Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I would have felt and said the same thing... wouldn't you be excited and honored to be chosen? and we as OT SW fans are/were grateful to Lucas for creating these films when we were kids... and I'd be even moreso grateful if he chose me to direct. so I don't get where 'up his ass' comes from? :unsure it was a very humble if not expected statement.

I'd've definitely said the same things; nothing ingratiating about his statements at all.

Everyone's entitled to their opinions and so far this thread's been full of them, but I think there's a very talented lineup of people in place for the execution of this upcoming episode and I can't help but feel optimistic for its outcome. Not to discredit him as we all owe him a great deal for creating the galaxy that's given us a lot of memories, but we've all gotten what we've all pined for for years, GL stepping aside and letting someone else's mind shape SW. I'm as excited for SW now as I can ever remember being, and that's saying a lot...

I read in the newspaper today that Darth Maul will appear in it, hopefully Ray Park knows about this !!

until its posted officially its rumor. and do you want to see a 70 year old darth maul? strong is the force and who knows how old his species lives ( I like him being in the Clone Wars cartoon) but do you really think he will reappear 60 years later to seek revenge... again? :lol

Last edited:

Methinks someone is confusing it with the Clone Wars cartoon series.

good point. If I am not mistaken the series runs later overseas? I know many tv series are a year behind in places like Germany and Belgium so is the Clone Wars cartoon scheduled differently in the UK than here in the US?

man, talk about derailing this off topic... :lol

So, I wonder if Ben Burt will do the sound effects? He did go to Pixar, which then went to Disney... and he worked on some of JJ's films... as well as Lucas' Red Tails.

So, I wonder if Ben Burt will do the sound effects? He did go to Pixar, which then went to Disney... and he worked on some of JJ's films...

If so, let's hope ship engines sound like ship engines again instead of organs or whatever.

I wonder if Luke will get killed and come back as a force ghost the way Ben did. Ford said he thought Han should have died before the end of the OT.

For a new set of characters to fully take over, I think we are going to see the deaths of some of the original cast, and for me at least, that sounds intense.

Said it before, will say it again. Yes, Luke should be in it and yes, he should die as Obi-Wan did (not in the same way obviously but for the same plot purpose).

Han and Leia should be already dead when the opening credits role. I'm pretty firm in that opinion.
Watching Luke die might affect me more than Agent Coulson for example.

Might? Now granted I'm not a Marvel fan but you're comparing a secondary character from (comic-wise anyway) a secondary group of heroes to Luke Skywalker? :eek

If so, let's hope ship engines sound like ship engines again instead of organs or whatever.

I concur. raw real world sounds mixed like the old days. And like other's have mentioned, real location shoots and less green screen cgi will help ground it.

Here's another angle on JJ I thought had some merit:

Why J.J. Abrams Is A Bad Choice To Direct Star Wars Episode VII | ThinkProgress

Thoughts?

I don't necessarily agree.

He didn't feel the need to explain Red Matter in Star Trek. Nor the details of the Rabbit's Foot in M:I 3. Nor offer up a whole lot about the alien in Super 8.

I think where he gets into trouble is in the long form of a series where he gets to the point eventually where he feels like he has to offer up more detail. And those were the examples cited in the article: Alias and Lost.

In film, he seems perfectly happy to offer up just enough to propel the plot. So I'm able to maintain hope that he won't go down the path of trying to explain the Force.

Also, Abrams did Cloverfield, which I liked.

Matt Reeves directed it. Abrams was the producer, which means all he did was get money for the production and brought the project to the studios (basically he handled the business end of filmmaking while Reeves handled the creative side of filmmaking).

No he didn't... Han was the ONLY one to shoot. No first, no second.

You need this shirt:

Han Shot Greedo White Text | Blended Shirts

Well since you are so tence about past and future . . . in my picture it's J.J. asking wheather Han shot first ... with ??? in the very first theatrical version Greedo shoots but hits the wall wheather this was first or second is trivial . . . so there's no need for me wearing your T-shirt <wave my hand in a jedi manner> :lol

-Chaim

Last edited:

I doubt lens flares will be an issue since it's a fairly intrusive and out of place visual style for Star Wars. I bet JJ over used it in Star Trek just to cling onto some artistic uniqueness. My only concern is the blasted 'self aware' film style with camera shaking, the zooming in and out and material hitting and affecting the camera.

Well since you are so tence about past and future . . . in my picture it's J.J. asking wheather Han shot first ... with ??? in the very first theatrical version Greedo shoots but hits the wall wheather this was first or second is trivial . . . so there's no need for me wearing your T-shirt <wave my hand in a jedi manner> :lol

-Chaim

:lol

You don't need to wear the shirt but you're wrong about the pic and should spread the message. ;)

JJ Should be asking "So Han was the only one to shoot?" :D

In the original release we only hear one blaster shot and see no evidence of Greedo ever shooting. George saying it was always there is BS.

My only concern is the blasted 'self aware' film style with camera shaking, the zooming in and out and material hitting and affecting the camera.

Agreed. It's fun to laugh about lens flare but the real danger here is Star Wars turning into 24.

I'd like some good classic film making. Put that camera on a mount and do it properly. :thumbsup

I think JJ will do well with SW 7, but whatever happened to his previous stance that he wanted to stay with Star Trek only so not to upset the fans of each side. Just an observation.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back