Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars Episode VII

I don't understand how anyone that liked the Star Wars prequels could be worried about J.J and Star Wars. It can't get much worse than the prequels, well, the Holiday Special was pretty bad.

Let's be honest...There is not a director living that will be able to totally recapture the magic of the original Star Wars trilogy. I get that. It was a different time, different place. But if there is anyone that will tackle it with zeal and do his best to make it feel like that again, I believe JJ could be that guy.

I think that the closest modern film to the feel of the OT is Serenity.

And I think it's for much the same reasons.

Whedon had a strong passion for the subject. He also had to try to tell a very complex story within a LOT of limitations. He basically had to try to make it like it was an independent film, despite studio backing.

It's that last part that I think could trip up the Star Wars franchise. I've heard a lot of people suggest that Whedon would be a great director for Star Wars *because* of Serenity, but I don't know that that's automatically true.

Maybe it would be best if Disney started by treating Star Wars like an indie film regardless of who they get to direct it. ;)

I think that the closest modern film to the feel of the OT is Serenity.

And I think it's for much the same reasons.

Whedon had a strong passion for the subject. He also had to try to tell a very complex story within a LOT of limitations. He basically had to try to make it like it was an independent film, despite studio backing.

It's that last part that I think could trip up the Star Wars franchise. I've heard a lot of people suggest that Whedon would be a great director for Star Wars *because* of Serenity, but I don't know that that's automatically true.

Maybe it would be best if Disney started by treating Star Wars like an indie film regardless of who they get to direct it. ;)

That's a very good observation. I am a huge Firefly/Serenity fan and see the comparison you are making. I think it's apt. I agree Wheedon may or may not have been a good option but I think the idea that this film can be made in the indie mindset is next to impossible. The surrounding hype and marketing dollars will be to huge.

Lucas-Abramsshot.jpg

George bringing J.J. up to speed :lol

-Chaim

GL - "You know, I'm just not up for doing another Star Wars trilogy."

JJ - "Hey George - I understand man. You know, maybe you should consider selling it off?" <JJ slowly waves hand>

GL - "Maybe I should consider selling it off."

JJ - "Yeah, maybe to some place like Disney." <more hand gestures>

GL - "Disney might be a good place."

JJ - "Right! And I can direct all the franchises that begin with the word, Star." <gestures again>

GL - "You can direct it too, JJ!"

I think the idea that this film can be made in the indie mindset is next to impossible. The surrounding hype and marketing dollars will be to huge.

Oh, I agree. There is too much invested in the franchise for them to do anything less than throw obscene amounts of money at it in the hopes that it's the key to making it good. :confused

Here's another angle on JJ I thought had some merit:

Why J.J. Abrams Is A Bad Choice To Direct Star Wars Episode VII | ThinkProgress

On the question of Abrams as a fit for Star Wars, I’m deeply ambivalent. I think the franchise has been at its weakest when it’s delving too deeply into the details of its mythology. In the initial trilogy George Lucas and his collaborators had the wisdom to retain the emotional power of the Force as a cinematic device by leaving it relatively mysterious. Once the movies started delving into midichlorians and the manifestations thereof, the Force started to seem clunky and silly, no longer something those of us at home could dream of accessing. Abrams and his collaborators have a weakness for focusing on mysteries and exploring them to death, be they Smoke Monsters, strings of numbers, or aliens rampaging around New York City. I do think there’s an extent to which Abrams will be protected from this tendency by Arndt’s script, and the larger plans of Disney, which will presumably will be thinking about projects like television shows and Zack Snyder’s rumored stand-alone Star Wars movie. But I do think that Abrams’ interests in mysteries are actually a relatively a poor match for the greatest strength of the Star Wars movies: using a mysterious concept to open up a larger world, rather than focusing obsessively on the mystery itself.

But really, the profound disappointment I felt on hearing this news is less about my specific feelings about Abrams as a director. It’s more that franchises like The Avengers, Star Trek, Justice League, and Star Wars are opportunities for writers and directors to exert enormous cultural influence, and to accrue the kind of capital and credibility that can become enormous springboards for their more personal projects. The Avengers, for example, gave Joss Whedon an opportunity to bring his unique spin on female characters to Black Widow, who’d been poorly served in Iron Man 2. And its success won him a long-running and one assumes extraordinarily lucrative position overseeing the franchise: his ideas about superheroism will play a major role in American moviegoing for as much as a decade to come, and the money he makes from it gives him the opportunity to pursue more passion projects like his adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. That is an extraordinarily precious thing, and it makes me terribly sad to see that power concentrated in one person, rather than spread out to a number of people with different interests and perspectives on the kinds of questions raised by our biggest franchises.

Thoughts?

Dear J.J.

Here is a list of approved lens flare techniques should you choose to use them in Star Wars Episode VII!

1. When a ship passes close to a sun and is actually being filmed in space.
2. The green flash seen as the two suns of Tatooine set on the horizon thus summoning all the night creatures of the planet.
3. A camera happens to get too close to the explosion of a third Death Star.
4. When thrusters are ignited on a gigantic Rebellion space ship.
5. R2D2 holographic emitter happens to cross infront of a camera filming him.
6. Two light sabers crossing blades.
7. Each time Uncle George opens his vault and counts his gold coins.

That is all.

Sincerely,

The Star Wars Fandom

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back