That is if he doesn't die in VII, which you've said you don't want either.

* I don't put much stock in rumors or internet "reports" so I don't necessarily believe it, I'm just saying.

Well, when you combine those rumors, the theory that Harrison won't show up to just smile and wave, and his proximity to JJ at the table read, I bet dollars to donuts he does feature prominently in this film along with his daughter, who I think is our new series lead. And I think his demise may be in the cards as the catalyst to bring Luke back from his self imposed exile on Tatooine, where he has disappeared into obscurity to allow the Force to regain balance. Or I have no idea. :)

Last edited:

If Luke didn't rebuild the Jedi then this trilogy will be dumber than the Prequels. He may go a totally different direction in rebuilding the order, but it would make no sense if he just went out in the desert.

If Luke didn't rebuild the Jedi then this trilogy will be dumber than the Prequels. He may go a totally different direction in rebuilding the order, but it would make no sense if he just went out in the desert.

Really? Can you name one thing Luke did in the OT that was part of the Jedi Order in the PT? Every decision he made was based on love and attachment. The Jedi Order was a flawed concept that gave rise to the imbalance in the Force and the rise of the Sith. Luke is a Jedi, but his idea of what a Jedi is and should be is diametrically opposed to what Yoda and Obi-wan tried to achieve. If the Force is an holistic part of nature, how can it be in balance when there are a few 1000 Jedi running around using i to maintain order. even under the guise of peacekeepers. Think about it.

I think if Luke started to rebuild the Jedi as more of a "religion", like they described it in the OT rather than a group that holds political power like in the PT, it could work.

Remember one of Yoda's last words to Luke was to pass on what he has learned. One can assume he would begin a new Jedi order, but based on his training, which was unconventional.

I'm both delighted and, I confess, kind of sad knowing George Lucas wasn't in that table read photo...
It does make me wonder if Lucas has mixed feelings about selling off the franchise he created and built, or if he's just happy to be done with the whole thing.

Super excited to see Andy Serkis on the list. Max Von Sydow is icing on the cake, I'm a big fan of his as well.

"[Episodes VII, VIII and IX deal with] the rebuilding of the Republic [and] the necessity for moral choices and the wisdom needed to distinguish right from wrong. If the first trilogy is social and political and talks about how society evolves, Star Wars is more about personal growth and self-realization, and the third deals with moral and philosophical problems. In Star Wars there is a very clear line drawn between good and evil. Eventually you have to face the fact that good and evil aren’t that clear cut, and the real issue is trying to understand the difference. The sequel is about Jedi Knighthood, justice, confrontation, and passing on what you have learned."
George Lucas, 1983

Last edited:

Order of the Jedi?????

Sigh......"yes,hi, New Jedi Council here.......we'll have 6 large Papanoida pepperoni, 2 Correlia Chilli Cheese Steaks, 4 Ham Solo burger's with cheese.....and a diet blue milk......" (thus completes the order of the Jedi....)

Rich

I'd be quite happy to see a new Jedi order, but I don't want the Jedi to be a baby snatching cult religion like they were in the prequels again!

10269645_837910292889827_8063255488773021699_n.jpg

Remember one of Yoda's last words to Luke was to pass on what he has learned. One can assume he would begin a new Jedi order, but based on his training, which was unconventional.

I think he will, with the catalyst being Han's dearth, but he won't rebuild the Order. I think he would teach Jedi to be lone agents of the Force, wandering the Galaxy…like Kane in Kung-fu. No more temples and such.

The key issue for me for the New trilogy after ROTJ would be what effect the ability to now see and communicate with “force ghosts” have on the redevelopment of the Jedi order.
After all Yoda did tell Luke to pass on what he had learned but we also had Obi wan appearing from beyond the grave to give Luke advice at key moments through out the entire series, so one imagines others can do so now at will. Obi chooses to influence Luke by becoming “more powerful“ than Vader could ever possibly imagine by crossing over (but from where exactly?) and it appeared to me that this power was a new one to the Jedi ,one that only he had discovered after years of mediation in isolation in the deserts of Tatooine.
Its never explained at all in the OT films, the bodies just simply vanish , but this new ability to “resurrect” a simulacrum seemed "just" discovered and must have been the task Yoda set Obi wan (who then presumably taught Yoda how to do it afterward in TESB so he could “survive” death in ROTJ) at the end of SWIII. But how does it work??? Its going to be hugely influential I feel.
In ROTJ Yoda appears as does Anakin at the end (all sparkly glowie!!), and the feeling I got from that conclusion was that “the balance” had been restored to the Force by Vader’s self sacrifice. Only Luke could see them at that point, but presumably other force sensitive’s in the future would also be open to lines of communication to ex-masters.But how many exactly and just who?
Obviously free advice from beyond the grave is immensely handy to have, but it’s also a potentially massive spoiler for story and must be quite difficult to handle and explain away in a script. I hope they clear up something of the mess that was left (at least for me) about what the hell it was all about.
And it must be have been absolutely pivotal to the “philosophical ” nature that Lucas has hinted at for his last set of films years ago, but given the random nose blowing effect of midicholorian infection rates that apparently cause people to become Jedi or not in the prequels ,perhaps not.
So I guess Yoda could make an appearance in the new trilogy, and in theory both Ewans Obi wan and Hayden’s Vader as well. I don’t doubt that the New Republic will have reformed and the Jedi will have been re established in sufficiently large numbers to support them, its been nearly thirty five years after all, and whether the Imperial navy is now a Republican “policing” force once again would seem a good thing, though I ‘ll leave that to debate , but there is an awfull lot to play with here.
The age groups of the new comers would suggest a re establsihed Jedi order, remembering on a reading that these are key characters to the script not supporting actors, and if they are keeping a tight lid on the story, only those essential to the story were likely to get a first look at it so early on.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back