Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I think JJ will do well with SW 7, but whatever happened to his previous stance that he wanted to stay with Star Trek only so not to upset the fans of each side. Just an observation.
I have a personal theory (completely unsubstantiated, by the way) that J.J. entered into the Star Trek franchise because he didn't think he'd ever have the chance to direct a Star Wars movie, even up to the point when he made that statement. But when he was officially asked to direct Episode VII...yeah, if I were in his position I'd definitely contradict anything I'd ever said or done previously. :lol

If so, let's hope ship engines sound like ship engines again instead of organs or whatever.
I always thought it was because of different motor systems. One was producing a turbine/jet-like sound, while the other was more of a pulse engine sound. Never did much care for the sound of the space ships in the PT.

I always thought it was because of different motor systems. One was producing a turbine/jet-like sound, while the other was more of a pulse engine sound. Never did much care for the sound of the space ships in the PT.

Something Ben Burtt was experimenting with in the prequels to give it a different feel, or in this case sound, than the OT, back when the Republic was a grander, more art deco type of place, so I read somewhere. I didn't like the effect at all because it made the vehicles sound like musical instruments instead of the mechanical conveyances they were. I don't see where his theory really fit because cars pretty much sound like cars no matter the timeframe here on earth and I don't see why it would have been any different in that galaxy. Just my reasoning...

Something Ben Burtt was experimenting with in the prequels to give it a different feel, or in this case sound, than the OT, back when the Republic was a grander, more art deco type of place, so I read somewhere. I didn't like the effect at all because it made the vehicles sound like musical instruments instead of the mechanical conveyances they were. I don't see where his theory really fit because cars pretty much sound like cars no matter the timeframe here on earth and I don't see why it would have been any different in that galaxy. Just my reasoning...

I felt the same way about the design work. Was it good? Sure. But it was a completely different universe IMO.

Why wait?

attachment.php

Ironically, Threepio does have little lens flares all over him in most of ANH due to the 'stocking over the lens' effect.

I felt the same way about the design work. Was it good? Sure. But it was a completely different universe IMO.

not sure I agree with that.
The Radiant VII ship that docked with QuiGon and Obi Wan at the start of TPM was very much Corellian and was a cross of the concept millenium falcon and the Tantive IV blockade runner,
The Republic assault ships were smaller versions of the Star Destroyer
the Jedi fighters in Rots looked like Tie Fighters and were working in tandem with S foil ARC-170 starfighter that looked like the precursor to the X-Wing, and the Neimoidian shuttle had a nice echo of the Imperial shuttle in RotJ and the Trade Federation cruiser in Rots echoed the Mon Calamari cruisers...

and the list goes on... for me the design was still very good and certainly with millions of star systems there are going to be differences. the Naboo fighters were great and the shiny Queen's ship was nicely done...

In all the issues with the PT I felt the design was still on par.

Last edited:

For all the folks talking about shaking cameras and zooming closeups, you need to watch Super 8.

Pretty sure the camera is grounded and smooth throughout the entire movie.

Which brings up another point. Abrams made Super 8 to replicate a period Spielberg film, and he did it perfectly. I think many of us are overlooking a HUGE deal about Abrams. He is good at replicating the look and feel of existing work. I would hope that it is safe to say he will also do this with Star Wars.

I just remember watching his Star Trek thinking I wish the Star Wars prequals had been done like this.

Well - now I get the chance.

I just hope he includes IG88 assassin droids :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back