Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I thought the exact same thing when I saw Star Trek in 2009. It made me sad that it was so much better than Lucas' prequels...
"Better" is a matter of perspective and opinion. I know quite a few Star Trek fans that loathe the 2009 movie as much as many Star Wars fans hate the Prequel Trilogy.

"Better" is a matter of perspective and opinion. I know quite a few Star Trek fans that loathe the 2009 movie as much as many Star Wars fans hate the Prequel Trilogy.

Yes, it's MY opinion that Star Trek 2009 is better than the prequels just as much as it's their opinion that it sucked. There is no fact when it comes to movie reviews, it's ultimately all a matter of opinion.

...There is no fact when it comes to movie reviews, it's ultimately all a matter of opinion.
Most "professional" movie critics would disagree with this, but I agree completely.

As a self-proclaimed fan of both franchises, I enjoy both the 2009 Star Trek movie and the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy movies for what they are, but I can't say I really love or hate any of them. That's only my opinion, of course, and I don't expect anyone to share it. :cool

I enjoyed the new Star Trek movie a lot on the first couple of viewings. However on laterviewings it seems really breathlessly in love with itself and that is kinda overbearing.

I rewatched AOTC this weekend as a bit of a refresher on the prequels. MY GOD it sucks. Rubbish pacing, awful acting, terrible character animation (CG Threepio and all the riders on the animals especially), laughable virtual sets, truly, truly dreadful amateur Jedis....boy it is horrible. The ONLY good part is the clone assault on the trade federation ships.

I enjoyed the new Star Trek movie a lot on the first couple of viewings. However on laterviewings it seems really breathlessly in love with itself and that is kinda overbearing.

My thoughts on Trek '09:

Well cast, good pacing, good production value. Wasn't a fan of the look of the Enterprise or the lens flares but if that was the only issue I don't think anyone could complain.

It's how they really missed the essence of Trek that bugged me. The Enterprise crew is now a bunch of cadets with Chekov as the Dougie Howser of space. They completely changed Kirk's backstory yet somehow expect us to accept the same character. In this universe he's gotten lucky once. In the original he had earned the respect and loyalty of his crew by knowing his stuff and being a stellar officer willing to take risks.

All in all, I don't hate the film but it's offenses are worse than those in ST 5 IMO. It's just not Star Trek.

This all comes from JJ's lack of knowledge of the source material. One would hope he doesn't make the same mistake with Star Wars because he's a fan.

I rewatched AOTC this weekend as a bit of a refresher on the prequels. MY GOD it sucks. Rubbish pacing, awful acting, terrible character animation (CG Threepio and all the riders on the animals especially), laughable virtual sets, truly, truly dreadful amateur Jedis....boy it is horrible. The ONLY good part is the clone assault on the trade federation ships.

AOTC is far worse than TPM in my opinion. At least TPM clips along, AOTC just drags.

I don't love AOTC by any means, but I still think it's a much more enjoyable film than TPM. Honestly, if TPM didn't have Darth Maul and the Pod Race it's pretty much one of the worst films in recent memory. The only prequel film I truly like is ROTS and it's the only one I can go back and watch now on a regular basis.

My thoughts on Trek '09:

Well cast, good pacing, good production value. Wasn't a fan of the look of the Enterprise or the lens flares but if that was the only issue I don't think anyone could complain.

It's how they really missed the essence of Trek that bugged me. The Enterprise crew is now a bunch of cadets with Chekov as the Dougie Howser of space. They completely changed Kirk's backstory yet somehow expect us to accept the same character. In this universe he's gotten lucky once. In the original he had earned the respect and loyalty of his crew by knowing his stuff and being a stellar officer willing to take risks.

All in all, I don't hate the film but it's offenses are worse than those in ST 5 IMO. It's just not Star Trek.

This all comes from JJ's lack of knowledge of the source material. One would hope he doesn't make the same mistake with Star Wars because he's a fan.

AOTC is far worse than TPM in my opinion. At least TPM clips along, AOTC just drags.

Actually, ST2009 is guilty of the worst set design in history I think - using a bleeping brewery as the engine room. Looked NOTHING like an engine room, band looked every bit a brewery. Hell, I didn't know they used a brewery and while watching the movie i thought, that looks like a brewery :)

agreed, probably one of the best remakes in years.

I'm sorry, but the only thing the remake had going for it was the production design (as the mall, which was a closed down one, looked like it was a still functioning and a modern one at that). The story and characters fell completely flat.

In fact, the writing for the DotD remake falls just as flat as the prequels to Star Wars.

Did anyone else the pseudo-story floating around this weekend that Abrams may have signed on with the caveat that 2015 is not realistic, and therefore not going to happen? If that' accurrate, my feelings about this whole thing may just have gone up a half-notch.

Did anyone else the pseudo-story floating around this weekend that Abrams may have signed on with the caveat that 2015 is not realistic, and therefore not going to happen? If that' accurrate, my feelings about this whole thing may just have gone up a half-notch.

Don't think that's true at all. Everything that has been said up to now pretty much points towards a release in May 2015. I don't see them wanting to waiver from that.

I'm sorry, but the only thing the remake had going for it was the production design (as the mall, which was a closed down one, looked like it was a still functioning and a modern one at that). The story and characters fell completely flat.

In fact, the writing for the DotD remake falls just as flat as the prequels to Star Wars.

no reason to be sorry, youre entitled to your opinion.

They both clip right along with the skip button :lol, it takes me 15 min to watch TPM and about 25 to watch AOTC :lol:popcorn

I'm not a fan of either (or ROTS to be honest) but you have to admit that TPM moves much better than AOTC. AOTC is the only Star Wars film my kids have ever fallen asleep watching.

The love story between Anakin & Padme is just painful to watch.

Actually, ST2009 is guilty of the worst set design in history I think - using a bleeping brewery as the engine room. Looked NOTHING like an engine room, band looked every bit a brewery. Hell, I didn't know they used a brewery and while watching the movie i thought, that looks like a brewery :)

While I agree engineering shouldn't look like a brewery I still think that's minor compared to the more fundamental flaws. ;)

That's why I'm cautiously optimistic about JJ because he's familiar with the source material. I'm less optimistic about Giacchino (you know it's going to happen).

I don't love AOTC by any means, but I still think it's a much more enjoyable film than TPM. Honestly, if TPM didn't have Darth Maul and the Pod Race it's pretty much one of the worst films in recent memory. The only prequel film I truly like is ROTS and it's the only one I can go back and watch now on a regular basis.

TPM has a lot less "baggage". Honestly, if it hadn't been for Jar Jar it could have been passable I think. Certainly not great by any means though. Maul and the pod race by themselves elevate it over AOTC.

AOTC on the other hand I can watch in 10 mins. The Clones advancing against the Droid army, the three seconds when Anakin has two lightsabers, and then when Palpatine is overlooking the troops and the Imperial theme blares.

The rest? Blah.

There's stuff in all the PT I guess.

I liked ROTS......until......they had anakin and obi bleeping surfing/skateboarding on bleeping LAVA! Never mind that they fought up a piece of structure that had fallen over the lava, or that they were skating, etc, i mean, seriously, they'd have been cooked simply by the heat. At best they should have been pouring sweat, etc. That I could ignore, but 'i've got the high ground'?? That's how you end an epic fight?

But like I said, you can find stuff in all of them. Stupid stuff that just takes it down a notch or several.

My thoughts on Trek '09...They completely changed Kirk's backstory yet somehow expect us to accept the same character. In this universe he's gotten lucky once. In the original he had earned the respect and loyalty of his crew by knowing his stuff and being a stellar officer willing to take risks.
This, in my opinion, is one of the worst flaws of Star Trek '09. Okay, I can understand how Kirk being raised by "whoever" rather than being raised by his father would have an effect on who he becomes as an adult. And, yes, they showed he was willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done, even if it was reckless. But they showed nothing in the way of leadership qualities that would earn the crew's respect and loyalty and make them want to follow him as their commanding officer. I'm hoping J.J. will correct this oversight in the upcoming movie.

...AOTC...The love story between Anakin & Padme is just painful to watch.
In my opinion, writing and direction aside, this is because Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman have no on-screen chemistry whatsoever. You can have so-so direction and banal dialogue, and still have a believable love story if the two actors playing those characters have that chemistry that makes you believe they belong together. Hayden and Natalie had none of that, so they could have written the steamiest love story ever and it still wouldn't have worked.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back