Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I don't doubt that Samuel L. Jackson is a huge fan of the series. It wasn't his fault the scripts were terrible. I don't care how amazing of an actor you are, NO ONE could make that dialog sound any better.

You guys really need to watch the Clone Wars. That is informing the opinion of Anakin for an entire new generation if fans and in the series he is truly a hero...Shame, I think it's terrific. And it's pretty much G-level canon so it does matter, less then the films but more then the EU. Anakin is portrayed as a true hero of the Republic as well as someone with compassion and love for his friends but conflicted by the larger impact and ramifications of the Clone War. He becomes a fully realized character with a lot of depth, something the prequels never showed.
And that, in my opinion, is the biggest "problem" with the Prequel Trilogy. In Star Wars Obi-Wan/Ben describes Anakin as a "cunning warrior" and a "good friend", but we see little or no evidence of either in the PT. He appears to be capable with a lightsaber, but otherwise he's just whiny, impulsive, and immature. It's a shame we have to watch The Clone Wars to get the information that should have been in the Prequel Trilogy.

Where they DID do well though is cultivating the relationship (at least compared to the OT). Anakin was befriended by Palpatine whereas the Jedi order (with the exception of Obi-Wan) was very distant and judgemental of him.

Don't get me wrong, he's still a whiney brat, but there was definitely more lead up to it than the one trick. There was even the moment of "who's the real bad guy" when Mace wanted to kill Palpatine right there and Anakin insisted on a due process.

Not a huge fan but you can tell there was at least some thought there.
I hadn't put much thought into it but, after reading this, I have to agree. By Revenge of the Sith Palpatine/Sideous clearly had more influence over Anakin than the Jedi, who in many ways left Anakin feeling unwelcome.

K, not sure where the end of that was going, but if their primary exposure to Anakin is CW (which it is, if for no other reason than there's a hell of a lot more Anakin than in the PT) he's not. He's cunning, given to brilliant insights, a bit of a rogue, powerful, cares deeply about his friends (which worls for him and against him as a tragic flaw), and is a superb warrior. He's everything he SHOULD have been in the movies. Oh, and thanks for the :darnkidstrying to paint all those "darn kids today on your lawn" as whining spoiled brats, totally not like in your day.

Actually, those facts came straight out of an international study that was released earlier this year. I know that facts are another phenomenon in many places, certainly in the U.S., that are readily ignored and discarded in deference to "belief". But, as they say, the facts are the facts. They do all the "painting". They don't need any help from me.

And you're right. Every generation has said the same of the younger generations because it was true. Little by little there has been a steady degredation, kind of like the spread of cancer, of the quality of people we produce. It has conintually worsened from one generation to the next. But, there has been a rocket-propelled acceleration of the downward spiral, at least in the U.S., over the past 40 years or so. People can and do
argue with that. But it's always in denial of a fact-based reality. They can also argue that the world is flat. Doesn't make it so. It is what it is.

Actually, those facts came straight out of an international study that was released earlier this year. I know that facts are another phenomenon in many places, certainly in the U.S., that are readily ignored and discarded in deference to "belief". But, as they say, the facts are the facts. They do all the "painting". They don't need any help from me.

And you're right. Every generation has said the same of the younger generations because it was true. Little by little there has been a steady degredation, kind of like the spread of cancer, of the quality of people we produce. It has conintually worsened from one generation to the next. But, there has been a rocket-propelled acceleration of the downward spiral, at least in the U.S., over the past 40 years or so. People can and do
argue with that. But it's always in denial of a fact-based reality. They can also argue that the world is flat. Doesn't make it so. It is what it is.

"Yes, every generation has said the same thing since the beginning of recorded history, but my generation is right!"

Where are the unbiased facts that support this? Polls that account for all possible factors and influence, which sample an undeniable percentage of the population in an effort to determine the quality of our offspring? It's an impossible measurement - it's opinion by it's nature.

By studying human history, through reading the stories of ancient civilizations and relatively recent ones, it's very clear that human nature is human nature and we continue to exist in about the same measures of kindness, ambition, arrogance, ego, hubris, and aggression.

Societal values change, and our inflexibility leads each generation to claim that the attitudes of the next will be the end of civilization. Abolishing slaveryresses above the knees didn't do it, neither did swing music or rock and roll, nor did women's suffrage, nor the Civil Rights movement, nor did heavy metal or grunge, nor will gay marriage or reality TV. Well, maybe reality TV...

I don't know if you have kids, but I know mine (and many of their friends) are better people than I. I see more to like in their generation than in mine or the generation before me. They're more tolerant and accepting; they're more articulate at an earlier age; they have the tools to explore so many interests more thoroughly than anyone before them and will likely produce more exceptional talents and successes by working with them from such an early age.

We hear about war and violence and terror more than ever before due to our increasingly connected world, but statistically violence of all kinds is on the decline. That's gotta count for something, and is actually a measurable fact which I'll give our generation and the next some credit for.

Once you slaughter a school full of Jedi younglings, I don't think you can come back from that. Sure, maybe you can reach a point where you understand just how horrible a thing you have done, and experience true regret and sorrow, but I don't think there is anything you could do to ever be considered "good" again.

That part of the prequels really ruined Vader for me. That is not an evil villain, that is sick.

Once you slaughter a school full of Jedi younglings, I don't think you can come back from that. Sure, maybe you can reach a point where you understand just how horrible a thing you have done, and experience true regret and sorrow, but I don't think there is anything you could do to ever be considered "good" again.

That part of the prequels really ruined Vader for me. That is not an evil villain, that is sick.

I agree. to have Vader end it all in RofJ to save luke and somewhat redeem himself was just enough. he was still evil vader that turned to the dark side and killed many and genocide... Yoda and Obiwan certainly didn't need to help or gift him with being able to return from the netherworld as a force ghost. let him rest and thank Luke for using vader as a tool as a means to the end. We sholuld never have felt any sympathy for Vader other than maybe that he was betrayed, tricked and enslaved... but Anakin still chose to do what he did... if he was a great Jedi then he would have sacrificed himself and tried to destroy Palpatine much sooner than he did. He was so close to palpy... even if he knew he couldnt' overpower and destroy sidious he would have at least died trying.

I don't doubt that Samuel L. Jackson is a huge fan of the series. It wasn't his fault the scripts were terrible. I don't care how amazing of an actor you are, NO ONE could make that dialog sound any better.

In this case the scripts had little to nothing to do with it; Sam Jackson simply was wrong for the part and George Lucas's reluctance to say "no" to his request to be in the movie created trouble. Sam Jackson is better at playing somebody from the 'hood, not a Jedi Knight. The dialog involved in that kind of character just sounded wayyyy too funny coming out of his mouth...

In this case the scripts had little to nothing to do with it; Sam Jackson simply was wrong for the part and George Lucas's reluctance to say "no" to his request to be in the movie created trouble. Sam Jackson is better at playing somebody from the 'hood, not a Jedi Knight. The dialog involved in that kind of character just sounded wayyyy too funny coming out of his mouth...

Jackson would have been better as a Sith! :lol

Anakin won't be given the rank of Master in ROTS, and yet they give him an apprentice only a few years before that during the Clone Wars? How does that make any sense at all? What does the rank of Master even mean then?

This goes by the assumption that what you think a Jedi Master is supposed to be is exactly what they were intended to be. But the fact is you just don't really know cuz they didn't specifically say in the movies. Now the Clone Wars is explaining that you don't have to be a Master to train an apprentice.

What does the rank of Master even mean then?

Master would be an honorary title meaning that you have become a master of the Force, not necessarily a Master to an apprentice.

That's damn near racist.

I can't stand Samuel L Jackson. I think he is a terrible actor that can only play one role. There is a reason i call him the "the angry Black man". All he ever plays is a guy that is mad n upset. I'm sick of him all together as a person n actor. He thinks he is the greatest actor of ages. I can't believed that he thinks he should have been up for an Oscar for playing the guy in D'jango. What ya do? You was in it for 20 minutes and played a angry black dude..that really acted like uncle Ruckus from the boondocks cartoon. Sorry dude, you're not special and will always be tight casted as a angry black dude in movies. Sorry, but at least you're getting paid well.

That's just my thoughts on him.

See that's the thing though, if they had better defined what it meant to be a Jedi master, then sure, Anakin having an apprentice would have made sense. I guess it would have worked for the cartoon. I don't know.

No one could have made the Mace Windu character any good. He simply wasn't a well written character. That was my point. It had nothing to do with Samuel L. Jackson. ANYONE could have taken that role, and it still would have sucked. I think he's a talented actor, but even his screen presence couldn't make that part interesting.

I have more issue with the writing of the PT. There were no dynamic characters that really stood out. Sure the designs were great, and I loved the costumes and props, but the story just plain blew.

See that's the thing though, if they had better defined what it meant to be a Jedi master, then sure, Anakin having an apprentice would have made sense. I guess it would have worked for the cartoon. I don't know.

No one could have made the Mace Windu character any good. He simply wasn't a well written character. That was my point. It had nothing to do with Samuel L. Jackson. ANYONE could have taken that role, and it still would have sucked. I think he's a talented actor, but even his screen presence couldn't make that part interesting.

I have more issue with the writing of the PT. There were no dynamic characters that really stood out. Sure the designs were great, and I loved the costumes and props, but the story just plain blew.

exactly... the characters were dull and lifeless. in New Hope Han and Leia were fire and spunky! Luke at least had a sense of wonder and amazement and Obi Wan was even sly and daring creeping around the cantina looking for a pirate and cutting an arm off. The PT characters needed a little more oomph.

exactly... the characters were dull and lifeless. in New Hope Han and Leia were fire and spunky! Luke at least had a sense of wonder and amazement and Obi Wan was even sly and daring creeping around the cantina looking for a pirate and cutting an arm off. The PT characters needed a little more oomph.

It's interesting that you bring this up. I actually think a big part of this problem was the issue that the PT tried to over-explain alot of things.

Just look at the character of Jango Fett. Just like Boba Fett in so many ways, but...we see his face. We hear him talk. We know where he lives. We know what he does. We know what his goal in life is. We know what type of person he is. If you read the comic about him you know what his past is like too. We know pretty much everything about him ever.
And in the process, this actually makes Boba a lot less interesting himself, since now we see where he came from. Boring...

To make a really good set of characters, you need to find a perfect balance of giving them enough of a background and personality (i.e. Han and Leia) without explaining things too deeply (Jango Fett).

Qui-Gon had absolutely no substance whatsoever, whereas Anakin had too much baggage and backstory. Jango Fett was too overdone, whereas General Grevious almost seemed like an afterthought, with little attention to his existence at all. Count Dooku was fairly well set up as far as information goes but had such little importance in the story itself that we quickly forget about him.

Obi-Wan at least approaches something that I would consider interesting. We know enough of his history that we care about him, but not enough (excluding the books) to make him boring. Unfortunately, this premise falls short because his writing is so dry and robot-like that he may as well have been shot in black and white.

The only character that remains truly intriguing is Palpatine.

That and the fact that he's the only character with a clear motivation.

I think what you're referring to is that the peripheral characters were too far developed, playing a larger role in the story than was necessary, where major characters weren't developed enough so that we knew why they acted the way they did.

Luke wanted to get off the farm and have an adventure.
Leia wanted to make sure the Death Star plans made it to the rebels.
Han wanted to pay off his debt to Jabba, but was ultimately caught up helping the rebel cause.
Obi-Wan wanted to train Luke to become a Jedi with the hope that Luke would ultimately defeat Vader.

All examples of clear character motivations.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back