Iron Man foam armor help-how about the "seam lines"?

Shilow

Hi everyone,
recently i've started working on my own IM mkVI armor. Thanks to Robo and Stealth with his foam pep files, i will do it entirely with eva foam.
Now i've readed and watched every videos/discussion on the web to know how to work with this tipe of material, but there's one thing i can't figure out well: the "seam lines". On the classical pepakura procedure, after glued everything you can seal and sand all the mistakes and imperfection...but how about the foam way?
I know that after the assembling you can seal everything with Plasti-Dip (or pva glue), than use primer and paint. But is this enough? In particulary i'm worried about the helmet, in almost every pep files, they have some "cuts" that makes possible to curve the paper (or foam), but while i can sand the paper, how can i have a smooth results with foam?
(Here's some image to explain what i mean)

Thanks everyone for the help :)

P.s.: This is not my helmet but just some pics i'm using as references.

The only way to smooth out those areas is if you coat the piece in something like a urethane plastic (EG smooth on 65D), or, as I have seen, something called rondo which is a mix of resin and bondo. Both can get good results. You might, depending on the foam you use, be able to smooth out the seams a little using a sanding drum, but Ive not seen anyone do that yet.

Or you can tape the foam on the outside before gluing the inside. This helps prevent glue seeping out and keeps a tight seam. You can also eliminate the cuts altogether and use heat to shape the curve instead

Thank you kevin!!
Also, i was wandering how to assemble the foam template, they don't have "cuts" like the paper one, they all ends with a little gap...

m9ah01.png

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back