Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Yes, it's MY opinion that Star Trek 2009 is better than the prequels just as much as it's their opinion that it sucked. There is no fact when it comes to movie reviews, it's ultimately all a matter of opinion.

There is no flat out scientific way to prove a movie is good or bad. All art is subjective.

However the closest we have to determining a films worth is by taking into account its popularity among the general movie going masses, the box office numbers, and the so called "proffessiona" critic reviews.
Occasionally a film will come along that makes good box office numbers, but fails with critics.
Sometimes a film comes along that does great with critics but fails in box office numbers.

And sometimes a film comes along that is successful across all the demographics, with the majority of critics, movie goers, and box office numbers.

Star Trek 09 managed to do well in all of these categories, so it's really hard to claim that Trek sucked when there's little evidence to prove this.
Consensus is always determined by majority opinion, not minority opinion.

Star Trek 09 managed to do well in all of these categories, so it's really hard to claim that Trek sucked when there's little evidence to prove this.
Just to clarify, Brent M was responding to my comment in post #2163 in which I stated I know people who "loathe the 2009 movie as much as many Star Wars fans hate the Prequel Trilogy." His stated opinion is that Star Trek '09 was a better movie than any of those in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy, not that it "sucked".

I personally loved the 2009 Star Trek. I'm not a particularly big fan of the franchise, but I am a fan, so I suppose that I am far enough removed from it that I can say that I didn't have any qualms about them changing things around.

I think they did the best they could by bringing in a whole new group of fans, but not destroying the existing canon for the hardcore fans. The whole alternate universe/ time line was likely the best way to accomplish both ends. Rather than call it Star Trek 8 (or whatever episodic number would come next) they simply changed the title to Star Trek. My personal opinion is that it gets a lot more flack than it deserves considering that the characters and story were compelling enough to hold my interest. I was actually rooting for the heroes and I cared about them. Something I couldn't even think about saying for any one of the characters in the prequels. In Star Trek they felt like real people.

Chris Pine has said many many times since the film came out that he based his version of Kirk on Han Solo, and seeing how big a fan J J Abrams is of Star Wars, I'm sure those two influences played a major role in how Star Trek 09 played out.

As hesitant as I was when I first heard the news of who was to direct Star Wars 7, the more I think about it, the more excited I am. I think he'll do a great job with it. Provided the script is strong, it will work.

Provided the script is strong, it will work.

Star Wars has proven that it doesn't need a good script. Just a basic adventure story and strong characters. :):thumbsup

The PT was disappointing in both regards and I think JJ realizes that.

Good script doesn't hurt though!

need I say more?... :p
8422150549_814d5fa8ed.jpg

TPM has a lot less "baggage". Honestly, if it hadn't been for Jar Jar it could have been passable I think. Certainly not great by any means though. Maul and the pod race by themselves elevate it over AOTC.

AOTC on the other hand I can watch in 10 mins. The Clones advancing against the Droid army, the three seconds when Anakin has two lightsabers, and then when Palpatine is overlooking the troops and the Imperial theme blares.

The rest? Blah.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I have always thought AOTC was the worst of the PT.

I would much rather watch TPM twice in a row than have to watch any of the awkward romantic dialogue between Anakin and Padme in AOTC.

It's like asking if you want to get shot in the face with a .357 Magnum or a Shotgun. Neither is a great choice. In TPM you have the 1-2 punch of whiny Jake Lloyd and the most annoying character in cinema history Jar Jar while AOTC has the cringe-worthy dialogue scenes between Anakin and Padme. The only good thing is that there are less of those excruciating scenes in AOTC than there are in TPM and at least AOTC has the speeder chase through Coruscant, the fight between Jango and Obi-Wan on Geonosis, the chase through the asteroid field and the final 30 minutes which is nothing but action. As I said before, take the Pod Race and Darth Maul out of TPM and it's one of the worst movies in a long time.

... at least AOTC has the speeder chase through Coruscant, the fight between Jango and Obi-Wan on Geonosis, the chase through the asteroid field and the final 30 minutes which is nothing but action.
Those are some of the lamest, crappiest, boring, crappiest scenes from that movie. And yes, I said "crappiest" twice.

I want to see real sets in the new movie, but I could live without the puppets, The most painful thing to see in TPM is that Yoda abomination! (well, maybe that "are you an angel?" scene) :lol The best part of AOTC or ROTS is Digi Yoda! :) When I see that pod race I always feel like its NASCAR! I can only handle watching the fight scenes with Liam in that movie. AOTC is pretty much only watchable when Saru....er...Dooku is on sceen. If you want to see puppets watch SWRC, for entertainment they all beat the prequals hands down :lol PLEASE, keep the pod racing, puppets (and pod-racing puppets) and kids that can't act out of the next movie!

Star Wars Episode VII

OK, on my morning travels today I heard a radio station talking about all the craziness surrounding E7. In their talks one host mentions that Hamill has stated he's been given a strick diet and will sport a beard. Can anyone confirm this? If true, I have hope.

Reel

OK, on my morning travels today I heard a radio station talking about all the craziness surrounding E7. In their talks one host mentions that Hamill has stated he's been given a strick diet and will sport a beard. Can anyone confirm this? If true, I have hope.

Reel

Unless J.J., Mark Hamill himself or Kathleen Kennedy says it outright, I would take any "news" you hear as conjecture/rumor.

The love story between Anakin & Padme is just painful to watch.

Love story? I thought it looked more like she was forced to kiss her little brother. There was no chemistry between either of them, the dialoge felt like it came from a 14 year olds journal and all in all wasn't believable in the least.

Agreed how painful it was to watch. Until the skip button :lol

AOTC on the other hand I can watch in 10 mins. The Clones advancing against the Droid army, the three seconds when Anakin has two lightsabers, and then when Palpatine is overlooking the troops and the Imperial theme blares.

I can do you one better. I can watch AOTC in about 2 minutes. The only scene I really care about is the sonic mines. And even then, I don't really need to *watch* it... just crank up the stereo, enjoy the sound, then done. :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back