Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

Ah, but you have to remember...he never liked Trek, he has always been a Star Wars fan boy, so he went out to make a Star Wars style film.

But if he didn't like Trek and wanted to make Star Wars, than he should have held out and not make Trek. From what I remember reading, he approached Paramount for it after M:I-3. And, if he wanted to make Star Wars, then why did he refuse when he was first approached by Disney? If you're a fan and a filmmaker, you don't ever say no if you're approached to make a film for a franchise you're a die-hard fan of, or as Fede Alvarez best put it, "When Sam Raimi asks you Do you want to remake Evil Dead for me?, you don't go like no thank you, I don't believe in remakes."

What was the "air sequence"... :confused
The one where the clones were shooting at those control ship globes with the blue laser gun. And the troop transports in the dust storm afterward

"When Sam Raimi asks you Do you want to remake Evil Dead for me?, you don't go like no thank you, I don't believe in remakes."

Hollywood is going way overboard with remakes and reboots these days and i think it's getting ridiculous. If i were an established director and had the freedom to pick and choose what movies i make, as J.J. does, then i would absolutely say no.

The one where the clones were shooting at those control ship globes with the blue laser gun. And the troop transports in the dust storm afterward

Ahh, yes. I remember now... The Neimoidian ships that were trying to break through the Geonosian atmosphere and some didn't quite make it...

All is well people... hey it could be worst, Michael Bay could have snatch the job!!!

Actually, it can be worse. Ever heard of the Star Wars Holiday Special?

Hollywood is going way overboard with remakes and reboots these days and i think it's getting ridiculous. If i were an established director and had the freedom to pick and choose what movies i make, as J.J. does, then i would absolutely say no.

I agree with you on this. However, if you had the freedom to pick and choose movies and happen to be a fan of a film franchise like Star Wars and you're approached with the coveted role of director for another film in the franchise, you're not going to say no if you truly love it. The reason why Sam Raimi did Spider-Man was because he was a fan of the comics ever since he was a little kid. In fact, George Lucas originally tried to get the film rights to Flash Gordon, so he could do a film version of it because he was a fan of the serials when he was a kid (but due to the film rights being already taken, he ended up doing Star Wars because of it).

I agree with you on this. However, if you had the freedom to pick and choose movies and happen to be a fan of a film franchise like Star Wars and you're approached with the coveted role of director for another film in the franchise, you're not going to say no if you truly love it.

For a sequel film...hell yea. But, again, not if it were a remake.

For a sequel film...hell yea. But, again, not if it were a remake.

Believe me, there are those who have claimed to be fans of the original films that have done remakes. Zack Snyder claimed to be a fan of the original film when it came to his terrible remake of Dawn of the Dead.

Trust me, you're preaching to the choir.

Believe me, there are those who have claimed to be fans of the original films that have done remakes. Zack Snyder claimed to be a fan of the original film when it came to his terrible remake of Dawn of the Dead.

Trust me, you're preaching to the choir.
Not exactly an example of a universally hated remake.

Well, I’m not as upset as some people. It could’ve been Mr Lucas at the helm of the next SW movie and as much as I respect the man, I’m glad it’s not. Could there have been a better choice than Abrams? possibly. But I think he’d do a better job and probably have more enthusiasm than Mr Lucas. So, yeah, it could’ve been worse.

Cheers,

Kraig

"I'm a big fan of the original" is like, "SFX are nothing without a good story" or "We didn't wanna use too much CGI." These are just catchphrases that everyone in the industry has learned to repeat. The tell you pretty much nothing.

Actually they mean that the story and characters are the primary focus of a movie, and that practical sets and effects tend to trump many computer generated effects. Sure they have been said over and over, but it doesn't imply that they're meaningless catch phrases.

I just remember watching his Star Trek thinking I wish the Star Wars prequals had been done like this.

Well - now I get the chance.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw Star Trek in 2009. It made me sad that it was so much better than Lucas' prequels. I think JJ will hit a Grand Slam with Episode 7 and it will be the best SW film since ESB.

8421734744_9ca1660398.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back