Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I can say that if it's as entertaining as I found Star Trek 09, then I'd be happy with that.

Then don't be so pedantic. What you consider timidity and lack of vision others consider to be the story they are most enthused to see. The problem with your argument is that it assumes seeing a continuation of the stories already told is universally undesirable, it is not. It is the most logic direction to take this recently acquired film franchise from a business standpoint, one which I make my career analyzing. It's important to ground these stories in the original six films as a gateway for both previous and new fans to to the franchise. Your welcome to complain about it all you like, though it will not alter the outcome. :behave

Logical from a business perspective? Sure. And that's what's wrong with Hollywood today. Too much focus on the business side, not enough on the storytelling. And too many people afraid to take a risk.

It's also timid and myopic to assume that the only way to ground these films in the originals is to trot out the old warhorses and have them wheeze across the screen. "Branding" overriding storytelling as usual. Look, maybe they'll do it well and I'll be pleasantly surprised. But most of the time, I find "branded" movies to be crap and likely the product of some unimaginative bean-counter than anyone who has a clue how to tell a good story.

I think a lot of it comes down to fan hype and expectation.

NOTHING, and I mean ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, will ever come close to the success or generation shifting magic that was the first Star Wars trilogy. Films are so much a product of their time, and those films as much as they are timeless, are also very much tied to the era in which they were made and released. They say so much about what films could be, and that potential is one of the things that we love so much about them.

As far as the new trilogy being tied with 1-6, I think it's pretty obvious that they will be directly linked. If you wanted to get completely blunt about it, Episode 4: A New Hope was the only film that needed to be made. It was a complete story. Anything else, and I mean anything else, was simply a sequel.

I think that the only realistic expectation any fan should have for what's to come is to just be open. We can't go into the theater expecting to be blown away the way we first were as kids. That alone will utterly guarantee that we'll be let down. As amazing as our age of internet and high speed connectivity is, perhaps one of the BEST ways that they could try and recapture some of the magic would be to keep the production under an airtight wrap. Imagine going in with absolutely no clue about it. Even those who try and keep spoiler free for movies risk having the beans spilled by hearing something in public. What if NO ONE outside the production knew a thing? How amazing would that be?

I don't disagree, actually. I don't expect to be blown away like I was when I was 5. My point is more that there is another way. It won't be taken, but it does exist. People don't seem to realize it, though. I would've expected after years of remakes, reimaginings, the prequels, KOTCs, etc., that people would have learned that you can't go home, so maybe it's time to stop trying and build new homes.

I think you can tell a new story with new characters and still have it firmly connected to the originals, and still be awesome. I just don't trust anyone in Hollywood to actually be able to do that.

I agree wholeheartedly that new content would be great and I feel that there is a very high likelihood we will get it. Disney is going to monetize the franchise as much as possible. I don't disagree with what you are saying Dan, your just saying it in the wrong thread! This thread is about Ep.VII specifically as opposed to the other proposed/rumored standalone films. Arguing for new content would be more germane there.

I think a lot of it comes down to fan hype and expectation.

I'm going into Episode VII and beyond with no expectation but to be entertained - nothing more, nothing less. I shut my brain off and hope/want to have FUN! I don't want to be bombarded with political statements or ideology. I want a roller coaster of emotions and excitement and come out of the theater both thrilled and exhausted...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :)

Can you imagine the marketing Disney is going to put into Episode VII? You wont be able to open your eyes outside your home without learning something about the movie. I'm looking forward to it myself.

Better stay away from fast food, soda, signs of any kinds, video screens of any kind, anyone selling or wearing a t-shirt, and toys.

Fast food & soda no prob. Toys no prob. Signs, video, etc. a bit more of an issue.

I just don't want to know exactly what I'm going to see before I see it. I managed to achieve that with the PT so I'll bet I can do it again. If I see a character on someone's shirt that's fine but I don't want any "real" spoilers.

I'll keep myself in as much of a media blackout as possible. I managed to do this quite successfully for ROTS. Mostly this is because I almost never watch TV with commercials anymore, or at least commercials that I can't fast-forward through. I don't search for news other than the occasional bit of casting info (which is mostly where my dour outlook on Ep. VII comes from -- casting Ford, if that's actually true, which I'm still not entirely convinced of). I try to even avoid knowing what stuff looks like before I go in and I DAMN sure don't watch trailers.

It can be done. It's not easy, but it can be done.

And NMR, you bring up a good point -- if the prequels didn't kill the franchise....I'd say it's pretty much bulletproof now, at least as a going business concern. Part of my concern is that Disney will get cold feet after dumping a bunch of cash into a new trilogy if it under-performs and then we'll get nothing like the spin-off projects (which are far more interesting to me). Thus, we'll just end up with another lackluster trilogy and....that'll be it. I think we're finally getting to a point where the Star Wars franchise can do a lot more than just focus on the boring-ass prequel era (which seems to be about all that gets made these days) and move on to bigger and better and less kiddie-centric things.

This might have been discussed... But... what do you guys think of a Han Solo stand alone film? They might base them off of the time prior to EP IV during his time with the Imperial Navy or between IV and V dealing with his run in with a bounty hunter at Ord Mandell (sp)

The more I think about it... the more I think it might work. Question: Who will play HS?

As if Lucas didn't ***** the brand!

I saw the Sith (Red) candy canes and the Jedi (blue) candy canes last winter on the shelves.

The Star Wars rubber duckies?

Light saber chop sticks.

Ice cube trays.

Taun taun sleeping back.

etc.
I don't know how a SW fan could resist this..
"Your Little Taun-taun will freeze before you reach the school parking lot"
'Then I'll see you in hell!" :lol
star-wars-episode-vii-swtauntaun-sleepingbag.jpg-144660d1361308911

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back